Who Has Visited The New Rimping

p1p

Must say - I find the idea iof fried beer quite intriguing myself.

There's one in every crowd <sigh> - fry the tendons in hot oil with fresh chili (2 - 20 depending on cast iron durability of digestive organs), drain onto paper towel - depending on the Thai bar it could be yesterdays newspaper, then put in a small bowl with fried chili slices. Eat between frequent quaffs of beer. The actual frequency of the quaffs vs nibbles is entirely up to the individual consumer.

:D

CB

Chickens tendons...You have been here too long mate..

Just go here and fill in the details... http://www.lastminute.com/site/find/World/...ia--Flight.html

64e08db.gif

LOL :o

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say - I find the idea iof fried beer quite intriguing myself.

There's one in every crowd <sigh> - fry the tendons in hot oil with fresh chili (2 - 20 depending on cast iron durability of digestive organs), drain onto paper towel - depending on the Thai bar it could be yesterdays newspaper, then put in a small bowl with fried chili slices. Eat between frequent quaffs of beer. The actual frequency of the quaffs vs nibbles is entirely up to the individual consumer.

:o

CB

Chickens tendons...You have been here too long mate..

Just go here and fill in the details... http://www.lastminute.com/site/find/World/...ia--Flight.html

64e08db.gif

Mate many a happy time I have had nibbling on the wife's chicken tendons :D

Mate many a happy time I have had nibbling on the wife's chicken tendons :o

Fully agree with that sentiment too. Although I was, of course, referring to the light of my, not your, life........

Wish I could get rid of her desire to cook parrot tendons though.......

Mate many a happy time I have had nibbling on the wife's chicken tendons :D

Fully agree with that sentiment too. Although I was, of course, referring to the light of my, not your, life........

Wish I could get rid of her desire to cook parrot tendons though.......

I fully understand what you meant unlike some of this forum who have to reach up high to get their mind out of the gutter :o

Parrot tendons - wonder if Rimping have them in stock (still desperate to keep this on topic :D)

Old Australian Recipe for broiled Galah (type of pink and gray parrot - commonly found in noisy flocks, screaching like Essendon football supporters)

1. Light a fire - the bigger the better

2. Take one galah - pluck the bird, gut, clean, and place into large pot filled with fresh water

3) Take one large chunk of granite and place in the pot on top of the bird

4) Boil until rock softens, discard the bird, eat rock

5) serves 4 - 6 depending on the size of the rock

Galahs may not cook well. hence they are, to the best of my knowledge, not stocked in Rimping. (Unless they can be found in the exotics section of the Night Safari branch.)

However they do make very good, loving and easily trainable pets. D#mned expensive here in Thailand though.

Strange that a common, "pest" bird like the galah should be over double the price of some other highly endangered species. (Examples edited out.)

They may not be stocked at Rimping, but theres plenty of "Galah's" in Chiang Mai, quite a few on this forum as well... go here for the meaning http://www.dagree.net/aussieslang/slang_g.html

Galahs are a common bird found across much of Australia, they congregate in huge flocks and the noise can be deafening. Similar to the Common Gray or Silver gull which frequent the MCG in the hope of catching a stray chip from an unsuspecting Cricket lover they are found in large numbers in industrial areas such as around Air Fields in the Moorabbin area. They descend en masse onto the old Windyhill oval and squark uncontrolably. They are messy and have been know to destroy whole areas of seating in their frenzy. The more refined Crows, Eagles and such who have in recent years replaced the commong Essendon Galah over the years look on with disdain but accept that the one benefit is that the majority of galahs will congregate in one flock although there has been similar sightings amongst the common Magpie which infests inner Melbourne. Fortunately these are natural enemies and there is little chance on them interbreeding which will prevent the offspring moving to Footscray. The common Moorabbin galah has some ability to talk but this should not be mistaken for inteligence.Studies have proven that these noxious pests can speak but have no idea what they are saying.

After a large amount of money was spent by the Australian Football League (AFL) studying ways to reduce the problem the only solution (after they had discounted - shooting, poisoning, or otherwise exterminating the bloody things) was to pick up lock, stock, and football boots and relocate to the Docklands under a new Telstra Stadium. The idea was simple that by making it so difficult for these animals to travel there it would cause them to stay in the outer blocks of otherwise uninhabitable areas for human beings. They could breed uncontrolably amongst themselves and eventually may die out and join the VFA with other anacronisms of bygone days.

