Distraught mother warns over Netflix suicide show 13 Reasons Why after her 12-year-old daughter watched it then took her own life

snoop1130

Distraught mother warns over Netflix suicide show 13 Reasons Why after her 12-year-old daughter watched it then took her own life

By WILLIAM COLE

13130422-6995695-image-a-13_1557100723867.jpg

A grieving mother has pleaded with other parents to think twice about letting their children watch a popular Netflix show after he daughter killed herself after finishing it. 

Rachael Warburton, says her daughter Jessica Scatterson, 12, left a suicide note with 'six reasons to kill herself' before she hanged herself.

She had told her mother that she had been watching 13 Reasons Why, a show about a teenager who commits suicide and leaves a series of recording that attempt to  explain her irrational decision.

A new US study has also found that teen suicides spiked 30 per cent after first season of 13 Reasons Why aired, with the rise mainly driven by boys, although no direct causal link could be made.

Full Story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6995695/Distraught-mother-warns-Netflixs-13-Reasons-daughter-12-took-life.html

• Sad 1

question the mother's parental skills... was the girl abused by someone ?  mental problems or other....   this bullshit again .... violent video games make people shoot others... NO ... I play 35 years already shooters and never went to bash in or shoot anybody

guns & bullets and people with a mental problem (on antidepressants) kill people

next time you take an anti-depressant or give to your child, read the side effects, as it says SUICIDE !!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, justin case said:

question the mother's parental skills... was the girl abused by someone ?  mental problems or other....   this bullshit again .... violent video games make people shoot others... NO ... I play 35 years already shooters and never went to bash in or shoot anybody

guns & bullets and people with a mental problem (on antidepressants) kill people

next time you take an anti-depressant or give to your child, read the side effects, as it says SUICIDE !!!

Is what you are saying Justin, that people aren't influenced or copy by what they see?

• Like 2

There is strong scientific evidence of an association between airing TV shows about teenage suicide and peaks in teenage suicide - in many different countries. Parents need to know this before they allow their 12 year old to watch such material.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, faraday said:

Is what you are saying Justin, that people aren't influenced or copy by what they see?

Of course they are- I feel sad after watching some movies, but even the saddest movie didn't make me want to kill myself.

As said, there had to have been some other reason for her to kill herself. Perhaps she didn't want to give the real reason in the letter, as would have hurt mother too much.

When I left my first partner I told her it was because of her children, but in reality it was because of her, but I didn't want to "hurt" her even more than just leaving her did.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, stancatts said:

There is strong scientific evidence of an association between airing TV shows about teenage suicide and peaks in teenage suicide - in many different countries. Parents need to know this before they allow their 12 year old to watch such material.

IMO the movie doesn't make them kill themselves. IMO they already want to kill themselves, and watching the movie gave them the impetus to do so then. IMO, even had they not watched the movie, they'd still have killed themselves eventually.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, justin case said:

Should children ever be given anti depressants? IMO not.

I've been on them, and they don't cure the problem, just suppress it.