Dog Horror Stories

I remember seeing a three legged dog once on Ko Samui. It actually had four legs but the rear left was dangling free from the pelvic bone as the result of a road accident.

As I watched it hobble to the pavement to eat a disguarded chicken bone, I noticed it had been scalped and I could see top of its skull, brown with dried blood and pus.

It appeared to have rice on it but a second glance revealed the rice to be wriggling about.

That dog had not seemed bothered about it's condition but the dog I saw this morning would break the toughest of hearts.

It's condition was less horriffic that the Samui dog, but it was the sheer sadness in it's eyes. It was a very young dog that had absolutely no hair, just withered pink skin with black patches covered in sores, scars and burns.

It was totally alone against the concrete wall of a flyover, inches away from traffic and could barely raise it's head to the level of endless exhausts it has endured all it's miserable, unloved life.

It was it's eyes... I have never in my life seen a creature with such sadness, despair and longing for an end to it's suffering as this poor thing.

It caught my eye for a second as if to ask me a question which it would have had every right to... "Why am I this way?".

For the record, I have never been a dog person and never had one as a pet but I wouldn't wish this suffering on a wasp.

I couldn't bear to see it in that condition and considered finding a policeman and asking him to shoot it but that seemed unrealistic, as did obtaining a syringe containing a drug to put it to sleep.

The only other option was to kick it in the head repeatedly as hard as I could until it died but I'm not the sort of person who could do that and I would want it to have at least one experience of human kindness before it left this wretched earth.

I was on a motorbike taxi waiting for the traffic lights to change so there was nothing I could do except leave it be and swallow the lump in my throat.

I've heard there is a dog sanctuary in Bkk run by a Thai man who picks them up. Is there a contact number I can ring the next time I see a dog in this condition or similar?

Yeah, they love dogs so much in the Kingdom but as usual there's something wrong about it. My overseas visitor always complain about the cruelty of the Thai people, they take solely care of their own or soi dogs when they're alive, when they're lying dead on the road noone will bother removing them... TIT

:o

Yeah, they love dogs so much in the Kingdom but as usual there's something wrong about it. My overseas visitor always complain about the cruelty of the Thai people, they take solely care of their own or soi dogs when they're alive, when they're lying dead on the road noone will bother removing them... TIT

Not true - I saw a dead dog lying on open ground near my soi in Phuket, and a few hours later it was gone. There was a fresh pile of dirt nearby, so I guess that was where someone buried it.

Having said that, I will upset a lot of dog lovers now by saying that I think there should be regular culling of stray dogs - those that are clearly not owned and just roam the streets living off scraps and out of rubbish bins. I know it's difficult to assess, but there must be a way of getting rid of strays.

I must also confess to feeding the dogs who come to me while I am sitting on the beach and having a meal. The problem is, they are so friendly and pathetic looking. I also used to take dog food up the mountain in Phuket City where all the monkeys live and give it to the few packs that live there.

I wish there was a way of killing them humanely.

There is a difference between cruelty and neglect.

One can be forgiven for initially thinking Thai's are cruel to dogs, but it's just neglect - cruelty doesn't sit well with the laws of Bhuddism but there's nothing that says you have to take care of and strays.

Humane way of killing? ...Anything instant, and if it's not asking too much, five minutes of clean water, decent food and a bit of love beforehand.

RDN,

I did notice not to long ago, that they were culling dogs in my area. They use a blow dart and then come back the next day to "pick them up". It is sad as the soi dogs in my area are so smart and street wise, but I agree with you that there is far to many.

I have adopted many over the years and even tried to take one with me when I moved, but she didnt like the move so I took her back and put her back amongst her familiar surroundings.

One can be forgiven for initially thinking Thai's are cruel to dogs, but it's just neglect - cruelty doesn't sit well with the laws of Bhuddism but there's nothing that says you have to take care of and strays.

Humane way of killing? ...Anything instant, and if it's not asking too much, five minutes of clean water, decent food and a bit of love beforehand.

GC, I tend to disagree with you on Thai's not being cruel to dogs, I have seen it time and time again when the Thai guys kick them and aslo aim for them while riding thier motorbikes.

Generally not specifically and no more than any other country.

Our species in general, in my country, yours and all over the world, generally treat animals like shit, ok you and me don't but I've heard of some awful cases of cruelty in the U.K. in my time.

That's one of many reasons why my signature below is what it is.

RDN,

I did notice not to long ago, that they were culling dogs in my area. They use a blow dart and then come back the next day to "pick them up". It is sad as the soi dogs in my area are so smart and street wise, but I agree with you that there is far to many.

I have adopted many over the years and even tried to take one with me when I moved, but she didnt like the move so I took her back and put her back amongst her familiar surroundings.

