THB 400,000 Deposit Question

Regarding the Non-O extension of stay requirements based on marriage: Obviously my Thai wife is a fundamental requirement, as opposed to an O-A extension or Non-O extension based on retirement. That said, does the bank account containing the 400,000 have to be in my name alone? Seems an odd detail, but logic does not always prevail so I am asking.  

2 hours ago, billsmart said:

You can open up an account in your name only, but give your wife signing authority on the account. That's what I did.

Which is totally counter-intuitive as they appear to verify that we don't share any money with our wives... But T.I.T

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Which is totally counter-intuitive as they appear to verify that we don't share any money with our wives... But T.I.T

Lots of things in Thailand are counter-intuitive, at least to us Westerners. 

My main account is a savings account in my name only, but in the passbook on the very last page, it has a transparent strip that has my wife's signature so she can access the account also. I did that, to be truthful, to allow her easy access in case I am out of the country, incapacitated, or dead. ????

10 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Lots of things in Thailand are counter-intuitive, at least to us Westerners. 

My main account is a savings account in my name only, but in the passbook on the very last page, it has a transparent strip that has my wife's signature so she can access the account also. I did that, to be truthful, to allow her easy access in case I am out of the country, incapacitated, or dead. ????

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant is that ensuring we have 400 KTHB in the bank isn't a proof that we take care of our families. They should look at respective incomes, common assets acquisition, schooling,  etc..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant is that ensuring we have 400 KTHB in the bank isn't a proof that we take care of our families. They should look at respective incomes, common assets acquisition, schooling,  etc..

The 400 K has nothing to do with ‘taking care of our families’. It is the minimum amount of money required to support yourself during your 1 year stay.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Can you point to the source of your information for ‘family’ based extensions?

I may not say it exactly say they are not allowed but it is certainly implied in this from clause 2.18 of the police order.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account
in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

Much different than when it was allowed before in police order 606/2006 that was rescinded in 2008.

"the latest 3 month records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money nol less than 400,000 Baht."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I may not say it exactly say they are not allowed but it is certainly implied in this from clause 2.18 of the police order.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account
in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

Much different than when it was allowed before in police order 606/2006 that was rescinded in 2008.

"the latest 3 month records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money nol less than 400,000 Baht."

As I said. There is nothing published anywhere (unlike for retirement) that implies it must be in a sole account. It says “in A bank account”.

As it’s not specified offices/division can decide on their own policy/rule. My local office will allow a joint account.

10 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Logically it must be in your name. I've never heard it could be otherwise. If it can be in wife why not a business? You get it. No.

Documentation gives no indication and every assumption it must be in your name only.

Logically it makes sense to allow a joint account with a spouse. Joint accounts have been allowed — on occasion — even for retirement extensions.

Assuming something is always a bad idea. As I posted above you should ask at your local office whether or not they will accept a joint account as it’s not set in stone.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Logically it makes sense to allow a joint account with a spouse. Joint accounts have been allowed — on occasion — even for retirement extensions.

Assuming something is always a bad idea. As I posted above you should ask at your local office whether or not they will accept a joint account as it’s not set in stone.

I beg to differ, not in Thailand. With so many of us unable to come up with the scratch Immigration is forced to reduce this to lowest common denominator.

They don't accept joint accounts. There is no need to ask. Yes, quite 'set in stone'. Thai quasi legal information like requirements never tell the applicant what is disallowed. They are just not that analytical nor sufficient in English. It is clearly outlined what is allowed.

400k income - your income

400k banked - your account

Edited by Number 6

27 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I beg to differ, not in Thailand. With so many of us unable to come up with the scratch Immigration is forced to reduce this to lowest common denominator.

They don't accept joint accounts. There is no need to ask. Yes, quite 'set in stone'. Thai quasi legal information like requirements never tell the applicant what is disallowed. They are just not that analytical nor sufficient in English. It is clearly outlined what is allowed.

400k income - your income

400k banked - your account

100% correct.

Has to be in the applicants name only.

To say otherwise is just misleading people.