Advice For Renting A House

Hi there,

My family and I are travelling to Koh Samui on or around the 7th of June for approx 2 months. We're going to rent a house but have been told to wait till we get there. I have a few small questions I'm hoping some of you here can answer so we don't get caught out:

1) How do we know what houses are for rent? Do they just have a big sign saying "FOR RENT" outside or do we have to go to an agent or something

2) Are there any hidden costs we need to be aware of or scams? For example do some places get advertised cheap and have huge utility or service costs attached?

3) Aside from the monthly rental, what other costs will we incur? Power, water, phone, etc I assume.

I just don't want to sign up to something and have some sneaky cost dumped on us.

Furthermore, if anyone here has a nice place on Koh Samui they are wanting to rent out during this time let me know some details. Budget anywhere between 20-40k a month depending on property. We're after something away from the busy-ness of Chaweng but with some decent amenities close buy, not to mention a nice beach. Needs aircon and pool too.

1) They are a lot of signs "House for Rent", most of them have just one bedroom, so too small for you and your family. The price for a nice 2 bedrooms-house is starting from 20.000 Baths/month (not on the beach!)

You can also go to an agent, they can show you a Villa with Pool and Seaview starting 40.000, no limit. Be aware that many of these offers are on a sloapy hill with continous construction work. Check their websites, there are a lot of them.

2) You have to pay deposit and you have to pay the first of the month. Normally you will not get any contract. For the "Paradise Villas" everything is more professional. Hidden coasts are not common on Samui, as far as I know. Be aware that the agency doesnt know the status-quo of the holiday homes they offer for rent.

3) Power, water, ADSL und UBC (Satellite-TV), up to 5.000 a month, depending on your power-consumption. For power, you can check your meter ad compare with the bill. Water is about 500 B, ADSL about 1000 B, UBC is 1500 B (per month).

Cheers from Nathon,

Claude Feller

Edited by ClaudeFeller

I would have thought that waiting until you arrived here with the family might be a little uncomfortable and in the long run more expensive if you end up having to stay in a hotel at walk in rates for a couple of days until you find something.

Google will bring you up a long list of agents offering villa rentals on Samui so you can have look at what you are likely to get for your money and have a good idea before you come. Any professional agent will give you full details and a contract which will tell you what is and what is not included in the rent. If they do not - you are talking to the wrong people.

Certainly you can expect to pay extra for electricity but with fixed costs such as UBC that may be included - but do check.

Hi there,

My family and I are travelling to Koh Samui on or around the 7th of June for approx 2 months. We're going to rent a house but have been told to wait till we get there. I have a few small questions I'm hoping some of you here can answer so we don't get caught out:

1) How do we know what houses are for rent? Do they just have a big sign saying "FOR RENT" outside or do we have to go to an agent or something

2) Are there any hidden costs we need to be aware of or scams? For example do some places get advertised cheap and have huge utility or service costs attached?

3) Aside from the monthly rental, what other costs will we incur? Power, water, phone, etc I assume.

I just don't want to sign up to something and have some sneaky cost dumped on us.

Furthermore, if anyone here has a nice place on Koh Samui they are wanting to rent out during this time let me know some details. Budget anywhere between 20-40k a month depending on property. We're after something away from the busy-ness of Chaweng but with some decent amenities close buy, not to mention a nice beach. Needs aircon and pool too.

Hello!

My name is Mack and i am at the moment manager for a small longterm resort called lakeview bungalow. Our location is on the lakeroad in chaweng, its about five minutes from the beach. Although its quite close to chaweng nightlife its a long enough distance to make it a quiet place. Nice environment and perfect for kids. We have a nice swimmingpool as well. At the moment we have a two-bedroomhouse availible for rent.Aircond,tv,dvd,microvawe,fridge is standard. We also have one-bedroom houses and in june im sure we can put some kind of good alternative together for you. The two-bedroom house is 30000/mounth and the one-bedroom house is 15000 per mounth. All is included (no mate service), the only things you have to pay on top of the rent is electric (about 500-1500 depending on how much you use aircond.) and cocking-gas (300 one bottle,last probably 2 mounths). We also have extras like cheap motorbike-rental (2500/mounth) and wireless adsl (700/mounth). Laundryservice come and pick your laundry up 600/mounth per person, if you want. That is all the expenses you should expect on top of the rent. You (or anybody else reading this post) are very welcome with further questions or reservations on our e-mail : [email protected].

I would have thought that waiting until you arrived here with the family might be a little uncomfortable and in the long run more expensive if you end up having to stay in a hotel at walk in rates for a couple of days until you find something.

Google will bring you up a long list of agents offering villa rentals on Samui so you can have look at what you are likely to get for your money and have a good idea before you come. Any professional agent will give you full details and a contract which will tell you what is and what is not included in the rent. If they do not - you are talking to the wrong people.