Yes, in Phuket there was a big problem with packs of stray dogs and they did cull them. And now that it's getting bad again, there is more talk in the papers about the need for more culling. There is also talk of a stray dog pound, but that is being ridiculed as being too small and what could be done when it is full. Also, the Thais (and probably farangs) living near the site of the proposed pound, don't want it, complaining of noise, smell and more dogs loose in their area. I quite agree with them - not in my back yard, please :o .

One can be forgiven for initially thinking Thai's are cruel to dogs, but it's just neglect

A house next to my apartment kept several dogs (not sure how many) locked up in a pen at the bottom of the yard, which so happens to be close to my building. The dogs howled and barked all the time and never seemed to get out much or be walked at all.

Finally a few years passed and someone decided to let them loose on the soi, where they spend much of their time. So now mixed in among all the soi dogs is a siberian husky and a golden retriever. Sad to see them rooting through garbage, but they seem happy- and I'm sure it's a heck of a lot better than being locked up in a cage all day long.

The husky is very friendly and even spent a lot of time hanging out in the lobby of our building, as one of the guards was nice to him. One day I was giving him some attention and he wandered back to go in the elevator with me- which makes me wonder if some people haven't allowed him to stay in their apartment before.

Perhaps we need to get those 'a dog is for life, not just for xmas' bumper stickers translated into Thai.

If they don't cull them, then they should fixem so they don't multiply. There's a program in Hawaii that does it for free. You catch the critter and bring it in and they do the job and then you are asked to release it back to where it came from. Cutting some of the nuts of these bad soi dogs would really quiet them down. :o In Hawaii, it's the cats that are the real problem though. Damm things are everywhere.

In Samui and in Phangan there are volunteer organizations set up by farang, run on donations, which go around picking up strays and sterilizing them and treating them. Yes, they release them back to where they come from, but that is because they have neither the money nor the facilities to take care of hundreds of dogs. On Koh Phangan the stray dog problem is noticeably better, on the beach and at the wats. They also treat locally owned dogs, asking only that the owner pay what they can afford. Because of them, many locals get their dogs sterlized, thus reducing the dog population.

The Phangan organization is called PAC, on Samui it is called Samui Dog Rescue. They take donations and offers of volunteer help. I am amazed Phuket does not have something similar.

Just had a sad experiance with a cat which was probably caused by a dog or dogs. About 4 mth ago these two kittens started to come into the garden crying for food, one tomcat and one female, anyway the wife took pity on them and gave them food. Most days they would return, however 2 mth. ago the female simply dissappeared, then a month ago the tom turned up with its entrails hanging out! Again my wife took pity on the poor thing and so we found a vet to take it to. On examination he asked me if I knew if it was a boy or girl cat! I didn't realise its condition was that bad. The cat is still in the care of the vet, however he thinks it will recover, I hope, but to what?

On examination he asked me if I knew if it was a boy or girl cat! I didn't realise its condition was that bad. The cat is still in the care of the vet, however he thinks it will recover, I hope, but to what?

A Catoey? :o

Sorry, that was in bad taste, hope your cat gets well soon.

When I was working in Chachoengsao my wife and I would go to this little restaurant near the river a couple of times a week. I used to buy a couple of chickens for the dogs who hung out around there. The staff that worked there thought that I was crazy for doing it. It was so cheap I did not mind(35 baht), but it got to be a problem with the staff. They did not mind when people gave the dogs the left overs from there meals but I think I some how offended them by ordering for the dogs. We got the impression that we were not welcome there any more so we stopped. To bad for the dogs. They never begged for the food the would just sit there and wait for some one to feed them. I like to think that they remember the "Farang Chicken man"

If I ever hit the lottery for millions dollars I would set up some shelters all over Thailand for the stray dogs. Food and medical care and some type of program to control the breeding for all the dogs. I already have the name picked out . "The Temple of the Dogs". Now I just have to hit the lottery.

The Phangan organization is called PAC, on Samui it is called Samui Dog Rescue. They take donations and offers of volunteer help. I am amazed Phuket does not have something similar.

Hi SBK, there is an organisation called PAWS (Phuket Animal Welfare ?), it is run by a few English ladies.

> It caught my eye for a second as if to ask me a question which it would

> have had every right to... "Why am I this way?"

I think that's what happens to Thaivisa.com members who misbehaved on the board in their previous lifetime. Karma anyone? :o

Serious: I know a woman in Chiang Mai who has taken in lots (LOTS!) of stray dogs and most actually turn into pretty normal, healthy pets! There was a story in one of the local magazines about her, in which she told the story of once finding an absolute worst looking dog you've ever seen who'd also been hit by a car.. So she took it to the vet to have it put asleep. But.... the vet being Buddhist, he didn't want to actively kill an animal. Turned out that the dog not only recovered, but turned into a perfectly healthy animal, got all its fur back and everything.

