The Thai Economy Is In Crisis

george

meanwhile .......................

BoT says Thai exports will decrease in last half of 2007

Sunday 19 August 2007 03:58:34 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Aug 19 (TNA) - Thailand's exports during the second half of 2007 have been projected to retreat from the first half due to the sluggish economies of the country's trading partners, according to a senior official of the Bank of Thailand (BoT) speaking on Sunday.

Suchada Kirakul, assistant governor of BoT's Monetary Policy Group, said that a central bank report on inflation in July projected Thailand's exports during the second half of this year would be lower than during the first half and that this was in line with the general economies of the country's trading partners.

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited

well that's the engine of the economy according to the pundits , now what ???? :o

Why are they repeating this info? Someone posted a link when the report first came out and now a month later they've written a new article.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BANGKOK, Aug 19 (TNA) - Thailand's exports during the second half of 2007 have been projected to retreat from the first half due to the sluggish economies of the country's trading partners, according to a senior official of the Bank of Thailand (BoT) speaking on Sunday.

Suchada Kirakul, assistant governor of BoT's Monetary Policy Group, said that a central bank report on inflation in July projected Thailand's exports during the second half of this year would be lower than during the first half and that this was in line with the general economies of the country's trading partners.

snip

well that's the engine of the economy according to the pundits , now what ???? :o

>>'tis the best of my limited knowledge that the application fee is non-refundable and further costs will be incurred if successful ...........................

>>my hand is up as being unable to afford to gamble 95 k .

So, are we supposed to take your financial expertise seriously?

You just posted in the 'Why Do So Few Get Residency?' thread that 95,000 baht is too much for you to loose? Seems like you should get your own financial affairs in order before worrying about Thailand's!

No wonder there are so many posts from disgruntled and bitter people on here. :D

Rubber export growth bestin five years

Rubber exports this year from Thailand, the world's biggest producer, will probably rise at the fastest pace in five years as production outpaces local demand.

The country plans to ship 3.1 million tonnes of the commodity this year, 12% more than in 2006, said Somjate Pratummintra, a senior rubber policy adviser at the Agriculture Ministry. Shipments would probably rise to 3.5 million tonnes in 2008, he said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/180807_Business...g2007_biz39.php

CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS / SIAM CEMENT GROUP

Asia and Africa fuel gains for SCG unit

Siam Cement Trading Co is increasingly upbeat about its business prospects for the rest of this year, buoyed by an impressive performance in the first six months. Sales in the first half of this year rose 38% year-on-year to 23.7 billion baht, driven by the diversification of product lines and markets, said managing director Kalin Sarasin.

The trading arm of the Siam Cement Group (SCG) expects to achieve full-year sales of 48 billion baht, a gain of 40% from last year, due to substantial increases in Asia and Africa.

Sales are projected to reach 100 billion baht by 2011, Mr Kalin said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/180807_Business...g2007_biz30.php

snip

>>'tis the best of my limited knowledge that the application fee is non-refundable and further costs will be incurred if successful ...........................

>>my hand is up as being unable to afford to gamble 95 k .

So, are we supposed to take your financial expertise seriously?

You just posted in the 'Why Do So Few Get Residency?' thread that 95,000 baht is too much for you to loose? Seems like you should get your own financial affairs in order before worrying about Thailand's!

No wonder there are so many posts from disgruntled and bitter people on here. :bah:

:D:D

my hand is up as being unable to afford to gamble 95 k .

:D:D

Siam Cement Trading Co is increasingly upbeat about its business prospects for the rest of this year, buoyed by an impressive performance in the first six months. Sales in the first half of this year rose 38% year-on-year to 23.7 billion baht, driven by the diversification of product lines and markets, said managing director Kalin Sarasin.

The trading arm of the Siam Cement Group (SCG) expects to achieve full-year sales of 48 billion baht, a gain of 40% from last year, due to substantial increases in Asia and Africa.

:D:o Puzzled, as I'm sure I read just a little while ago that cement production was down...?

Well, who knows, TIT.

LaoPo

:D:o Puzzled, as I'm sure I read just a little while ago that cement production was down...?

