Coverage for kidney failure treatment expanded

rooster59

Coverage for kidney failure treatment expanded

By The Nation

The Social Welfare Fund has expanded benefits for workers to cover the high cost of kidney failure treatment.

Ananchai Uthaipattanacheep, secretary general of Social Welfare Office, said kidney failure patients, who are insured under the fund, are eligible for normal dialysis treatment at Bt1,500 per treatment but the cost is limited to Bt4,500 per two weeks.

Patients who are insured under the social welfare scheme are also eligible for continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) at a cost of Bt20,000 per month, he added.

Patients are also eligible for the medical cost of a kidney transplant and the cost of an immune control drug throughout their life, Anachai added.

Those eligible for a kidney transplant must be diagnosed to be in the last stage of kidney failure, based on the levels of their serum bun and serum creatinine, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30371949

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-29

2 hours ago, TPI said:

That's doing it cheap,  many ordinary Thai patients could afford THB 4,000 a month!

COULD??? Its Bt4,500 per two weeks. NOT A MONTH !

9000 bath a month is the whole salary of many ordinary Thai people.

Edited by LongTang
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, LongTang said:

This should be a basic service in a public health system

And who'd pay for it? A lot of Thais never pay a single cent of taxes. Can't expect much back if you don't contribute. No free lunches.

My wife’s mother who lives in the poor peoples village has the 30baht scheme and has just been diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure 

im not sure if she will receive the needed treatment from the system unless we pay for it?

I didn’t understand this part either..

are eligible for normal dialysis treatment at Bt1,500 per treatment but the cost is limited to Bt4,500 per two weeks.”

..is this the cost for those who have social security? How about the 30baht scheme people?

..and I guess this means if you need more than one treatment per week the maximum cost is limited to 9000/month?

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 7:09 PM, DrTuner said:

And who'd pay for it? A lot of Thais never pay a single cent of taxes. Can't expect much back if you don't contribute. No free lunches.

..how about those expensive watches with no receipts worn by the leaders, whilst the poor can’t afford treatment to stay alive.

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:09 PM, DrTuner said:

Update..

My wife's sister today reported back that at the hospital facility in Isaan where her mother is being kept, all the patients in the hospital have only two crapper bowls to share between them all, to take a crap in.

Money isn't getting to where it should be going to..

My own guess is that because the hospital is question in a small town it is simply overlooked and forgotten about.

These people don't have many options, they are being treated unfairly.

PS - this is not a sob story for me to dig into my pockets, this is something my wife was told by her sister, they havn't asked me for anything and to be fair Ive seen a similar shit hole hospital myself when wife's nephew was in hospital - no bedding, no sheets, just a 2 inch think water proof mattress. This was a 7 year old child on the same ward with older people who were potentially living their final days.

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Update..

My wife's sister today reported back that at the hospital facility in Isaan where her mother is being kept, all the patients in the hospital have only two crapper bowls to share between them all, to take a crap in.

Money isn't getting to where it should be going to..

My own guess is that because the hospital is question in a small town it is simply overlooked and forgotten about.

These people don't have many options, they are being treated unfairly.

Thanks for the update.

Very sad to hear about the situation.

I assume that even if people like her had some of the money for the treatment, They still will need to pay the expanses of traveling to a far away Medical complex to receive the treatment(not always possible by bus in their condition) as well as to pay for the accommodations over there..

• Like 1