Do Thais love or hate dogs? I'm not sure there is a one way or the other answer to that. I have a golden retriever dog myself that's very small in size for the breed. (That happens when other dogs eat all its food as a puppy) So picture this stunningly cute and small-mid sized little package oozing with cuteness who sincerely believes all people in the world are her playmates. (She's scared of all other dogs though. :D When driving around town with the dog in the back of the pick-up, MANY, many people smile at her or pet her. Not just middle class people who you'd suspect to have some proprly taken care of full breed dogs themselves, but also a good number of ordinary people, both male and female, like some parking attendant dude or whatever.

When I leave the dog in the car while going somewhere where dogs are best not taken in, upon returning I often find that someone put a little cup of water or some food there for the dog.

Based on all this I'd say "Yes, Thais love dogs!"... but I also know the fate of most mangy old soi dogs.. In fact I went after one soi dog with an end of wood myself after it chased after my dog. Didn't quite catch that dog but would have given it a real solid wack. (And objectively for no reason; dogs fighting and chasing each other away is just normal territorial behavior isn't it.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

What a pity I don't see the same compassion expressed for bar girls that I see on the forum for dogs!

Both are typically from a background with no advantages using whatever attributes they can summon (often the pleading eyes) to attempt to survive and better their lot in life.

Many are in terrible condition (hard and bitter) having been used and abused over an extended period.

Maybe someone can offer information of a place where bar girls can be cared for and given an opportunity to break out of a situation that most don't want to be in.

What a pity I don't see the same compassion expressed for bar girls that I see on the forum for dogs!

Both are typically from a background with no advantages using whatever attributes they can summon (often the pleading eyes) to attempt to survive and better their lot in life.

Many are in terrible condition (hard and bitter) having been used and abused over an extended period.

Maybe someone can offer information of a place where bar girls can be cared for and given an opportunity to break out of a situation that most don't want to be in.

Now that was a good post making a very fair point.

the different between a dog and a human is human think, human have choice, human can make decision, and much much more,

as for a dog they have no choice they live cause they have to live, they live cause they are born to live, they don't have a memory more than a few second.

never compare human to any kind of animal, we are superior we are put on this planet to protect other species

Unfortunately the on-line version of New Scientist doesn't have any of last weeks features available. If anyone has had the opportunity of reading it they would of realised that the long held urban myth that fish have a memory span of 3 seconds is simply not true. Anyone interested in animal inteligence should try to get hold of this weeks special.

Anyway, a lot of excellent features on animal intellegence this week, if you're interested but cannot get hold of this weeks issue give me a PM, I'll try to scan and send them to you :o

OK, we've established that around Thailand there are animal welfare societies, mainly farang run, depending on charity.

Can we organise some phone numbers, e-mail addy's, web-site URL's for these organisations? I have heard of one in Bangkok (Soi Dog Rescue, I think) and had also heard of PAWS.

I will hunt around and post what I can, then whoever wants to do something can - either get his/her local soi dogs spayed / neutered, contribute cash to the organisation, volunteer to help, so on.

It will be up to you :o

the different between a dog and a human is human think, human have choice, human can make decision, and much much more,

as for a dog they have no choice they live cause they have to live, they live cause they are born to live, they don't have a memory more than a few second.

never compare human to any kind of animal, we are superior we are put on this planet to protect other species

We are put on this planet to protect other species? At the rate we're going the only ones left are going to be the dogs...

we are superior?

Animals would have a hard time screwing up the planet more than we superior beings :o

Here are a few suggestions :

www.soidogrescue.org

www.petfinder.org/shelters/MA198.html

www.soidogfoundation.org

www.thaiwave.com/animalsupport

www.thaiwave.com/benjarong/associations

Tel: + 66 (9) 875 7513m. Email. Phuket Animal Welfare Society - PAWS. 371/12 Yaowaraj Rd., Muang. PHUKET, Phuket 83000. Tel: + 66 (76) 355 408.

Phuket Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) c/o Clinic Maeta,1 Komarapat Rd., Phuket, Thailand 83000 Telephone: 66-76-288-889, Fax: 66-76-288-889;

Phuket Animal Welfare Society MBE Phuket Suite #204 168/2 Phuket Road Talad Yai, Ampur Mueng Phuket 83000 Thailand Phone: 66 76 288 889 Fax: 66 76 288 889

as for a dog  they don't have a memory more than a few second.

What aload of crap. I can tell from your statement you have never owned a dog.

Some dogs are a he11 of alot better than some of the sick ,twisted demented people in this world.

