Breakfast At The Old Dutch Sukhumvit 23

Oakley

I had the misfortune to have a breakfast meeting here recently. Ordered ham and eggs, toast and coffee. The ham was passable, the eggs were burnt with only the solid egg yolk edible (if you scraped it off). Took a bite of the first piece of toast - stale bread, picked up the second piece of toast and a small cockroach darted out from underneath it. It was probably stale as well but obviously i didn't fancy trying it. Could this be the worst place to have breakfast in Bangkok?

it changed hands a while back.

the prices shot up and the quality of the food the service and the staff took a tumble.

due to its location , many farangs take soi cowboy girls there for a meal in a forlorn attempt to inject some romance and sophistication into what otherwise might be only a gratuitous and carnal encounter.

good place for people watching and reading the papers , but the food is very disappointing

Edited by taxexile

it changed hands a while back.

the prices shot up and the quality of the food the service and the staff took a tumble.

due to its location , many farangs take soi cowboy girls there for a meal in a forlorn attempt to inject some romance and sophistication into what otherwise might be only a gratuitous and carnal encounter.

good place for people watching and reading the papers , but the food is very disappointing

Not me, I used to take them to the late night food stalls on Sukhumvit in an attempt to inject some romance and sophistication into what was always only a gratuitous and carnal encounter.

Worked out a lot cheaper.

Not me, I used to take them to the late night food stalls on Sukhumvit in an attempt to inject some romance and sophistication into what was always only a gratuitous and carnal encounter.

spoken like a true realist.

A few years back it was a great place, but then one day I noticed it all went to hel_l. I have to assume the original Dutch owner sold it and now it is in local hands, or the hands of someone who doesn't much care.

A few years back it was a great place, but then one day I noticed it all went to hel_l. I have to assume the original Dutch owner sold it and now it is in local hands, or the hands of someone who doesn't much care.

Same guys who own Suzie Wongs, Playschool et al

For a decent breakfast go to Jools on soi Nana, about 100-150 meters down the road on the left..

Now the Fat Guy has sold it is it still up to the old standard?

Don't know haven't been in over a year..

Its 8 years this month for me - Fat D is gone now so I might again ;-)

The quality off the food in the Old Dutch has gone way down since the Dutch owner sold the place to a Brit. The Dutch owner now is in Chiang Rai I believe and has a place there.

Unfortunately the Brit owners have focussed on Brittish food (who needs yet another place to buy one of the worst cuisines in Europe :o ) and so the quality of the other food has tumbled. They should change the name in something like "the Old Limey" as there is nothing Dutch about the Old Dutch anymore. Do not even have Dutch papers anymore .... instead you get the Sun.

What I do not understand is why there is not one place in Bangkok that has Dutch food. While in Pattaya there is over 10 in Chiang Mai there is 2 or 3, in Hua Hin, Phuket and Samui I head there are also some places. But since the Old Dutch became the Old Brit there is nothing in Bangkok. And there are many, really a lot of Dutch people around!

Waerth

The quality off the food in the Old Dutch has gone way down since the Dutch owner sold the place to a Brit. The Dutch owner now is in Chiang Rai I believe and has a place there.

Unfortunately the Brit owners have focussed on Brittish food (who needs yet another place to buy one of the worst cuisines in Europe

Waerth

Are you kidding. The Brits do the worlds best breakfasts, were not talking haute cuisine here are we (look at the thread title).. Studying in France with the "petite dejeuner" little breakfast was total crap compared to a big British fry up.. It is the most important meal of the day..

Plus some of the British chefs are now world famous - Gordon Ramsay anyone?

More Michelin stars in London than you can shake a stick at!

How many michelins in Holland?

Now if you said Belgian chefs thats another thing - they show their neighbours what food is about ;-)

Are you kidding. The Brits do the worlds best breakfasts, were not talking haute cuisine here are we (look at the thread title).. Studying in France with the "petite dejeuner" little breakfast was total crap compared to a big British fry up.. It is the most important meal of the day..

As a huge, fat American, I must disagree.

The Brits do a darn good breakfast, but without hash browns, eggs benedict, sour dough biscuits, French Toast, waffles and buttermilk pancakes, they can never be number one! :o

Now if you said Belgian chefs thats another thing - they show their neighbours what food is about ;-)

While I would maintain that a fry-up in a decent greasy spoon in London would just about beat any breakfast anywhere in the world, I must say that there are some very, very good restaurants in Amsterdam, Den Haag, etc.

While I would maintain that a fry-up in a decent greasy spoon in London would just about beat any breakfast anywhere in the world, I must say that there are some very, very good restaurants in Amsterdam, Den Haag, etc.

And I would agree with you

But many trot out the old myopic view about British food that was true in the 70's but is not now - just look at the Michelin star's and world wide reknown of many of them

But many trot out the old myopic view about British food that was true in the 70's but is not now - just look at the Michelin star's and world wide reknown of many of them

And all down to Gary Rhodes and his wonderful BRITISH cuisine cooking.

Many have followed, but I still use many of his recipes when I throw a bit of a bash.

Better than all this Froggie stuff with sauces to cover up the poor ingredients.

Hey - the Brits have hijacked yet another thread!

And all down to Gary Rhodes and his wonderful BRITISH cuisine cooking.

Many have followed, but I still use many of his recipes when I throw a bit of a bash.

Better than all this Froggie stuff with sauces to cover up the poor ingredients.

Hey - the Brits have hijacked yet another thread!

Maybe the Dutch have something to do with it?

Gary Rhodes got run down by a tram in Amsterdam before he was famous which needed brain surgery I think!

Was in the Old Dutch the other day. Had the chicken liver, seemed ok. 2 cops came in and ordered coffee, one of them had a meal too. After eating, they just got up and walked out without paying. The waiters pulled faces after they had left.

Go to the Beer House (BH) on Sukhumvit Soi 11 for breakfast.

Hank the founder of Old Dutch had a smaller place on Soi 23 years ago that served a great breakfast which had me coming back.. He closed an re-opened up as Old Dutch and I have been few times. Not impressed.

:o

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the Brit owners have focussed on Brittish food (who needs yet another place to buy one of the worst cuisines in Europe

Waerth

You can still get a good English breakfast almost anywhere in India

I have never been able to get my head around the bashing of English food. We knock up some of the best food in the world in my opinion – our food is no nonsense, staunchy, tasty, hearty, and warm. Rarely will you find many English dishes with numpty sauces and garnishing. That’s the point; it’s no nonsense, but tastes ace.

For anyone who has seen the Peter Kay ‘No Nonsense’ adverts for John Smiths beer, I would say this applies to our food also.

Toad in the whole, bangers and mash, roast dinners, pie and mash etc etc. Not very inventive, granted – but I have yet to find any other grub worldwide that really knocks you out and hits the spot.

English breakfast is world wide famous. Best in the world.

Anyway – back on topic….I have yet to find a decent breakfast in Bangkok, anywhere. The sausage is usually savaloy, bacon is usually just a strip of fat – and who needs bloody salad of all things served with a fry up?

The closest I have ever got to a proper breakfast in Thailand is at Big Joes, in Ko Samui.

81 restaurants with 1, 2 or 3 stars in Holland.

But, you can't compare a small country like Holland with London or the UK, with the # of citizens alone. Holland has just 16.3 million...and London..? :o

LaoPo