Volunteer Medical Work

lykke

I'm planning to study in Bangkok for a year. I'd like to do some volunteer work (a few hours a week), helping the locals that can't afford health care. Does anyone know who to contact to get involved in such work? Or does anyone have info on "free clinics" needing doctors?

I'm a physician, so I'm not interested in teaching english or anything like that, rather medical work.

Kind regards,

Lykke

Be aware that technically you need a work permit to do volunteer work. Legally, work is work, whether money is involved or not. I understand often a blind eye is turned, but nonetheless you could risk arrest and deportation without the permit. Sadly, it was a real issue after the tsunami for some of the foreign volunteer workers.

Another limitation is that legally you are not licensed to practice medicine in Thailand.

Also, basic primary health care is pretty readily available even to very poor Thais via government run Health Centers and hospitals. Tertiary care can be an issue, but there is less of a problem accessing basic outpatient care than you might expect.

I don't think there is much scope for you in Bangkok. About the only options I can see would be where the work is not with Thais but with displaced persons inside Thailand, for example Burmese refugees, or illegal immigrants in the immigration detention center. Either would need to be through an NGO, try contacting one of these:

Thailand Burma Border Consortium

12/5 Convent Rd., Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Tel: 02-238-5027 Fax: 02-266-5376

Christian Aid, UK

International Rescue Committee, USA

Church World Service, USA,

National Council of Churches in Australia

DanChurchAid, Denmark

Norwegian Church Aid

DIAKONIA, Sweden

ZOA Refugee Care Netherlands

ICCO, Netherlands

International Organization on Migration

I'm planning to study in Bangkok for a year. I'd like to do some volunteer work (a few hours a week), helping the locals that can't afford health care. Does anyone know who to contact to get involved in such work? Or does anyone have info on "free clinics" needing doctors?

I'm a physician, so I'm not interested in teaching english or anything like that, rather medical work.

Kind regards,

Lykke

I worok in big Pharma and I do know some of our Dr's in singapore do voluntary work on a private basis through their churches in Orphanages in northern Thailand.

It is naughty of them as no WP and no registration but I think a blind eye is turned - its very simple stuff i think and if they require anything more we have Thai Dr's on staff with very good contacts plus other contacts through some of our other charity work

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll just wait and see what opportunities I get there. I've thought about working for the embassy or tourcompanies, though it probably isn't as rewarding as the other option.

Lykke