Anyone Know Where The Australian Embassy Is?

Wizzard of Oz

I went to BKK bank at Kad Sean Keew today and with a tourist visa they said something about getting an "Address Referee" (whatever that actually means - I expect a letter stating my address is correct) from my embassy or consulate.

A few months ago (when I first arrived in CM), I asked a song taew driver to take me to the following address which was listed as the australian embassy on a few sites I found from a google search. He had no luck finding the address since there was no soi written there ...

165, Sirimungklajarn Road Tambon Suthep Chiang Mai 50200

Any help would be great.

Cheers

I went to BKK bank at Kad Sean Keew today and with a tourist visa they said something about getting an "Address Referee" (whatever that actually means - I expect a letter stating my address is correct) from my embassy or consulate.

A few months ago (when I first arrived in CM), I asked a song taew driver to take me to the following address which was listed as the australian embassy on a few sites I found from a google search. He had no luck finding the address since there was no soi written there ...

Any help would be great.

Cheers

I don't think there is an Australian Consulate in Chiangmai anymore, the address you mentioned closed down a couple of years ago. Looks like Bangkok if you really need the Embassy but the banks are usually willing to accept a reference from somebody else. Try a few different banks/branches as they make up the rules as they go along.

Embassies only exist in capital cities. In other cities you need a consulate.

However the Australian Consulate closed down just before I arrived in CM May 04 (I'm Oz too).

Nevetheless I walked into the Bangkok Bank on Thapae Road with my passport and a tourist visa, spoke to the very helpful ladies immediately on the left as you go in, and had an account open within half an hour.

Yes, easier to go to Immigration Service near airport. Some documents needed... Office on your left hand side (like a spare little house...) when you enter the Imm Service. Easy to get with the documents (20 minutes), free, and very kind people!..

Good luck

Get a certificate of residence from Thai Immigration on Airport Road.

Sorry, I didn't know one could get a certificate of residence from Thai Immigration on a tourist visa? If really so, what is reguired? Like paperwork? :o

Any help would be great.

Cheers

There is still an honorary Australian Consul in Chiang Mai.

236 Chiang Mai - Doi Saket Road,

Sansai,

Chiang Mai, 50210

Tel : 05349-2480 & 05349-2426

E-mail: [email protected]

Immigration in Chiang Mai will not issue a Residence Certificate if you only have a tourist visa. Now you also need a copy of your rental agreement signed by the owner, a copy of your passport including visa page and 2 photos.