Certainly you can expect to pay extra for electricity but with fixed costs such as UBC that may be included - but do check.

I've booked a reasonable priced hotel for a week while we find a place. I've looked at loads of houses for rent over there and have a good idea what places are worth, my only reservation booking one in advance is that sometimes pictures can be deceiving and I would like to check out most of the island first to find a spot we like the most.

I'd emailed half a dozen agents, most of whom never responded and those that did just wanted a deposit in advance and weren't really that obliging on information.

Cheers for the advice. Whats UBC?

Hi there,

Hello!

My name is Mack and i am at the moment manager for a small longterm resort called lakeview bungalow. Our location is on the lakeroad in chaweng, its about five minutes from the beach. Although its quite close to chaweng nightlife its a long enough distance to make it a quiet place. Nice environment and perfect for kids. We have a nice swimmingpool as well. At the moment we have a two-bedroomhouse availible for rent.Aircond,tv,dvd,microvawe,fridge is standard. We also have one-bedroom houses and in june im sure we can put some kind of good alternative together for you. The two-bedroom house is 30000/mounth and the one-bedroom house is 15000 per mounth. All is included (no mate service), the only things you have to pay on top of the rent is electric (about 500-1500 depending on how much you use aircond.) and cocking-gas (300 one bottle,last probably 2 mounths). We also have extras like cheap motorbike-rental (2500/mounth) and wireless adsl (700/mounth). Laundryservice come and pick your laundry up 600/mounth per person, if you want. That is all the expenses you should expect on top of the rent. You (or anybody else reading this post) are very welcome with further questions or reservations on our e-mail : [email protected].

Cheers Mack, we'll come and see you when we get over there!

Hi there,

Hello!

Cheers Mack, we'll come and see you when we get over there!

GOOD decision, it the best way all around.

if your thinking about anywhere near the lake make sure you go when the lakeview black moon etc parties are on. i live over a mile away and am regularly kept awake or woken up during the night when they are on. they finish about 6 in the morning as does solo bar which can be heard around the same area.

if you are looking at that sort of price you will have a decent place which means a lucrative target for robbers. break ins are very common now so make sure security is good especially if you have children.

if your thinking about anywhere near the lake make sure you go when the lakeview black moon etc parties are on. i live over a mile away and am regularly kept awake or woken up during the night when they are on. they finish about 6 in the morning as does solo bar which can be heard around the same area.

if you are looking at that sort of price you will have a decent place which means a lucrative target for robbers. break ins are very common now so make sure security is good especially if you have children.

Cheers for the advice, we really want somewhere quiet, which is why we'd prefer to stay away from Chaweng altogether.

Robbers? How common is "very common" - any worse than any european city?

Below are 5 differnt posts from another article on Thai Visa make your own mind up based on that. robbery is very comon here, i live in a secure area now, family are also local police, have night security and several dogs. Barbed wire fence all around perimiter, sounds like colditz not paradise i know but 4 of my 6 neighbours were burgled at previous locations, one of them 5 times in 6 months. House on the beach not a chance way to dangerous. just my thoughts but you can see what other people think. to many migrant workers here who are virtually untraceable. my advice is do not get some where to remote, i live in a reasonably busy area but robberies even rape are not uncommon as you can see from previous posts. best advice is from people who have lived here for a few years and seen the change, many people leaving comments on this forum about Samui do not live here, and have not had the oppurtunity to see how things are now. just my opinion though and i know i will probably get some flack for it but as you can see below i am not the only one who feels the same. to answer your question robbery very common per capita of people way above any other city i have any knowledge of.

Absolutely terrible to read about, and so sorry for the whole family...A 5 year old boy..Totally shocked.

I am the father of an 8 year old half thai half farang boy, living on Samui..Have been here 3 years, and never seen any animosity or jealousy from Thai people...However, the number of murders, shootings, road traffic deaths and serious accidents, coupled with some very shady charachters coming to live here is slowly edging me towards packing up and returning to the rat race back in Britain....Nothing is worth more than the life of a child, and the complete failure of the police here to do anything to offer us a secure environment to live in is beyond a joke...

I feel sorry for the Husband being so far away and maybe no one to call to get info. This case is sad but a fact of life on Samui or any where in Thailand buy the local thai paper and you will see pictures of children murdered or girls raped. Samui is getting a bit more dangerous it's time to buy a bigger dog and build a fence.

In short what they should be saying is there is a brutal murderer out there we have no clue who it is and people should be on their guard making sure they lock their windows and doors particularly at night!

horror to think there are such mad perverts out there who kill even infants for robbery. even in this more quiet part of samui robbery and crime increase as building increases... i know it happens anywhere in the world but is still so bitter

this is a small island and a small population but murders and people killed in motor accidents is a very high percentage per population, don't ask me to give figures.

