Sticky Rice Vs Spuds

thoongfoned

hello everyone, im new to this forum, so hello! ive been here for a few years now and have been eating sticky rice from day one! what does everyone think of sticky rice vs the good old spud? or other side dishes?

You cant beat the good old spud! mashed, boiled, roasted, jacket, sautee'd, sliced, diced and chips, the spud rules preferably with a nice piece of a dead animal lying next to it! :o

Come to think of it I think I'l go get some good old traditional fish and chips now!

Pla lae khao neeo.

Thank you.

It's fairly easy to understand. As farangs we are brought up on the typical diet (English would be potatoes but Italians would be pasta) we get so used to the various forms of the staples that each variation becomes an entirely different food .... same for the Thais.... with one major difference, all you can do is boil it, you can't chip it, you can't roast it, you can mash it but the results are disappointing.

A few weeks ago I was in Bangkok and I spotted an Indian restaurant, in I went, expecting some real English/Indian food .... I don't think that I have ever been so wrong in my life before.... it was truly awful.

Sorry, moved a bit off topic there, where was I? ...... rice is dull and bland, sticky or not makes no difference (or at least the rice that is available locally)

Give me a jacket potato smothered in butter with a dollop of tuna fish on top any day ..... thankfully, I can still get that...... don't tell the wife I said that ..... rice is tops :o

There are few sweet dishes that can be made with potato, mango with sweet sticky rice is yummy.

Mashed rice is best enjoyed as rice flour the basis of many soups, similar to the use of potato in potato and leek soup for example.

Roasted rice, simply as a lump of sticky rice brushed with egg, or dried uncooked rice cooked over a high heat for 10 minutes or so then soak and steam, gives a nutty flavour.

Then there all the ways of turning rice into noodles and wraps for dumplings and steamed buns.

Potatoes: boiled or fried?

Oh my lord ,Mashed pots, sausages ,and onion gravy.......Beef steak , chips,mmmmm delicious !! Rice also, sticky rice, som tum, Laab gai ,steamed rice...........chicken vindaloo , basmati..............its all lovely !!!

Im starving :o , off down the chippie :D

Oh my lord ,Mashed pots, sausages ,and onion gravy.......Beef steak , chips,mmmmm delicious !! Rice also, sticky rice, som tum, Laab gai ,steamed rice...........chicken vindaloo , basmati..............its all lovely !!!

Im starving :o , off down the chippie :D

I believe that prove's the potatoe wins :D

Sticky rice is like creme brulee , a kitchen screw-up that got turned into a recipe.

Rice is bland , but I have to disagree with Thaddeus - you can fry it.

The humble potato does offer far more culinary possibilities than any other starch

staple that I know of.

I am puzzled why this thread has no mention of noodles.

:o:D

Sticky rice is for deserts and for pork or chicken finger food. Jasmine rice is for meals. My wife is a GREAT cook and potatoes are a small part of our menu. She's got me weaned off potatoes except for occasionally putting them in soup. On the rare occasion that she is out and about and I have to feed myself, I do enjoy baked potatoes smothered in butter with lots of salt. It's probably better for me that she doesn't use potatoes. :o

Then there all the ways of turning rice into noodles and wraps for dumplings.

Was that for dumplings or, or dumplings ..... please tell me, if you know the details I need, weights, measures and ingredients, suppliers.

I can work out the cooking times by myself.

To answer the OP ......... spuds.

Sorry but, all those have assumed the name of dumplings as that would be the closest thing that they look like in the English language ...... they, however, are nothing like real dumplings, merely a poor imitation. :o

hello everyone, im new to this forum, so hello! ive been here for a few years now and have been eating sticky rice from day one! what does everyone think of sticky rice vs the good old spud? or other side dishes?

Sticky rice seems to be a really good way of cleaning the fingers. Gets stuff out of all of the pores.

I took some spuds into the village this trip and made some bubble and squeak.

Not quite the same as the English way.

Boiled, then fried with some garlic, onion, bacon,coriander and dill.

I didnt take enough of the things because everybody in the wifes family wanted to try some. It was big news.

They really loved it. Even the old father in law ate every last morsel ( with a fork)

I tried them on a few other foods as well. Mainly good feed back but alas, not the Vegemite.

The village people have never seen let alone tried tasty morsels like spuds.