Non-Imm B in Vientiane - Looking for advice

Hello. After some advice from some knowledgable fellows ands lasses.

I am married to a Thai, living in Bangkok, from UK and hold a Non-Imm O Visa. I am soon to be offered a job by a BOI-promoted company in Bangkok. This company has informed me that I need to leave the country and obtain a Non-Imm B to get the work permit. Giving all the virus stuff at the moment, I was thinking of going to the Thai embassy in Vientiane.

But I have some questions, the answers to which I am confused about....

1. Do I need to 'cancel' my Non-Imm O at Chaeng Wattana before I go to get the Non-Imm B?

2. The BOI will help with documents needed for the Non-Imm B, but for me personnally what are the document requirements for this visa if I look to get the visa from the Thai embassy in Vientiane?

3. After obtaining the Non-Imm B visa from Vientiane, is it a case of attending the "One-Stop Shop" in Chaeng Wattana? Through this "One-stop shop", how long is the process of getting Work Permit approval from Chaeng Wattana?

4. Lastly, with kids now off school, was thinking of a family trip to Vientiane. Does anyone know if it is easy for Thai nationals and me (UK) to drive up to Nong Khai and then get some sort of transport up to Vientiane? Is the process easy for all at the Thai-Laos border at Nong Khai? What documents do my wife and kids require?

Any suggestions or advice from experience ppl would be wonderful. Thank you so much!

J

If your company has enough Thai employees, you can get a 1-year work-permit through the regular labor office, instead of the BOI / One-stop-shop.   As immigration is not involved at the regular labor-office, the immigration-corruption doesn't block the process.  The Labor dept has no problem with those here on marriage-based extensions / visa-stays.

As well, one BOI 'officer' told our HR person that they would issue a WP if the applicant has a 1-year extension of stay Non-O based on marriage from immigration.  But, they would NOT provide one if the applicant has a 1-year-Multiple-Entry Non-O "Visa" (issued by a Thai-consulate abroad / Foreign-Affairs) based on marriage.   If you have a "1-year extension of stay Non-O based on marriage," you might ask your HR person to double-check with BOI whether this would be accepted. 

I am not sure whether you have a Visa or Extension of Stay, so not clear on the other questions.  But I was under the impression (last check) the "One Stop Shop" is not in Chaeng Wattana.  In any case, if going the BOI route, the BOI person coordinates both the Work-Permit and the Extension of Stay. 

I believe a border-pass is available for Thais to go to Laos, but my wife obtained a passport, to avoid any issues.

Edited by JackThompson

1. Immigration does not cancel visas. Sa me for extension of stay unless there is valid reason to do it.

Do you have valid multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate?

If you actually have an extension of stay issued by immigration it will end on the day you leave the country. But if you have a valid re-entry permit it may cause problems when you apply for a visa.

2. To apply for the visa you will need a letter from the BOI requesting the visa instead of a WP3 or a work permit application approval letter. See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B business.pdf

3. The work permit application will not be done at Chaeng Wattana. Everything will be done at the one stop center at  the Chamchuri Square Building for BOI companies.

4. No problem to cross the bridge at Nong Khai to Vientiane. You will need to get a Lao visa on arrival for a fee of $35 or 1500 baht.

If your wife and children have Thai passports they will get a 30 day visa exempt entry. If they do not have passports they will need to get a border pass before leaving the country at a office that does them near the entrance to the bridge for a fee of about 50 baht. You wife will need her ID card. If the children do not have ID cards their birth certificate and copies of their house book registry will be needed.

Thank you. Great responses. Only thing I am now confused about is why I was told I need to cancel my Non-Imm O visa, although I do have a one-year multi-entry permit in my passport.

14 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Thank you. Great responses. Only thing I am now confused about is why I was told I need to cancel my Non-Imm O visa, although I do have a one-year multi-entry permit in my passport.

As UbonJoe wrote >

Immigration does not cancel visas. Same for extension of stay unless there is valid reason to do it.

Do you have valid multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate?

If you actually have an extension of stay issued by immigration it will end on the day you leave the country. But if you have a valid re-entry permit it may cause problems when you apply for a visa.

Immigration cannot provide you a new Visa when the permission to stay based on your present Visa is still valid.

Normally when you exit Thailand your permission to stay will be voided, which will allow you on re-entry to apply for a new Visa (or do it abroad).

But in your case, your present permission to stay based on your Non Imm O Visa is kept alive by the Re-Entry Permit, so you will need to wait till your present permission to stay almost expires to exit Thailand and then either in-country or abroad apply for a new Visa.

>> Note: Maybe in your case you can convince Immigration to cancel your present permission to stay or the MultipleEntry Re-entry Permit, as you have a valid reason for wanting this.

Edited by Peter Denis