So from the sounds of it no worse than anywhere else on the planet then? I could pull a newspaper out any day of the week in my own country and have similar tales of woe.

Its a bit tricky to say without figures whether things are that bad on Samui, I imagine being a small island as you say, that bad news gets around really fast.

So from the sounds of it no worse than anywhere else on the planet then? I could pull a newspaper out any day of the week in my own country and have similar tales of woe.

Its a bit tricky to say without figures whether things are that bad on Samui, I imagine being a small island as you say, that bad news gets around really fast.

Thank you for a sensible post.

I find it amazing that hecky can make such a sweeping statement about Samui but then have absolutely no facts to back it up.

Below are 5 differnt posts from another article on Thai Visa make your own mind up based on that. robbery is very comon here, i live in a secure area now, family are also local police, have night security and several dogs. Barbed wire fence all around perimiter, sounds like colditz not paradise i know but 4 of my 6 neighbours were burgled at previous locations, one of them 5 times in 6 months. House on the beach not a chance way to dangerous. just my thoughts but you can see what other people think. to many migrant workers here who are virtually untraceable. my advice is do not get some where to remote, i live in a reasonably busy area but robberies even rape are not uncommon as you can see from previous posts. best advice is from people who have lived here for a few years and seen the change, many people leaving comments on this forum about Samui do not live here, and have not had the oppurtunity to see how things are now. just my opinion though and i know i will probably get some flack for it but as you can see below i am not the only one who feels the same. to answer your question robbery very common per capita of people way above any other city i have any knowledge of.

Absolutely terrible to read about, and so sorry for the whole family...A 5 year old boy..Totally shocked.

I am the father of an 8 year old half thai half farang boy, living on Samui..Have been here 3 years, and never seen any animosity or jealousy from Thai people...However, the number of murders, shootings, road traffic deaths and serious accidents, coupled with some very shady charachters coming to live here is slowly edging me towards packing up and returning to the rat race back in Britain....Nothing is worth more than the life of a child, and the complete failure of the police here to do anything to offer us a secure environment to live in is beyond a joke...

I feel sorry for the Husband being so far away and maybe no one to call to get info. This case is sad but a fact of life on Samui or any where in Thailand buy the local thai paper and you will see pictures of children murdered or girls raped. Samui is getting a bit more dangerous it's time to buy a bigger dog and build a fence.

In short what they should be saying is there is a brutal murderer out there we have no clue who it is and people should be on their guard making sure they lock their windows and doors particularly at night!

horror to think there are such mad perverts out there who kill even infants for robbery. even in this more quiet part of samui robbery and crime increase as building increases... i know it happens anywhere in the world but is still so bitter

this is a small island and a small population but murders and people killed in motor accidents is a very high percentage per population, don't ask me to give figures.

um, did you neglect to mention that the assailant knew the victims? he was her ex boyfriend. this was not a random act of violence.

there are better examples you could have come up with had you meant to inforamtive rather than obnoxious

Edited by t.s

I also live here and I can assure you it is a safe place to visit with your family and you will have a good time as you rightly point out that nowhere is exempt from crime.

If you have a young family I would not recommend anywhere near the lake. Once a week there is a party and the mind numbing base music will keep your children awake all night.

I think you are doing the right thing by staying in a hotel for your first week then I would suggest you hire a car and have a drive around.

Have a great time.

He will be there when the party is on, now if you read before you write you would see that he is gonna be there for two mounths, since you have so much problems sleeping (you fart badly?) during the party you probably know its on every mounth. I say its not that big deal anymore, its not so loud and its not that often. Lately they been turning down the volume due to complains. On the other hand, if you are in samui with children, where could be better to stay than on the lakeroad??? I mean you have close distance to everything children want. You have family activities such as fotball golf,monkey theater,crocodile farm,gocart,miniatyr golf,mcdonalds(kids love!),and etc,etc, all within basicly 10 minuites drive maximum. Sure, the party might keep you awake when its on, but whats the problem?? Take a good nap the next day and youre back in buisness. And the crime-situation is not any worse in samui than in the rest of the world. Hecky, go back to jerusalem and live the perfect life while the rest of us enjoy the "danger" of samui.

He will be there when the party is on, now if you read before you write you would see that he is gonna be there for two mounths, since you have so much problems sleeping (you fart badly?) during the party you probably know its on every mounth. I say its not that big deal anymore, its not so loud and its not that often. Lately they been turning down the volume due to complains. On the other hand, if you are in samui with children, where could be better to stay than on the lakeroad??? I mean you have close distance to everything children want. You have family activities such as fotball golf,monkey theater,crocodile farm,gocart,miniatyr golf,mcdonalds(kids love!),and etc,etc, all within basicly 10 minuites drive maximum. Sure, the party might keep you awake when its on, but whats the problem?? Take a good nap the next day and youre back in buisness. And the crime-situation is not any worse in samui than in the rest of the world. Hecky, go back to jerusalem and live the perfect life while the rest of us enjoy the "danger" of samui.

