Bringing Home Dvds

Hi all, I used the search engine but I couldn't find anything that answered this question:

Am I allowed to bring home a sizable collection of DVDs? I live in Canada, and am wondering if anyone knows about the taxes/duties, etc that might come into to play if I were bringing home, say, 250 DVDs?

Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks,

BFD!

I'm not familiar with Canada but, with the exception of tobacco and alcohol, duties are generally payable when you're bringing in valued more than a certian value. For example, in the US, American citizens can bring in $400 worth of stuff without paying any duty. Above $400, the duty is 10%. I'm sure Canada is similar and I suggest that you check the Canadian customs website.

Hi all, I used the search engine but I couldn't find anything that answered this question:

Am I allowed to bring home a sizable collection of DVDs? I live in Canada, and am wondering if anyone knows about the taxes/duties, etc that might come into to play if I were bringing home, say, 250 DVDs?

Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks,

BFD!

You didn't say if they are genuine DVD's or copies as I am sure it would make a huge difference

Uh... these are copies. Is that good or bad for my cause?

Thanks,

BFD!

Probably bad, since your country most likely have regulations that would prohibit you from bringing in illegal copies of movies (or software). The DVD's will probably be conficated and you would very likely be fined as well (of course assuming you are stopped in the first case).

Not all countries have such regulations though. And if Canada doesn't you could argue that the value of copies should be less than that of originals, so any tax should be less as well :o However, I would be surprised if Canada doesn't enforce copyright enfringements on movies, with it's close proximity and free trade agreements with the U.S.

Sophon

I'm not familiar with Canada but, with the exception of tobacco and alcohol, duties are generally payable when you're bringing in valued more than a certian value. For example, in the US, American citizens can bring in $400 worth of stuff without paying any duty. Above $400, the duty is 10%. I'm sure Canada is similar and I suggest that you check the Canadian customs website.

I thought it was more than $400. More like $800.

I think it depends on how long you were outside of Canada. For a short trip, under a month, I believe you must pay duty on everything over $100. There is a form to complete in which you put down the article, and its value. This provides you with the opportunity to put down the real value of the item you purchased; however, the prudent traveller might not want to advertise that these are not legitimate items as the Great White North authorities are trying to adhere to worldwide regulations re copyrighted material. This is in response to complaints from our neighbour to the south, that has pointed out most of the counterfeit movies and so on that enter America originate in Toronto and Vancouver.

Uh... these are copies. Is that good or bad for my cause?

Thanks,

BFD!

Here's the opinion of a friend working at Canada Border Services:

Your chances are almost certain that they will take a close look at that many dvds as their Canadian value would be over $4000. If they suspect they are copies they will be confiscated and you will be charged under the copyright act. I doubt you'd get the maximum $1,000,000 fine or five years, but you won't walk away without a charge.

In short, if they were legit you would be looking at a few hundred dollars duty plus GST. That they are fakes, means you'll be talking to the RCMP in a small room in the airport and in the end they will be very expensive DVDs that you are unable to view.

Either way, you've lost whatever money you invested in them, and as they're rip offs.... som nom na.

I really can't comment about Canada, but assuming they are similar to the US you might be okay. The last time I came home to San Francisco, I brought back about the same ammount of DVD's. Tons of new movies, Full-Season TV Shows (24, X-Files, Friends, etc.), and some music (but not many). Anyway, they were definitely of the pirated version (but play perfect and look perfect) and bought in Myanmar on Visa Runs. When the customs agent opened my bag he searched and saw the DVD's and he asked me where I bought these. I said Thailand. He looked at them and said: "You know they are most likely pirated." And I kind of shrugged my shoulders. Basically he said: "I could confiscate them, but instead, next time you go, just don't buy stuff like DVD's." Anyway, I'm sure it depends how long you have been in Thailand as well. When I only go for a month, they don't check my bags at all upon arrival. When I come to Thailand for an extended period and have visa run stamps from Myanmar, I have always been searched (sometimes thourough, sometimes hardly even look inside the bags). What I would recommend is rather than bringing home the DVD's in their original packaging, maybe get a couple of CD books where you can put DVD's in the sleeves. That way, it kind of shows they are for personal use rather than for sale, and will most likely turn a blind eye to it. Anyway, not sure if that helps. Good Luck!!!

I really can't comment about Canada, but assuming they are similar to the US you might be okay.

I just quoted an actual Canadian customs agent saying he wouldn't. Don't give out dangerous advice based on another country's laws. This isn't a small fine if he gets caught.