Boxing Title Fight Disrupted By Explosions

Pongsaklek victory disrupted by explosion

Fans injured after balloons catch fire

Saraburi - Thailand's Pongsaklek Wongjongkam successfully defended his World Boxing Council flyweight title for the 17th consecutive time :o yesterday in a fight which was disrupted when dozens of yellow helium-filled balloons exploded in flames near the ringside. :D Twenty spectators were injured in the accident including veteran Thai TV 7 announcer Vichien Nilikanon. :D He suffered a broken rib as people dashed to take evasive action at Tabkwang stadium. :D Many initially thought it was a bomb which had exploded but it turned out it was a burning cigarette which ignited the gas-filled balloons which were close to the ringside. :D The explosion startled Pongsaklek and challenger Tomonobu Shimizu of Japan who were only one minute into the first round when the incident occurred. Chief promoter Virat Vachiraratanawong, said that he was unhappy with the unfortunate accident concerning the explosion and would pay 5,000 baht compensation to each injured spectator.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/07Apr2007_sports01.php

=======================================

An "explosive" left lands flush:

explosivefight.jpg

Thai champion Pongsaklek Wongjongkam, right, throws a left to the face of his Japanese challenger Tomonobu Shimizu during their WBC flyweight title fight in Saraburi province, central Thailand. Pongsaklek won with a TKO in the eighth round.

Associated Press

yellow helium-filled balloons
helium is inert and does not explode or catch fire.
Many initially thought it was a bomb which had exploded but it turned out it was a burning cigarette which ignited the gas-filled balloons which were close to the ringside.

however , many balloons that are on sale in this country are filled with hydrogen , which is very inlammable and explosive , and is also much cheaper than helium , hence its popularity with the thoughtless and stupid vendors who sell the balloons.

there was an accident last year in khao san road , three or four backpackers were seriously burned when their "helium" balloons were ignited in their room by a cigarette or lamp bulb.

Edited by taxexile

Here's one more of the World Champion just destroying his Japanese challenger (it's no wonder he's defended his belt 17 frickin' times) :

pong1.jpg

Kom Chad Luek newspaper

and now here's a couple regarding the explosions outside of the ring from Matichon newspaper:

p0101070450p1.jpg

and one of the injured spectators at the hospital:

p0101070450p2.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Here's one more of the World Champion just destroying his Japanese challenger (it's no wonder he's defended his belt 17 frickin' times) :

Spectacular picture of the exploding ballons, I went to see Pongsaklek defend his title in Sankaburi (Chainat) over a year ago. Even had time for a quick chat with him after the fight with the Mexican lad. The referee was I think an Austraian chap with ginger hair, same chap who looked after the womans match in prison last week. Sorry, but if that's not a wig I'll eat my hat!!!

pong1.jpg

Kom Chad Luek newspaper

and now here's a couple regarding the explosions outside of the ring from Matichon newspaper:

p0101070450p1.jpg

and one of the injured spectators at the hospital:

p0101070450p2.jpg

Spectacular picture of the exploding balloons, I went to see Pongsaklek defend his title in Sankaburi (Chainat) over a year ago. Even had time for a quick chat with him after the fight with the Mexican lad. The referee was I think an Australian chap with ginger hair, same chap who looked after the womans match in prison last week. Sorry, but if that's not a wig I'll eat my hat!!!

Looks like the poor Mexican definitely fared even worse at the explosive hands of Pongsalek:

pongsaklek.jpg

Thai champion Pongsaklek Wongjongkam lands a punch to the face of Mexican challenger Everado Morales during their WBC flyweight title in Thailand June 30, 2006. Pongsaklek retained his title with a TKO in the third round.

REUTERS

(I isolated your comments from your post above to ease readability)

:o

Edited by sriracha john

Spectacular picture of the exploding balloons, I went to see Pongsaklek defend his title in Sankaburi (Chainat) over a year ago. Even had time for a quick chat with him after the fight with the Mexican lad. The referee was I think an Australian chap with ginger hair, same chap who looked after the womans match in prison last week. Sorry, but if that's not a wig I'll eat my hat!!!

Looks like the poor Mexican definitely fared even worse at the explosive hands of Pongsalek:

pongsaklek.jpg

Thai champion Pongsaklek Wongjongkam lands a punch to the face of Mexican challenger Everado Morales during their WBC flyweight title in Thailand June 30, 2006. Pongsaklek retained his title with a TKO in the third round.

REUTERS

(I isolated your comments from your post above to ease readability)

:o

This must have been another Mexican, this fight took place in September in Sankhaburi, Chainat..Still, the out was still the same John, Pongsaklek won