Huawei 5G CPE Pro Router and AIS 5G (unlimited?)

DUS

Hi,

Is anyone using the Huawei 5G CPE Pro router on the AIS 5G network?

As my ISP choices here in the condominium are limited to 2 providers and the speed limited to below 100Mbps due to the old cables I started looking into alternatives and came across this offer on the AIS website: https://store.ais.co.th/en/accessories/other/huawei-5g-cpe-pro.html

Whilst in combination with the data package it is not a particularly cheap option, I still found it quite interesting. I would be interested to hear from people who are using it, how their experiences have been with it. What are the speeds you are getting in your location on the 5G network? How reliable is the connection? I´d also be particularly interested in the international connections and the speed you get on those connections. How is the router´s performance in general? Any particular pros and cons?

As for the data package, there is one more question. AIS says: "Package 5G Device 1099 Baht, 4G/3G UL". I am a bit confused by their wording of 4G/3G unlimited. Isn´t the 5G data unlimited as well? If not, what´s the cap? If 5G isn´t truly unlimited then the device and the data package isn´t for me since I´m streaming a huge amount of FHD/4K content.  

I don´t expect many forum members to use this 5G hardware and data package but maybe I am lucky and a few of you do. If so, I´d love to hear from you. Thank you!

DUS

The modem supports 5G, AIS does not. Not yet. So you will get 3G or 4G depending on your location.

A cheaper option now would be to buy a 4G Wifi modem on Lazada for around 1500 baht, and order a simcard with unlimited data 10 mbps for a year from AIS or True for 1500-2000 Baht a year.

10 mbps does not sound fast, but it's fast enough for most things including watching Netflix in HD.

Their offer with 100 GB a month is very limited. The other option with 300 mbps is theoretical, you will never get this speed.

Edited by dimitriv

Thank you for your reply, dimitriv. 

As for the 5G coverage, AIS does provide 5G access across parts of BKK, including Chatuchak, Ari, Victory Monument, Phaya Thai, Siam, Sam Yan, Silom, Sathon, Chidlom, Nana, Asok and Sukhumvit and others. https://www.ais.co.th/5g/en/

3 hours ago, DUS said:

Thank you for your reply, dimitriv. 

As for the 5G coverage, AIS does provide 5G access across parts of BKK, including Chatuchak, Ari, Victory Monument, Phaya Thai, Siam, Sam Yan, Silom, Sathon, Chidlom, Nana, Asok and Sukhumvit and others. https://www.ais.co.th/5g/en/

wow, didn't know that. Thailand must be one of the first...

But you must be careful, I see that they mention specific roads, so coverage will be very limited. 

Edited by dimitriv

use VDSL in your condo, why bother with 5G?

5G modem is pretty expensive and even if it works very fast in the first few months, there is no guarantee that it will stay that way once 5G become a mainstream network for > 50% of the population.