Audio Equipment Problems In Thailand

Upcountry

Running into trouble with audio equipment.

I have a 15-year-old preamp/phono stage unit that I bought in 2001. It was silent then when the volume was turned up all the way for all inputs, including phono. After I moved here, it was that way at first, but three years later, it was generating a white noise, especially in the phono stage.

The inside looks like new (no vents to bring in dust). I called the manufacturer who posited that maybe rust./corrosion due to humidity could have developed. I didn’t see anything like that when I looked at the board.

So, I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this with quality (mid/hi fi) audio equipment.

I’m also having trouble with an old Thorens turn table, but the Thorens web site points me to a company in BKK that doesn’t seem to claim distributorship (let alone support) of Thorens products. I’d appreciate any info about contacting Thorens directly, or a contact in Bangkok that I can speak to about Thorens and SME tone arms, etc. Hopefully in English.

The problem is with grounding, and some other mechanical stuff. I know there are some shops at Future Town (tower?) that have Thorens, stuff, but I don’t know how to contact them.

Thanks for your help.

UC

According to the audiotools website http://audiotools.com/distas.html#kssons

K. S. Sonsgroup Co. Ltd. distributes SME.

213/6-8 Rachada Phisek Road, Din Daeng, Bangkok 10320.

Phone : +66 2 276 3030. Fax : +66 2 711 0319

Email : voratep at kssons.com

You might try an email just to see if anyone answers.

Thorens is distributed by KS World which is in Amarin Plaza (Chitlom BTS) 3rd floor on the Ploenchit side of the building.

Phone: +66 2 256-9919 and 2 256-9967

Fax: +66 2 256-9708

E-mail: [email protected]

Your phono stage may simply be suffering from a bad capacitor or resistor which after 15 years is not unexpected.

If you have specific questions the audioasylum.com board may be helpful.

-redwood

I knew one guy who had a room dedicated for audio purpose only. That room was 24/7 airconditioned because of the exact problem....humidity will corrode contacts, be it from the plugs at the back of the amp or the selector or volume poti...

Also the speakers do suffer. The foam around the bass speakers just disappered on my ATLs, a friend of mine had the same problem on his Infinities. We both fixed it the same way...brought the speakers to the local shop and they fitted in whatever fitted and..well...the speakers sound fine!

Thanks for the tips and links, folks.

I do use the equipment mentioned earlier in an air-conditioned room, but it is not always air conditioned (to save energy).

As far as the corrosion problem, is that fixable with out replacing parts? :o

Just hopeful.

UC

...Also the speakers do suffer. The foam around the bass speakers just disappered on my ATLs, a friend of mine had the same problem on his Infinities. We both fixed it the same way...brought the speakers to the local shop and they fitted in whatever fitted and..well...the speakers sound fine!

My friend had a slightly more bizarre destruction. You know the little micro-sized ants that go insane when they find 3 drops of coke on the counter and send the whole colony? They ate his tweeter cones...