Clothes Washing Machines, Which One?

rumrunner

I an thinking of purchasing a medium size washing machine for my apt. I have looked at Big C, Carrefour and Lotus. I think I would purchase a Japanese brand such as Panasonic in the 6 -12 thousand baht range. They are a bit different that ones we use in USA so I am at a bit of a loss on things I should consider.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by bronco
typo

I assume you mean that they're top-loading (vertical drum) rather than front-loading (horizontal drum) ? If it's just for you, then 7kg capacity should be enough. LG and Samsung are also good brands. Whichever you go for, get one with a steel drum rather than plastic - they last longer.

Being from the UK, I'm used to front-loaders which seem to get a better wash result as a result of the more vigorous tumbling action, but they're 100% more expensive than the equivalent top-loader here. To be honest, I've been unimpressed with the performance of the cold-water top-loaders compared to the variable temperature front-loader that I know from the UK. To get white stuff clean, I reckon I always have to use the soak function.

There are a couple of types;

1) cold water twin tub (this is the cheapo thai made thing with one tub for washing and one for spinning)

2) cold water single tub (wash and spin)

3) cold & hot water single tub (you'll need an external water heater or other external hot water source)

4) self heating single tub

There are plenty of choices when it comes to #1, 2, 3. Fewer #4, but Whirlpool has a couple of decently priced self heating models with good capacity. Go for #3 if you have a hot water supply, otherwise #4.

Rumrunner, I don't know if they're in you area or not but 2 other places that will carry washing machines and more expensive ones are Home Pro and Power Buy.

I got a full-size built in the USA GE with a center agitator from power buy, didn't come cheap 20K+ but it really does the job well. Any of the front load washers will not come cheap either. Expect to pay 30K+ for a front load.

When I've had problems with the washer twice but the warranty has taken care of it on both occasions. (wouldn't drain and wouldn't spin)what ever you do check out the warranty on the item and only give photo copies of the warranty don't give originals when claiming.

Good luck to you.

Side note when i bought the thing they asked if i was opening/ running a laundry? I said no, but i plan to have 4 kids so there's going to be a lot of laundry.

the center agitator or that pole looking thing in the middle is a good thing to have in a washing machine...

without it, clothes get tangled up and you have to untangle them by hand...its really anoying.....in thai say 'mai poog pun' that means 'wont get tangled and tied up'.

as some machines market this for some of there machines....id get a new machine, but mine hasnt croaked yet, although the beeper stopped working a couple years ago, its a hoover and its going on 4 years now.

In my experience in Thailand, Whilrpool service totally sucks - had to wait 9 weeks for a spare part from Brazil for a fridge and after 2 YEARS am still waiting for the replacement part for my top loading Whirlpool washing machine. No surprises, never bought anything Whilrpool since and there service centres are just plan hopeless. I have found Electrolux service to be good with plenty of spares on hand + Japanese brands tend to be good, as they rarely break down in the first place. If it was me I'd be going for a Japanese hot water machine, but cant say I have ever seen one, hence I got an Electrolux front loader which is fine. The instructions on some models are totally simple - basically just showed the maid, turn it C wash and press on.

I had a great washing machine back in the UK.

Debbie was the brand name. She was a front loader which I dumped my load in once or twice a week and she never followed me around. :o

Very cheap to maintain too. :D

A lot depends on if you were a rugby and field ( for our US friends ) hockey player, Sadly being both for years, backs knackered and top loaders are far more comfortable than bending and looking in for that last pair of shreddies.

I an thinking of purchasing a medium size washing machine for my apt. I have looked at Big C, Carrefour and Lotus. I think I would purchase a Japanese brand such as Panasonic in the 6 -12 thousand baht range. They are a bit different that ones we use in USA so I am at a bit of a loss on things I should consider.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Check your drainage. The top loaders at the bottom of your price range don't have drainage pumps and drain by gravity. If you need a machine with a pump it'll be nearer the top of your price range (and probably a front loader).

Well, that's the story I fell for, anyway.

My Missus had bought an Electrolux some 15 years ago. It's still working everyday and we never had a single problem. We moved it to our new home 3 years ago and it has to deal now with the wash load of a family with 2 small kids, the parents and the maid.

Thank you Electrolux :o

I would think that washing machines in Thailand does not need a hot water function because the temperatures at the tropics, hovering around 28 degree celsius is considered hot enough to kill germs on your clothes and beddings.

Top loaders are easier to just dump the clothes in, sans any laundry basket. :o

But for folks living in apartments/condos. I guess a front loader washer will be better, accompanied by a front loading dryer on top of the washer, it saves space and errrr......dry your clothes. :D That is....you have no wife/girlfriends/domestic maids to errrmmmm take your clothes out of the washer and put them out to dry.

Anyway, I hear the dusts, rain in any asian cities arent beneficial to your clean drying clothes. :D

I would think that washing machines in Thailand does not need a hot water function because the temperatures at the tropics, hovering around 28 degree celsius is considered hot enough to kill germs on your clothes and beddings.

Top loaders are easier to just dump the clothes in, sans any laundry basket. :o

But for folks living in apartments/condos. I guess a front loader washer will be better, accompanied by a front loading dryer on top of the washer, it saves space and errrr......dry your clothes. :D That is....you have no wife/girlfriends/domestic maids to errrmmmm take your clothes out of the washer and put them out to dry.

Anyway, I hear the dusts, rain in any asian cities arent beneficial to your clean drying clothes. :D

the hot water is not needed to kill germs in domestic laundry, usually the detergent and the drying process kills any unwanted bacteria. However, in hospitals and resthomes for elderly care etc, hot water (up to 75c) is essential with the combination of a chemical sanitiser (usually chlorine or oxygen bleach) for the killing and cleaning of soiled fabric.

a hot water wash is generally better for soil removal.

I'll put in a good word for my 4-year old Hitachi--no problems thus far. It's the cold-water double tub type. It's within your price range. It takes a little getting used to (transferring the clothes for spinning), but not a big problem. I've used weekly and sometimes twice-weekly for two people. But, for any more people, I'd move up to a larger one.

Also, I support the post about avoiding Whirlpool. I bought a fridge here, and had to wait nearly two years for a repair under warranty. Yes, the warranty service sucks big-time.

the emporium has a large selection from many suppliers, including whirlpool i believe

I did not see any Whirlpool's where I looked. Any suggesttion besides the "big box" store on where to purchase. I was not aware ther were self heating models, so that is good new news.

Thanks

Hoover top loader. Had ours for about 12 yrs now and we use it more than once every day (mostly 2-3 times).

Had a fairly major repair about 4 yrs back but apart from that and a worn out drain hose,

always worked perfectly. Still have them for sale now around 26,000bt