I'm not sure of the details and I know this is the best place to come. I live in the uk with my wife who is on a settlement visa. Some of my family are going on a holiday, possibly to Italy and I'd really like to go along with my wife. My dad said something about investigating a 'shengan visa' but didn't know how it applies to a settlement visa.

Does anyone know what the best way is? Also roughly how much it would cost and how long the visa would take?

Thanks,

I'm not sure of the details and I know this is the best place to come. I live in the uk with my wife who is on a settlement visa. Some of my family are going on a holiday, possibly to Italy and I'd really like to go along with my wife. My dad said something about investigating a 'shengan visa' but didn't know how it applies to a settlement visa.

Does anyone know what the best way is? Also roughly how much it would cost and how long the visa would take?

Thanks,

you would need to apply at the embassy of the country where you stay which should be a member of the schengen countries, google for this, expenses not more than 30 euro I would say, lenght not more than 6 months

J

I looked into it a bit more and it seems I will definately have to go down to the italian embassy. The only problem is that it is really difficult for me to get time off of work, just so I can plan it in, does anyone know how long a perios there is in between applying for the shengen visa and getting it? That way I can make sure that I have it in time.

Also, what kind of documents are needed? Do you have to show proof of stuff like, residence, work and such like to show you will in fact be coming back, or are they not that fussy about it?

I looked into it a bit more and it seems I will definately have to go down to the italian embassy. The only problem is that it is really difficult for me to get time off of work, just so I can plan it in, does anyone know how long a perios there is in between applying for the shengen visa and getting it? That way I can make sure that I have it in time.

Also, what kind of documents are needed? Do you have to show proof of stuff like, residence, work and such like to show you will in fact be coming back, or are they not that fussy about it?

It's all here on the Italian Embassy web site

and here Italian Consulate

Edited by Mahout Angrit

One more quick question. I live in the East of England, and on the website it says to go to the itailian embassy in Bedford; but it's far more convienient for me to go to the one in London as I have to go there anyway. Will it cause a problem if I go to the one in London? Will they be okay with it or will they tell me I've gone to the wrong place?

One more quick question. I live in the East of England, and on the website it says to go to the itailian embassy in Bedford; but it's far more convienient for me to go to the one in London as I have to go there anyway. Will it cause a problem if I go to the one in London? Will they be okay with it or will they tell me I've gone to the wrong place?

Hi,

I emailed them (the embassy) few days ago and I got an answer in 2 working days (UNBELIEVABLE!), they even reply with useful information...so I would ask them what to do.

Btw, as The Scouse said the visa is free of charge if you are traveling with your wife, otherwise she has to pay 60EUR.

g.

hello there my thai wife is also here on a settlement visa and we went to the french embassy LONDON as we live on the south coast to get her 'shengan visa' ,you have to make an appointment over the phone or there web site then you turn up on the day you will problly be there all day but you will get your shengen visa that day ok, and it will be FREE,you will need both off your passports, 2 photos off your wife,forms filled in downloaded from there web site,NO prof of trip ,BUT just say you want to go to paris ,france etc on DAY TRIPS, OH YES dont forget your marriage cert,which must be translated in to english and stamped by embassy, you must take both copies thai and english,

we did the above and my wife got six month visa stamp in her pass port so she can come and go as many times as she likes and not only to france she can go to any shengen visa country ok.

hope this helps

all the best pete and som

Edited by cuddleypete

One more question, being as the shengen visa is for all the European countries (that allow it obviously) does it neccessarily have to be the italian embassy I go to? Out of the embassies is there one which is more cooperative than the others? I have spent about 3 hours phoning the italian embassy on every number I could find on the internet (including both London and Bedford) but absolutely no one picks up, I have tried every day from about 9:30 am to 10am.

Although I will try emailig them now.

Thanks for all your help guys.

One more question, being as the shengen visa is for all the European countries (that allow it obviously) does it neccessarily have to be the italian embassy I go to?

If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of that particular country.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

OH YES dont forget your marriage cert,which must be translated in to english and stamped by embassy, you must take both copies thai and english,

My wife is applying for a schengen visa for France. We have our wedding cert translated and stamped by the Thai MFA.

Will we need to get it verified by the British embassy in Bangkok to be valid for the French consul?

thanks

OH YES dont forget your marriage cert,which must be translated in to english and stamped by embassy, you must take both copies thai and english,

My wife is applying for a schengen visa for France. We have our wedding cert translated and stamped by the Thai MFA.

Will we need to get it verified by the British embassy in Bangkok to be valid for the French consul?

thanks

AFAIK If you live in Thailand and your wife is applying at the French embassy in Bangkok unless you are French being married doesn't assist the application. However as you mention the British Embassy then I suspect you may be British and if she shows she is married to a UK citizen the visa will be free of charge. To prove she is married to a UK citizen I would think in Bangkok a Thai marriage certificate would suffice with a MFA certified English translation and a copy of your UK passport.(unless they need it translated to French)

thanks

AFAIK If you live in Thailand and your wife is applying at the French embassy in Bangkok unless you are French being married doesn't assist the application. However as you mention the British Embassy then I suspect you may be British and if she shows she is married to a UK citizen the visa will be free of charge. To prove she is married to a UK citizen I would think in Bangkok a Thai marriage certificate would suffice with a MFA certified English translation and a copy of your UK passport.(unless they need it translated to French)

Sorry - to clarify: I am applying from the UK - I am British. The French consul in London states that I need:

"Your original Marriage Certificate with official translation (certified by a consular officer) if not in French or English.

Be advised that the French Consulate General reserves the right to ask for your marriage to be authenticated by your spouse’s Embassy."

While that doesn't say that in all cases, embassy authentication is needed, cuddley's post (above) got me shook into thinking it might be necessary.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? I don't have embassy authentication and I imagine it'd be a bastard to get.