I,ve had many dogs. Mostly German Shepards. They had memory better than alot of people I knew.

Most of them knew what I wanted just by looking at them.

Save the dogs!!! Eat more hot dogs blah :o

Koh Phangan:

PhaNgan Animal Care

www.pacthailand.org

PO Box 70, Thong Sala

Koh PhaNgan, Suratthani 84280

Thailand +66 (0)77 238375

+66 (0)9 8757513 (mobile)

Koh Samui;

www.samuidog.org

Dog Rescue Center Samui

Brigitte Gomm

112 / 35 Moo 6, Bophut

Koh Samui, 84320 Suratthani - THAILAND

Phone: 0066 77 413 490 or 0066 1 893 94 43

E-mail: [email protected]

From the Phuket Gazette - round up of strays starts next week, followed by sterilisation.

D-day for Phuket strays

THALANG: The great round-up of stray dogs in Phuket destined for the island's new dog pound will start on Monday and is expected to continue until August 11.

Phuket Provincial Livestock Office (PPLO) Chief Sunart Wongchawalit announced the plan at a meeting with other provincial officials yesterday at the Phuket Provincial Hall.

More than 1,000 stray dogs will be brought to Baan Pak Sunak Phuket (Phuket Rest Home for Dogs), the controversial new facility in the Ban Suan Khanoon area of Thalang District. The pound's capacity is 2,000 animals, K. Sunart said.

"With the cooperation of Phuket's 19 local administrations, we will catch stray dogs in tourism areas first. Each locality will be assigned two or three dates over the period during which to deliver the animals. Once delivered, the dogs will be separated by sex, sterilized and vaccinated," he said.

K. Sunart said that of the island's estimated 14,000 dogs, only about 4,000 are true strays.

He said dog owners should come and register their animals with their local administrations [to prevent them from being picked up]. He added that in the future the PPLO plans to implant microchips in all registered dogs, but that there is currently no budget for such a project.

The cost of each microchip is 180 baht, and he estimates that about 9,000 of the devices will be needed. The PPLO will schedule a public hearing to discuss dog control regulations after the new dog pound is in operation, he said.

In reference to concerns from Phuket's dog-loving community that the dog pound will become a canine killing field, with strong dogs killing off the weak ones, Chief Sunart said, "The aggressive dogs will be separated and isolated in cages."

"Actually, we aren't too worried about this. I have worked with dogs for more than 30 years and I know that dogs tend to be aggressive only within their own territory. When we put together dogs from different areas, aggression will not be such a big concern."

Regarding how the animals would be fed, Phuket Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura said he would contact the Southern Chapter of the Thai Hotels Association (THA) to try and organize the THA's 400 member-hotels on the island to donate leftovers to feed the dogs. He said this would be easier than trying to organize each of the 19 local administrations to provide food.

The dog pound now has about three tonnes of dry dog food, which K. Sunart estimates will last about one month.

Noting that the dog pound has received little support from the island's several dog welfare foundations (who believe the number of dogs to be housed at the facility is a recipe for disaster), K. Sunart said that a new foundation would be set up to raise money for the dogs' upkeep.

The PPLO also plans to build a "dog condominium", a kennel where dog owners can leave their pets for a cost of 50 baht per day while they are off the island. The dog condo will be separated from the rest of the facility and will comprise 200 individual cages, K. Sunart said.

These initiatives will help pay for the long-term care and feeding of the stray animals kept at the facility, he said.

See bulletin at http://www.phuketgazette.net/bulletins/index.asp?Id=761 for the round-up dates in each locale.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

Pepe' wrote.....

I,ve had many dogs. Mostly German Shepards. They had memory better than alot of people I knew.

Most of them knew what I wanted just by looking at them.I've had Gernam Shepherds too and yes they can almost talk.[/i]

I've had German Shepherds too and yes they can almost talk.

But thats an aside.

Here in Thailand they (Thais) must have a very twisted/distorted understanding about looking after dogs.

I accept that they would not willingly harm a dog but they haven't got a clue as to how to take care of them.

Dogs shouldn't be left to roam the soi's and villages.

And regardless of the amount of time that I have spent at the missus' folks house I have never once seen them put food out for the dogs.

And here where I live there is a cacophony of wails, barking and howls every morning when the temples start to ring the bells.

And in a country with so many serious issues (poor education standards, prostitution, road deaths etc) the country's money could be better spent than on dogs.

A temple in Bangkok a few years back was soliciting in the bangkok Post for money to help take care of the more than 600 dogs they had.

Bangkok has something like 120,000 stray dogs. If this is taking care of them I don't know about ones thinking process.

I suggested they should put the lot down and this remains my view.