I disagree with you about Chaweng Lake would be the best place for a family holiday - the place is busy, dirty, noisy and dangerous because of the traffic. And I disagree with your statment about the crime situation - there are a lot of robberys in Chaweng and in Lamai, the rest of the island is secure for a farang.

Cheers, Claude

I think it depends on what you want and how much time you want to spend transporting your family from one venue to another. It is true you can find some peace and quiet near the beach in the more remote areas of the island, of course at night time you are in a remote are and security does become more of an issue. I for one have a family and when I travel i like to be close the things that interest me so that I do not need to spend too much time transporting the family.

Lake view Bungalows is near a party venue that offers music 2 night per month that runs until 6 a.m. having said this it is also a short drive from the best beaches, tessco lotus, hospitals, shops, banks, bars, some of the best internationl restaurants in thailand, travel agents.

Lakeview bungalows also offers a very safe and secure gated envioroment, the garden is huge, with a beautiful green zone allowing the children to play basketball, soccer, volley ball, or badmitten, and when they are done with field sport they can play in the child friendly pool.

IMHO being able to spend more quality time with my family at play is more important than price.

Thank you for a sensible post.

I find it amazing that hecky can make such a sweeping statement about Samui but then have absolutely no facts to back it up.

the statements were from other posts on TV. my city back home had population of 300,000 i never picked it up and read about 6 murders in a month

local newspaper reports increasing crime, prison already full to overflow after only being open a few months, i have lived here 8 years and go out regularly so i use my eyes. you tell me where facts and figures are available. local newspaper reports about 5/6 murders a month with a population of 48,000 facts from lacal newspaper

what area of samui do you live on as matter of interest. do you by any chance rely on tourist for a living

Below is another bunch of facts from the press posted on TV, i noticed you did not like this post either, the Dane executed was i guy i knew and had been chatting with a few hours earlier, thats a fact i have also witnessed 2 stabbings this year, facts.

Report from the latest Samui Express newspaper, a Dane John Terry Petterson shot and killed in what looked like an execution, happened in December. A Thai shot and killed near the pier in Nathon 12th Feb, body of a Thai found under a bridge in Mae Nam he appeared to have been killed else where and dumped there. 3 people killed in motorcycle accidents on the 8th Feb. It's time to take care, I know this happens around the world but Samui is a small island and so much happening, and this is only what's in the paper, who knows what's not reported.

not sure what a mounth, is the escape parties are 3 times a MONTH. jerusalem no chance way to violent for me been here 8 years intend staying a few more. never told OP not to come just passing on what i know from other articles posted on TV and from the press.

I think it depends on what you want and how much time you want to spend transporting your family from one venue to another. It is true you can find some peace and quiet near the beach in the more remote areas of the island, of course at night time you are in a remote are and security does become more of an issue. I for one have a family and when I travel i like to be close the things that interest me so that I do not need to spend too much time transporting the family.

Lake view Bungalows is near a party venue that offers music 2 night per month that runs until 6 a.m. having said this it is also a short drive from the best beaches, tessco lotus, hospitals, shops, banks, bars, some of the best internationl restaurants in thailand, travel agents.

Lakeview bungalows also offers a very safe and secure gated envioroment, the garden is huge, with a beautiful green zone allowing the children to play basketball, soccer, volley ball, or badmitten, and when they are done with field sport they can play in the child friendly pool.

IMHO being able to spend more quality time with my family at play is more important than price.

sorry but just had to copy this post, posted today on topic about loving Samui not by me

I hate to break this to you but my friend who lives in Lavkeview Bungalows had his house broke into. They stole his laptop, camera and phone. They removed the air conditioner to get in. He thinks it was some of the guys that work out at the Muy Thai training gym close by. This was about 6 weeks ago.

sorry but just had to copy this post, posted today on topic about loving Samui not by me

I hate to break this to you but my friend who lives in Lavkeview Bungalows had his house broke into. They stole his laptop, camera and phone. They removed the air conditioner to get in. He thinks it was some of the guys that work out at the Muy Thai training gym close by. This was about 6 weeks ago.

Since lakeview is being discussed i feel i should comment on this post as im the manager there. Now, the break-in 8 weeks ago, is the first break-in lakeview bungalows had in 8 years. Its very sad, but what happend the day right after that is that the whole cement wall covering our area is now covered with glas on top of it (in the cement) and very hard to climb over. We intalled new security lights to make sure all the dark spot dissapeared. The man who lost his laptop was compensated with free housing for another 3 mounths, because we felt sorry for him. Now, im not saying this never will happen again, but i still say (even thought we had a break-in) that this is a safe area. Of course you can never be hundred percent sure.

Hi there,