Sadly this has not been a fully successful plan and like cockroaches and rats it appears these pests will survive nuclear and biological control methods and infest the otherwise pristine fields of the Australian Landscape.

:o

CB

Back on topic

The only problem with the new Rimping Superstore at the airport fly-over is FINDING it! I looked opposite the big Toyota dealer, I went down the side of the fly-over and looked in the Amway/Budget car park, kept left round the golf driving range and turned left back into the city. Nowhere! But on my second lap of the block I FOUND it, thanks only to a smiling security guard!

As soon as you are into the slip road ('off ramp' in US-speak?) look up into the sky and see the towering NIM sign in red and white. Slap the brakes on at the foot of the NIM sign (whoever they are?), turn hairpin left at the security man and there's Rimping and their vast car park! There are 2 Very small Rimping signs, but as you busily try to avoid accidents you could easily miss them both.

As per Rimping-on-the-ring-road there are many locations for other shops in the complex, but so far only one major one, Daiso, is established. This is worth a 15 minute browse in itself. Crammed with giftware, stationery and other non-food items, ALL priced at 65 baht each!

Once you are inside, this Rimping comes over as the most stylish of the whole chain so far. An operatic soprano greeted me through the speakers as I wandered through the fresh food - and assistants who meet you in the eye and give greeting smiles, rather than nervously looking the other way, as is more commonplace around here. Bigger than the penultimate Gad Farang Rimping way down Hang Dong Road, yet smaller than Central Ring Road, this one seems to have even more emphasis on 'luxury' food and drink items. Do you like your saki warm or cold? They must have 30 different varieties. The refrigerated 'cave' (wine room) is not only the size of most other store's whole wine selection, it has bottles ranging from 350b to over 3,500b.

The value for money on wines, spirits and deli items makes the dull Tops (across the road in the Airport Shopping Plaza) look like unimaginative highwaymen.

The Rimping cheese selection and deli here are utterly drool-worthy and both offered modest complementary tastings when I was there on March 29th. Go see and enjoy, and then let that security man stop the traffic and let you out again! Khun Phairoj and his team have proved yet again that it IS possible for men to enjoy shopping!

Back on topic

The only problem with the new Rimping Superstore at the airport fly-over is FINDING it! I looked opposite the big Toyota dealer, I went down the side of the fly-over and looked in the Amway/Budget car park, kept left round the golf driving range and turned left back into the city. Nowhere! But on my second lap of the block I FOUND it, thanks only to a smiling security guard!

So is it in the same group as the Budget rent a car because I went there last night and couldn't find it in my desperate hunt to find vegemite. Down to the last scrapings in the jar and the one on the river had sold out (sigh)

Back on topic

So is it in the same group as the Budget rent a car because I went there last night and couldn't find it in my desperate hunt to find vegemite. Down to the last scrapings in the jar and the one on the river had sold out (sigh)

Try the Mee Chok branch they had some they other day.. Look here http://www.rimping.com/location.html

Back on topic

No - It's the entrance BEFORE the one to Budget.

The new bakery section looks really professional. As I understand it they spent quite and few million Baht on a new oven to cook their own bread in house, train the staff which has moved from 1 at Chontana to 7/8 staff at the new branch.

I was there yesterday but was hard pressed to see any bread they had actually cooked themselves! Most of it is the same stuff they used to get from other outside sources. I bought a bagette as we had friends coming for a meal the same night. The bagette was pretty hard when we came to serve it up and would have presented a problem for anybody with anything but the toughest of teeth (false teeth merchants - forget it) :o .

This morning, what little was left over of the bagette was like concrete! :D Need to work harder on the receipes. :D

The new bakery section looks really professional. As I understand it they spent quite and few million Baht on a new oven to cook their own bread in house, train the staff which has moved from 1 at Chontana to 7/8 staff at the new branch.

I was there yesterday but was hard pressed to see any bread they had actually cooked themselves! Most of it is the same stuff they used to get from other outside sources. I bought a bagette as we had friends coming for a meal the same night. The bagette was pretty hard when we came to serve it up and would have presented a problem for anybody with anything but the toughest of teeth (false teeth merchants - forget it) :o .

