Direct Flights To Manila

taxin

Cebu pacific have low fares starting at 2400 bht ow before tax.

At less than half the cost of its rivals, has anyone actually flown www.cebupacificair.com ? Flies at night (early hours) and dodgy reputation for on-time departure. Only freebie: iced tea!

• 1 month later...

didnt want to start a new thread....but am looking for ideas/tips/suggestions:

WHAT TO DO IN MANILA :o

Please list your ideas here....for evening places to visit/things to do.....

Not my first trip there, but have to be there for 1 week this time.......wasnt too impressed on other occasions.....so tips and ideas are much welcome..... (ok rephrase.....I think I was kinda bored....cos no friends there......)

last time I discovered Max Brenner ...which was lovely.....

have been to Intromuros (sp?) and found a place with nice chocolate cake.......

been to some restaurants in the Green Belt......

other ideas? fun places and things to do?

over to you pleaseeeeeeeeee

Not really any recommendations that I can think of for interesting activities in Manila. I was pretty bored myself when I was there. I'm not at all into the nightlife scene, but that might be an option for someone who is. Overall I found the food selection to be quite horrible, but did manage to find a few good seafood places where the food was very fresh. Don't ask me though where they were located because I probably couldn't relocate them if my life depended on it, but just searching the internet might yield some results if you enjoy seafood.

One thing I did do a bit of there that I couldn't do in Thailand is shopping for certain items. Filipinos I think have a much better fashion sense that do Thais and so there is a much wider selection of clothing items for sale in the large number of malls around Manila than what I've seen in Bangkok. For example, I think Thais have some of the poorest tastes in shoes of just about any country in the world. I searched all over Bangkok looking for a good pair of shoes but turned up empty handed, whereas in Manila I found a half-way decent shoe store right away. Certainly not any bargains price-wise, but at least the goods were available. I liked the Glorietta mall in Makati, which contained the Rustan's department store.

Are you stuck in Manila the whole time or do you have any days free where you could travel outside of Manila? I enjoyed traveling around some of the islands when I was there. Had some absolutely fabulous pineapple that was freshly picked and served in Leyte at a restaurant along the beach. Absolutely no comparison to any pineapple I've had anywhere else in the world. The resort wasn't much, but the fruit was fantastic. The mangoes are also great in the Philippines. Cebu, Boracay, Bohol, and a few other islands have some nice resorts, but I found the prices to be significantly more expensive than at comparable resorts in Thailand.

North of Manila, there's a mountain city called Baguio that was alright - at least the temperature was cool and very pleasant. Also some good surfing I heard at some of the beaches in Northern Luzon. There's also lots of good diving I'm told at a number of places around the Philippine Islands, including some not all that far south of Manila which might be possible to do on a day-trip or certainly on a two-day trip I'd think.

Soju...

thanks for sharing all the info...but unfortunately I have to be in the city during the days ...meetings...including sunday :o

so Im only left with the evenings on some days........

Im interested to hear if there are some local/handicraft type shopping mall? kinda like the suanlum night bazaar in bangkok? the Malls dont do much for me....Ive been to Glorietta

also good places to eat/drink/dessert are always welcome suggestions :D

thanks again all :D

Soju...

thanks for sharing all the info...but unfortunately I have to be in the city during the days ...meetings...including sunday :o

so Im only left with the evenings on some days........

Im interested to hear if there are some local/handicraft type shopping mall? kinda like the suanlum night bazaar in bangkok? the Malls dont do much for me....Ive been to Glorietta

also good places to eat/drink/dessert are always welcome suggestions :D

thanks again all :D

If you're in Manilia you can check baywalk at night. restaurants along the bay with a wide variety of food and nice music too. If you want to eat seafood, try seafood wharf just near Manila Hotel, ask the taxi they know it.Fresh seafood cook as you order and experience good mucis while they serenade you.For shopping, I would recommend divisoria mall near intramuros but be very good in bargaining. You can find anyhting there from handicrafts to clothes etc at a good price.but try to be very cautious and go there on weekends early in the morning or around 5pm.You can also try to see the mall of asia 2rd largest mall in the world one of the SM branches and if you're in makati there is glorietta for high end market sames as rustans and greenbelt.If you still have time visit malate for a drink or just enjoy wonderful musi. Iwould recommend Ratsky. Still has many places to go like timog (south), the fort and libis all good places i assured you been there.

But the best part of the philippines is really the islands like cebu, boracay, davao, palawan and amanpulo(tom cruise and mariah carey to name a few guest)but very expensive.

goodluck on your trip!

bm

Don't know of any handicraft type malls. There is a large shopping area not far from the airport, called Baclaran I think, that has all sorts of goods and where mostly Filipinos shop. Don't know if there might be any handicrafts around there or not. But definitely not geared for tourists and if you go there you most definitely need to be on constant guard for pickpockets, etc. I had a brief look around there but quickly opted to leave as everything I saw was of very poor quality and felt slightly uneasy about my security.

thankyou...I will note some of these down and check them out :D

Ive been to Greenbelt and Glorietta...Greenbelt has some really nice restuarants to eat at :D including ofcourse my favorite Chocolate bar...Max Brenner. anyone in the Philippines MUST visit this place...they have branches in the States, Australia, Isreal....but the only one they have in SEA is in GreenBelt Makati :o:D

wheres a really fun place to go to in the evenings? (not the shopping now) :bah:

(apart from the Bay area...what about night life?)

again thanks as usual....to bigmove, soju and also others :D

Don't know of any handicraft type malls. There is a large shopping area not far from the airport, called Baclaran I think, that has all sorts of goods and where mostly Filipinos shop. Don't know if there might be any handicrafts around there or not. But definitely not geared for tourists and if you go there you most definitely need to be on constant guard for pickpockets, etc. I had a brief look around there but quickly opted to leave as everything I saw was of very poor quality and felt slightly uneasy about my security.

I agree with Soju, Baclaran is not a very safe place but good for shopping. If you are going to Manila be very extra cautious as there are many pickpockets even in taxi.

thankyou...I will note some of these down and check them out :D

Ive been to Greenbelt and Glorietta...Greenbelt has some really nice restuarants to eat at :D including ofcourse my favorite Chocolate bar...Max Brenner. anyone in the Philippines MUST visit this place...they have branches in the States, Australia, Isreal....but the only one they have in SEA is in GreenBelt Makati :o:D

wheres a really fun place to go to in the evenings? (not the shopping now) :bah:

(apart from the Bay area...what about night life?)

again thanks as usual....to bigmove, soju and also others :D

Well, for nightlife I would suggest Malate, Timog as they party evn on streets at night.But if you want a really highend nightlife then Libis (Quezon city) and The fort (near Makati) is the place to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know which airlines go to Manila from Bangkok ?

Thai airways, Philippine airlines and Cebu. Want a cheap rate fly cebu but yeah it lacks leg room and thr flight is usually 1:35 am. I also tried Kuwait air.Good seats, good food cheaper than Philippine airlines but a little bit expensive than cebu. I think the flight is from Dubao or somewhere in the middle east and stops here to refuel and pick up some passengers. Cebu pacigi uses the same plane they use for domestic flight. No food just a free drink. if you are hungry you can buy food and drinks they sell it inside cost about USD1 and up.

Hope this helps.

BM