Well, who knows, TIT.

LaoPo

me too as 3 weeks ago we were told that the rubber export is down and it turn out its up.

we also got many posts since this thread opened telling us that Thailand is in a crisis???

We also got many posts that this crisis is the Thai Junta fault. and that BOT are amtures.

it seems that "dooms day brigade" is having a realy hard day today. :D

economy is doing well... not great but definatly not a crisis.

The junta is doing everything it promissed to do. there is referendum today and there will be elections in december.

Well, who knows, TIT.

LaoPo

me too as 3 weeks ago we were told that the rubber export is down and it turn out its up.

I think there's a difference. The above mentioned company is a Trading business and maybe not a cement production co., but I'm not sure. :D

LaoPo

Company Name SCT CO., LTD.

Product Construction Materials

Head Office

Address 1 Siam Cement Road, Bangsue, Bangkok 10800 Thailand

Tel (66 2) 586-3333, 586-4444, 586-4385

Fax (66 2) 587-2145, 587-0750

E-mail [email protected]

Web site -

Factory

Address -

Tel -

Fax -

Business Type Trading Company

Registered Capital Bt 120 million

Established Year 1978

Attn. Mr. Thirasakdi Nathikanchanalab (Managing Director)

Mr. Sarayuth Saengchan

(Manager-Finance & Administration Division

Head Office

E-mail [email protected]

Web site -

Factory

Address -

Tel -

Fax -

Established Year 1978

Mr. Sarayuth Saengchan

Thanks, that explains it, since Siam Cement Trading Co. is wholly-owned by the Siam Cement Group.

If I remember well, the latter had a production/sales decrease lately because of declined demand.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Rubber exports this year from Thailand, the world's biggest producer, will probably rise at the fastest pace in five years as production outpaces local demand.

The country plans to ship 3.1 million tonnes of the commodity this year, 12% more than in 2006, said Somjate Pratummintra, a senior rubber policy adviser at the Agriculture Ministry. Shipments would probably rise to 3.5 million tonnes in 2008, he said.

continues

Higher exports are ''certainly not positive news'' for prices, said Takaki Shigemoto, an analyst at the Tokyo commodities brokerage Okachi & Co. Farmers in Thailand had increased rubber planting and output in recent years to profit from rising prices, he added.

Rubber for January delivery on the Tokyo Commodity Exchange (Tocom) lost 9.4 yen, or 3.9%, to 234.2 yen a kilogramme ($2,071 a tonne) yesterday, after falling to 233.7 yen, the lowest since Dec 25. Thailand's production will probably climb 11% to 3.5 million tonnes this year from 3.14 million last year, and reach 3.9 million tonnes in 2008, Mr Somjate said.

continues

Higher exports are ''certainly not positive news'' for prices, said Takaki Shigemoto, an analyst at the Tokyo commodities brokerage Okachi & Co. Farmers in Thailand had increased rubber planting and output in recent years to profit from rising prices, he added.

Rubber for January delivery on the Tokyo Commodity Exchange (Tocom) lost 9.4 yen, or 3.9%, to 234.2 yen a kilogramme ($2,071 a tonne) yesterday, after falling to 233.7 yen, the lowest since Dec 25. Thailand's production will probably climb 11% to 3.5 million tonnes this year from 3.14 million last year, and reach 3.9 million tonnes in 2008, Mr Somjate said.

who cares if the #s are down and the junta is around......as long as your belly is full with som tham......

Net profits of listed firms drop by 17%

Listed companies reported a 17% decline in net profits for the first half compared with the same period last year, said the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Net profits for 469 listed companies reporting for the six-month period ending on June 30 totalled 229.4 billion baht, down 47.67 billion from the same period last year.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/20Aug2007_biz19.php

or perhaps we could call it palms' opinion , clouded by rose coloured glasses ,

makes as much sense ,

standing by for further personal attacks that have no connection with the thread ,

over to you palm ...............................

I try to keep my comments to a minimum on this thread simply because I know there are much more imformed individuals then myself on it. Some in one position and others taking a different view. The interesting thing is that all, no matter what thier position can find supporting evidence daily.