This morning, what little was left over of the bagette was like concrete! :D Need to work harder on the receipes. :bah:

I don't know where you are from, but after my stint in France i would have to say that is "A French Baguette" down to a tee, hard on the outside ,soft on the inside.. Superb.. Maybe the "oldies" boil them first.. :D :D :D

Edited by Austhaied

This morning, what little was left over of the bagette was like concrete! :D Need to work harder on the receipes. :o

I don't know where you are from, but after my stint in France i would have to say that is "A French Baguette" down to a tee, hard on the outside ,soft on the inside.. Superb.. Maybe the "oldies" boil them first.. :D :D :bah:

I agree with you soft on the inside and hardish on the outside. This bagette was hard all the way through :D next time we'll soak it overnight to give it a bit of give :bah:

This morning, what little was left over of the bagette was like concrete! :D Need to work harder on the receipes. :o

I don't know where you are from, but after my stint in France i would have to say that is "A French Baguette" down to a tee, hard on the outside ,soft on the inside.. Superb.. Maybe the "oldies" boil them first.. :D :D :bah:

I agree with you soft on the inside and hardish on the outside. This bagette was hard all the way through :D next time we'll soak it overnight to give it a bit of give :bah:

I'm afraid I tend to agree with Austhaied on thi one. I bought two or three bakery items from the new bakery section and all gave the impression of being at least a day old at time of purchase. Not a good recommendation, nor good practice if my impressions were correct.

Anyway, there is a good way to revive an old baguette or other (whole) loaf:

Take your bread and place it under a running tap. Ensure the entire crust is wet then transfer it to a very hot oven. This will re-crispen the crust and drive some of the water into the middle of the loaf as steam. When you come to eat it it will be like a newly baked loaf.

If the bread is stone hard all the way through, or a larger loaf, it needs a bit more work. Wrap in a few layers of unwanted, old, clean cloth and place under the tap until the cloth is wet through. Put into the oven until the outside of the cloth is dry. Unwrap the loaf and put back in the oven to crispen the crust.

This morning, what little was left over of the bagette was like concrete! :D Need to work harder on the receipes. :D

Sprinkle a little water on it, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and you will have soft, warm french stick.

I was there yesterday but was hard pressed to see any bread they had actually cooked themselves! Most of it is the same stuff they used to get from other outside sources. I bought a bagette as we had friends coming for a meal the same night. The bagette was pretty hard when we came to serve it up and would have presented a problem for anybody with anything but the toughest of teeth (false teeth merchants - forget it) :D .

Sprinkle a little water on it, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and you will have soft, warm french stick.

Good tip, maybe someone should tell Rimping! :o

This morning, what little was left over of the bagette was like concrete! :o Need to work harder on the receipes. :D

Sorry, but putting baked goods in a microwave is not a good idea. It turns the small amount of water inside the bread/bun/croissant or whatever into steam and forces it towards the surface and out. The result is that your bread/bun/croissant becomes first hot and tough, then hard as concrete. Besides, if you leave it in too long, it will burn (from the inside out).

Baked goods should always be heated/reheated through applied external heat only.

Back on topic

No - It's the entrance BEFORE the one to Budget.

Found it - I came over from the other direction over the fly over and spotted the sign - have you ever noticed that when you know where a place is how easy it is to find it? :o

Not the cheapest on some things, but cheaper than Tesco Lotus on other items. Offer on at the moment is 5 litres of IMPORTED Heineken for B 650.

Good wine selection too.

What I really liked was the ability to shop for alcohol during the prohibition period because one can have the shopping home delivered free of charge later that day (and yes, they kept the perishable goods chilled) :o

What I really liked was the ability to shop for alcohol during the prohibition period because one can have the shopping home delivered free of charge later that day (and yes, they kept the perishable goods chilled) :o

That IS good service! :D

What I really liked was the ability to shop for alcohol during the prohibition period because one can have the shopping home delivered free of charge later that day (and yes, they kept the perishable goods chilled)

Good service, indeed.

Had never occurred to me to expect this; have always taken the perishable goods home with me.

This morning, what little was left over of the bagette was like concrete!
I went a few days ago, pang! I kind of like that sculpted concrete walk outside though and it gave me an idea for my house.

Could there be a connection between the concrete baguettes and the sculpted concrete wall?