Need Insurance (life + Med) For The Missus

robenroute

Hi there,

I'm currently staying overseas whilst the missus is living and working in Thailand. We want to get an insurance policy for her that covers medical costs, but also life (she's got a young boy (7) that she has to take care of). I've perused the forum but haven't come across proper comparisons. I realize it's awfully difficult to compare insurance policies, but you know, a rough comparison would be helpful.

Some people say it's better to get a life (I know, it's always good to get a life :o....) with companies like AIA, Prudential, etc. and the med with some other, non-life company. Yet others say to get the two combined via one and the same company.

All we want is that if the missus, the Great Guy in the sky forbid, would have an accident, she can choose the hospital and the policy covers all med costs (not talking OP care here), without any hassles, of course. As far as the life coverage goes, well, she wants her son to be able to get a proper education with the money the policy would pay. Whether the lump sum would be 1,000,000 Baht or 1,500,000 is not that important (but the more the better, of course).

Any ideas? Thanks very much.

I'm currently staying overseas whilst the missus is living and working in Thailand. We want to get an insurance policy for her that covers medical costs, but also life (she's got a young boy (7) that she has to take care of). I've perused the forum but haven't come across proper comparisons. I realize it's awfully difficult to compare insurance policies, but you know, a rough comparison would be helpful.

I am also living and working overseas. When my health insurance papers came in, there was a section saying "who else is covered by this policy".

I simply stated wife and our baby in Thailand and that was it.

They are both covered by the same insurance.

I am also living and working overseas. When my health insurance papers came in, there was a section saying "who else is covered by this policy".

I simply stated wife and our baby in Thailand and that was it.

They are both covered by the same insurance.

....another reason (albeit a rather practical one) to get married. Well, as it looks now, we will be on separate continents for a while and the fact that med care in Thailand is loads cheaper than it is in Europe, insurance policies are cheaper as well. So, I am looking at local policies for the time being (probably for at least another 2 years). Thanks for the response, though.

Anyone else with experience (of different companies/policies)?

Thanks again.

....another reason (albeit a rather practical one) to get married. Well, as it looks now, we will be on separate continents for a while and the fact that med care in Thailand is loads cheaper than it is in Europe, insurance policies are cheaper as well. So, I am looking at local policies for the time being (probably for at least another 2 years). Thanks for the response, though.

Thanks again.

We are not married. And what I said just worked. And works.

Thanks again.

We are not married. And what I said just worked. And works.

I see, that's rather interesting. I'll definitely look into it. At the same time, I would also like to invite others having "Thai" policies jot down their experience.

Thanks a lot.

I tot for thais they can apply for the 30baht medical card which covers almost everything in gorverment hospital...but i heard it onli subsidies the cost of medical expenditure but still a good deal consider its onli 30baht. Hope this helps...

I tot for thais they can apply for the 30baht medical card which covers almost everything in gorverment hospital...but i heard it onli subsidies the cost of medical expenditure but still a good deal consider its onli 30baht. Hope this helps...

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I know about the 30-Baht scheme, but that's not what I'm looking for (which is, proper med care/coverage). Also, if the missus falls ill or ends up in hospital, it would be nice if the insurance company would pay for missed income (I know AIA covers this).

Thanks again.

robenroute

tell your mrs to get in touch with thai prakan chewit.

i have looked at various, bangkok bank, aia etc, and the above seemed to offer the best.

they also do a life insurance policy, with a payout of between 100k baht up to 1 million baht.

price is dependant on age and amount of cover required.

as an example of cost, i am 47, have a payout of 100k baht (no need for any more as the wife is covered by pensions) cost is about 20k baht per year

robenroute

tell your mrs to get in touch with thai prakan chewit.

i have looked at various, bangkok bank, aia etc, and the above seemed to offer the best.

they also do a life insurance policy, with a payout of between 100k baht up to 1 million baht.

price is dependant on age and amount of cover required.

as an example of cost, i am 47, have a payout of 100k baht (no need for any more as the wife is covered by pensions) cost is about 20k baht per year

Cheers for that. When you say the above seemed to offer the best, I take it you meant Bangkok Bank and AIA. I'll have her look into/contact both and we can take it from there.

Thanks.

I think he's recommending Thai Life Insurance (Thai Prakan Chewit in his post). I've had good experiences with them too.

Tarragona

correct, i was recommending the company called thai prakan chewit.

if you talk to thais, who recommended this company to me, they will tell you the other companies "do not take care of you".

i am glad to hear you also have had good experiences with this company, they took care of me as well.

i am not a salesman, only giving my personal view based on experience.

To the OP:

1. the targeted people you want to insure would not comprehend what you are doing

2. any affordable insurance would hwooosh above their ears, they would not know what you are doing

3. affordable insurance would require them to pay first 2000B, meaning, only open heart surgeries and other unprobable things could be covered. To cure the most of the ailments would be less than 1000B. They have to pay for it. And it is not refundable, lest they would care to have you around for that anyway.

4. as they have to pay, what is your role there?

5. Get them a supplement Visa or some other credit card to have if they get in a trouble

6. they will have to pay, even if your insurance is 100% cover. How they do that?

Robenroute

You said your wife is working. Is she in the Social Security system?

If she is, she can use that to get all of her medical taken care of. In patient and out patient.

The downside is she will only be able to use a designated hospital. I was given a choice of a number of hospitals to choose from. They include government hospitals and also some private hospitals.

Soc Sec also offers workers comp and disability. The cost is 5% of her monthly salary, up to a maximum of 750 baht per month. The employer matches the amount she would have to pay.