I try to keep my comments to a minimum on this thread simply because I know there are much more imformed individuals then myself on it. Some in one position and others taking a different view. The interesting thing is that all, no matter what thier position can find supporting evidence daily.

or twist it to serve their purpose

Thai stocks open 3.25 per cent higher

Thai shares gained 24.66 points or 3.25 per cent when the market opened for trading Monday morning.

The composite index of the Stock Exchange of Thailand rose to 783.08 at 10:02 am with the turnover value of Bt2.581 billion.

The blue-chip SET50 index rose 19.97 or 3.71 per cent to 557.67.

Source: The Nation - 20 August 2007

or twist it to serve their purpose

I guess that is the norm in debates, which I beleive at times this really is.

More investment expected after election

10:10 EC: Referendum results this evening

09:59 EC gives nod to Dec. 16 election date

09:36 Gen. Sonthi welcomes voters' decision

09:25 China Airlines plane catches fire

07:34 Liverpool manager fumes at referee

23:04 Thais support army-backed charter, early tally shows

21:21 Thaksin's Man City beats ManU

18:22 TRT says it accepts adoption of charter

18:11 More investment expected after election

17:59 THAI VOTERS APPROVE NEW CHARTER

More foreign investment is expected in Thailand after the general election, tentatively to be held late this year, while Thai investors need to focus more on using advanced technology in their industrial ventures, Finance Minister Chalongphob Sussangkarn said Sunday.

The country’s Sunday August 19 referendum on the draft constitution is just the starting point which will lead to a general election and eventually create a positive atmosphere, Mr. Chalongphob said.

Despite the ongoing political turbulence in the country, a number of foreign investors have opened factories using medium- and high-end technologies, he said.

Haier Co. of China has opened a factory producing electrical appliances and exports to Southeast Asian countries while an Australian firm has decided to use Thailand as production base in manufacturing washing machine instead of Vietnam or China.

Commenting on Thai investors, he said local investors still focus on using labourers in their manufacturing process. He said they need to switch to using advanced technology otherwise they would face a similar problem like they are encountering now.

The public sector must also invest in order to encourage private businessmen to follow suit, said Mr. Chalongphob. (TNA)

bangkok post

China woes helping Thai food exports

PHUSADEE ARUNMAS

Thai food producers are likely to receive a windfall from exports to the United States, the European Union, Canada and Japan, which have all imposed stringent measures against Chinese food, local industry executives say.

Vilai Kiatsrichart, president of the Thai Food Processors Association, said food orders this month had been rising after Chinese products came under suspicion for sanitary and safety violations.

"Although Thai exports have lost competitiveness from the strong baht, our quality standards give us a stronger edge," she said.

The improving situation should ensure Thailand's food exports fetch 140 billion baht in export revenue this year, a 10% to 12% increase over the previous year.

Even so, the baht _ which has appreciated by 6% since the start of the year _ has hit export earnings, Mrs Vilai said.

To offset the losses, she said, Thai food producers should pay more attention to innovation and technology to manufacture higher-value products.

Poj Aramwattananont, president of the Thai Frozen Foods Association, said shrimp exporters believed US consumption would drop by about 10% this year due to the economic slowdown.

"Although a weaker baht is the best, a stable baht could raise shipments to serve the coming festive season later this year," he said.

Some exporters have shifted their focus to Japan, hoping the new Thailand-Japan free trade agreement that takes effect on Oct 1 would boost shrimp exports. The deal eliminates import tariffs on frozen and processed shrimp.

The agreement could increase fresh and processed shrimp exports by 5% to 10% over last year, Mr Poj added.

Last year, Thailand's exports of fresh and processed shrimp reached 305,807 tonnes worth US$1.99 billion, or about 76 billion baht. The US market controlled 177,717 tonnes worth $1.19 billion, or 45.43 billion baht. Export volume to Japan was 47,177 tonnes worth 13.41 billion baht, while 14,865 tonnes worth 3.95 billion baht were shipped to the EU.

STOCKS / OPERATING RESULTS

POST REPORTERS

Listed companies reported a 17% decline in net profits for the first half compared with the same period last year, said the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

Net profits for 469 listed companies reporting for the six-month period ending on June 30 totalled 229.4 billion baht, down 47.67 billion from the same period last year.

