Where To Get Info?

Hi folks

I've not kept up to date with whats been going on in the world of visas. By chance I heard something about a new test. I'm not sure where to look for what me and the missis need to do.

Is there a basic website that gives you clear info? Hope so :o

I went on the uk gov website but it's about as clear as mud.

From reading a few topics on the forum, I've gathered we needed the Life in the UK book, so we've got that. Or am I correct in thinking that she can take a ESOL course with citizenship instead?

If it wasn't for this website, how would we have known about the new requirements? Are they not supposed to write to us explaining whats going on?

It is VERY confusing IMO.

I noticed it is over £800 now for ILR, what have they said the reason for that is?

I haven't got a clue where to start with this test and ILR palaver.

Thanks

Edited by Rj 81

Hi Rj,

There have been a lot of debate regarding the new rules and fee, have a search you will find a wealth of diverse views.

You will need the new edition of the book and you are correct ESOL with Citizenship will be enough although you will find it hard getting a place.

Reasons for the new fees, a closed shop is my guess.

I will search myself to see if I can find anything further

Click Here

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Rj heres another link, tells you all about test centres and sample questions.

Do not be put off by the questions, most mortals who have lived here all their lives can't answer them all correctly, but if you read the correct chapters that are relevant to you and do the hard yards, study, test your partner over a period of time, you will get thru it O.K. Trust me.

You havn't got any European ancestry have you, if you have you might possibly be able circumvent a lot of the fees by flying a flag of convenience.

LITUK Test

Moss

HI THERE RJ 81 AS MOSSFINN SAID CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR PARENTS OR GRAND PARENTS ARE FROM European COUNTRY THEN IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO GET A PASSPORT FROM THAT COUNTRY ,THEN YOUR WIFE WILL NOT HAVE TO DO THE TEST AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FEE'S.

ANY WAY MATE ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND THE WIFE

PETE & SOM

WHile you are on the subject guys, maybe you can put me straight.

My thai wife is with me in the UK on a 2 year spouse visa,but if i get an irsh passport or dual nationality (i have one irish parent) she can stay with me ,apply for ILR in 5 years , not take THE TEST and not pay any fees (i have just read Scouses pinned notes).

If i do this can hear daughter come to the UK also !

is ther a downsde to this i have not thought of ? it sems to good to be true !!

thanks in advance !! :o

Hi Ged,

Spot on! And providing your step-daughter is under 21, she can apply to join her mother free of charge, too.

The only downside is that your wife has to wait 5 years for ILR and 6 to apply for naturalisation. Additionally, if she wants to naturalise, she will then have to sit either an ESOL with Citizenship class or the Life in the UK test.

Scouse.

Edited by the scouser
Incorrect information rectified.

Ged, as Scouse states, the only downside is the longer wait for Naturalization, if you consider this a downside!

By the end of the sixth year, of course the test or ESOL will, I suspect, be a walk in the park.

On another upside I have found the Irish Embassy extremely easy to communicate with and get answers on a much more informal manner.

Good Luck

Moss

Hi Ged,

Spot on! And providing your step-daughter is under 18, she can apply to join her mother free of charge, too.

The only downside is that your wife has to wait 5 years for ILR and 6 to apply for naturalisation. Additionally, if she wants to naturalise, she will then have to sit either an ESOL with Citizenship class or the Life in the UK test.

Scouse.

Thanks again Scouse !!

My wife and i are considering this option, do you think the fact that she already has a 2 year settlement visa already in her passport could cause a problem ?

sorry for Hi jacking the thread !

I'd just write a covering letter along with the application to the Home Office which states that had you been aware of this provision you would have obtained evidence of your Irish nationality at the time of your wife's original application, and have applied for a family permit. The Home Office is duty bound to consider applications for an EEA residence card within 6 months of receipt, and they are taking, as near as dam n it, 6 months.

Scouse.

Ged, as Scouse states, the only downside is the longer wait for Naturalization, if you consider this a downside!

By the end of the sixth year, of course the test or ESOL will, I suspect, be a walk in the park.

On another upside I have found the Irish Embassy extremely easy to communicate with and get answers on a much more informal manner.

Good Luck

Moss

Thanks Moss, no i don't consider waiting 5 years a downer, we may be living in Thailand before then anyway!

now i'm off to the irish embassy website to start my research! :o:D