Thailand Passport, When is the earliest to extend it?

We are leaving Thailand as soon as wife and kids get covid vaccinated. We may not be coming back to Thailand for few years or until covid-19 mandatory requirement is back like the old times. We might be in case of emergency situation but i hope not.

On Thai passports of my wife and kids, there are 3.5 years validity (exp end of 2024). By law, are they eligible to extend those passports years before its expiration time? Or should we report those passports as missing?

Can they apply for 10yrs passports? Where? How much the cost?

thanks

As far as I know there is no minimum validity rule for getting a new Thai passport.

You wife can get a 10 year passport. The children will only be able to the 5 year passports unless they are over 15 (not sure about the age it could be 18). A 5 year passport costs 1000 baht and the 10 year is 1500 baht.

Office locations and other info in Thai is here. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/page/cate-5383-หนังสือเดินทาง?menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c00817f

• Like 1

I've seen a child's passport extended when it had 2 years remaining validity.

This was done so that the mother's and her 2 children's passports all expired at the same time. This way it meant one trip every 5 years for the family and not trips in different years for each family member.

• Like 1