Among companies reporting results, 367 companies posted profits and the rest had losses.

Second-quarter profits totalled 114.57 billion baht, down 10% from the same period last year.

SET president Patareeya Benjapolchai noted that first-half sales for listed companies rose 5% year-on-year to 2.86 trillion baht.

"The decline in first-half profits compared to the same period last year was due to the increase in cost of sales, while having less profit from exchange rates due to the strengthening baht," she said in a statement.

snip

The Post Publishing Public Co

STOCKS / OPERATING RESULTS

POST REPORTERS

Listed companies reported a 17% decline in net profits for the first half compared with the same period last year, said the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

Net profits for 469 listed companies reporting for the six-month period ending on June 30 totalled 229.4 billion baht, down 47.67 billion from the same period last year.

Among companies reporting results, 367 companies posted profits and the rest had losses.

Second-quarter profits totalled 114.57 billion baht, down 10% from the same period last year.

SET president Patareeya Benjapolchai noted that first-half sales for listed companies rose 5% year-on-year to 2.86 trillion baht.

"The decline in first-half profits compared to the same period last year was due to the increase in cost of sales, while having less profit from exchange rates due to the strengthening baht," she said in a statement.

snip

The Post Publishing Public Co

good post

that says that there are 469 companies listed.

367 made profit..

only 102 had losses.

that is outstanding in any standards.

Head Office

E-mail [email protected]

Web site -

Factory

Address -

Tel -

Fax -

Established Year 1978

Mr. Sarayuth Saengchan

Thanks, that explains it, since Siam Cement Trading Co. is wholly-owned by the Siam Cement Group.

If I remember well, the latter had a production/sales decrease lately because of declined demand.

LaoPo

so you dont worry to much about the state of the company. :o

KT/RR/WJ 07 - 181 August 20, 07

To Director and Manager

The Stock Exchange of Thailand

Joint Venture with Kubota Corporation

The Siam Cement Public Company Limited (or SCC) hereby announces that it

reached a joint venture agreement with Kubota Corporation (of Japan) on

August 20, 2007 to manufacture agricultural tractors in Thailand. This joint

venture will have a registered capital of 1,100 MB, and SCC will hold a 40%

stake while Kubota Corporation will hold the remaining 60% stake

BANGKOK, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Thoresen Thai Agencies <TTA.BK>, Thailand's leading dry bulk shipping firm, said on Monday it expected its 2006/2007 net profit and revenues to grow more than 20 percent, due mainly to higher freight rates.

"As freight rates and revenues from Mermaid are improving, both should lift our profits for the full year," managing director Chandchutha Chandratat said of its 78-percent owned subsidiary Mermaid Maritime PCL.

Mermaid, an oil-drilling ship operator contributing about 10 percent of Thoresen's net profit, was in the process of submitting an initial public offering filing to Singapore exchange <.STI>, Chandchutha told reporters.

Thoresen, which has 45 ships, is forecast to report a 27 percent rise in earnings to 4.5 billion baht ($131 million) in its financial year ending Sept. 30 from 3.5 billion baht a year earlier, according to 13 analysts polled by Reuters.

They also expected the firm to have revenues of 18.8 billion baht in the current financial year, up 10 percent from 17 billion baht a year earlier.

It reported a 42 percent rise in net profit to 3.8 billion baht in the first nine months on revenues of 14.7 billion baht.

so you dont worry to much about the state of the company. :D

KT/RR/WJ 07 - 181 August 20, 07

To Director and Manager

The Stock Exchange of Thailand

Joint Venture with Kubota Corporation

The Siam Cement Public Company Limited (or SCC) hereby announces that it

reached a joint venture agreement with Kubota Corporation (of Japan) on

August 20, 2007 to manufacture agricultural tractors in Thailand. This joint

venture will have a registered capital of 1,100 MB, and SCC will hold a 40%

stake while Kubota Corporation will hold the remaining 60% stake

Cement and agricultural tractors.... :o

I fail to see the connection, but who am I ?

LaoPo