Thaksin Applies For A New Passport

Mid

There is a purpose behind the disappearance of the suitcase. Time will tell what it was.

I can't come back just yet, I lost my passport. When I get my replacement I need to check it works properly by going to several countries and that may take some time. :o:D

As I have pointed out - they do not have to issue him with a new passport - they can issue him with travel documents that allow him only to travel to Thailand

Embassies do this every single day.

They will issue him with a passport because they do not want him to come back

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he went to Russia to drum up support from the Mafia who are a force to be reckoned with now in Thailand.

For someone who knows Russia as well as I do, it is absolutely not surprising that he was robbed. Surely, he was an object of special attention from local mafia the moment he stepped on sacred Russian land. Thus, I do not believe that it is something self-organized.

By the way " Prekanov institute" should be "Plekhanov institute" I believe . To give you the idea that I know what I am talking about.

Very funny, Russian mafia chasing Thaksin...they operates with oil, gas, diamonds and gold...give me a break with your theories. Erunda:)

A2006092136C.jpg

Damage to billionaire Thaksin Shinawatra, caused by Moscow thieves, exceeded 800,000 rubles.

Kommersant

He was awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Economic Sciences. *with a major in Corruption and a minor in Tax Evasion*

- Kommersant (Russia)

May I ask you, Sriracha John, with all due respect:

Are you inhabitant of the Sriracha Zoo?

Sriracha doesn't have a zoo, but why do you ask?

A2006092136C.jpg

Damage to billionaire Thaksin Shinawatra, caused by Moscow thieves, exceeded 800,000 rubles.

Kommersant

He was awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Economic Sciences. *with a major in Corruption and a minor in Tax Evasion*

- Kommersant (Russia)

Great picture of Thaksin.. How do you know he's lying?

His mouth is open! :o

I am just wondering whether it can give a pause to at least one of khun Thaksin bashers: they like to present a man as a kind of malicious clown.

I prefer to call him and his coterie conniving, manipulative, scheming crooks.

What about thinking about him as a honorable, smart man with great vision for his own country who was deposed by mediocre midgets fighting for their privileges? Why prestigious Academic institutions honor him? Why businessmen around the world show so much respect for him? Why leading agencies want to have interviews with him? Why midgets in BKK are afraid of couple of his calls to community radio stations? America, China, Japan, Singapore and now Russia. Quite a spectrum.

He is welcome everywhere...

What about volunteering to be judged insane?

Meanwhile, our ousted leader spent at least three minutes foaming away like a tethered wildebeest outside a McDonaldski in Moscow last week. And who walks around with Bt1.2 million in their briefcase, apart from Robert Mugabe perhaps? Next thing we know, Thaksin's friends back home will be issuing bumper stickers that read: "Thai Rak Thai: BEGGING FOR CHANGE".

- The Nation

QUOTE(mumbu @ 2007-05-26 06:41:08) *

I am just wondering whether it can give a pause to at least one of khun Thaksin bashers: they like to present a man as a kind of malicious clown.

What about thinking about him as a honorable, smart man with great vision for his own country who was deposed by mediocre midgets fighting for their privileges? Why prestigious Academic institutions honor him? Why businessmen around the world show so much respect for him? Why leading agencies want to have interviews with him? Why midgets in BKK are afraid of couple of his calls to community radio stations? America, China, Japan, Singapore and now Russia. Quite a spectrum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Honorable?" Look at the charges against him.

"Great Vision for his country?" Yes, as long as he was able to make billions of baht for himself, his family and his corrupt cronies.

"Mediocre midgets?" The coup was accepted by a majority of Thais as an inevitable end to 5 years of his pillaging the economy, making deals with other countries,particularly Burma, to enrich himself.

The "midgets" merely took him out to prevent further social and financial damage.

"Mediocre"..... yes, they have been less than spectacular in nailing him!

"Prestigious Academic institutions"? Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Oxford, Cambridge, M.I.T. etc etc.

No, just minor academic institutions and honorary degrees.

"Businessmen respect him" ? They love his money. As for respect.......I doubt it.

As for his globetrotting travels, a desperate man going round in circles, keeping his image in the news in a desperate hope that one day he will be back in power and can exact revenge on those that deposed him.

After all, you have to admire his taste in cuisine. Dining at McDonaldski's and getting his valuables stolen.

I never carry my passport anywhere but on my person. Got him on the front pages though, didn't it..

The man is a publicity junkie. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

O'K. So I was right: it is a Plekhanov institute. By the way, it is a serious, respectable organization. I am just wondering whether it can give a pause to at least one of khun Thaksin bashers: they like to present a man as a kind of malicious clown.

The Plekhanov institute? Probably just another institute he has managed to fool and blind with a large donation. Easy way to collect honorary degrees and other titles to keep his head properly inflated. What happened to his presentation at the IISS on March 2nd 2007? His name and picture were removed from the webpage. More recent and older addresses given by others are still shown with video along with question periods. He simply has vanished from the IISS website after giving his address named "Democracy at a crossroads". :o A decision the IISS seems to regret.

What about thinking about him as a honorable, smart man with great vision for his own country who was deposed by mediocre midgets fighting for their privileges?

Honorable. no.

He was smart, oh yeah, at surrounding himself with people who could help him break the law any way they could and foold people on a daily basis. His vision wasn't that good, he was talking of still being PM in 20 years from now but couldn't see a coup coming months ahead, you might say he was blinded by wealth and narcissism.

Why prestigious Academic institutions honor him?

Huge donations, new gymnasium or library, they haven't read much Thai news headlines or may have been given a propaganda CD of Thaksin 's scrapbook of accomplishments.

Why businessmen around the world show so much respect for him?

Name one. One who never did business with the man.

Why leading agencies want to have interviews with him?

Because he hired lobbyists to get the interviews. The are numbers for you to find to see how much he paid for lobbying. How much did he pay for interviews with journalists and airtime? They did not approach him, he approached them, the same way companies sell tampons and toilet paper, the same way oil companies buy airtime to tell you how much care they put into producing oil products while caring about the environment:rolleyes: , they buy airtime. He bought airtime, simpe as that.

Why midgets in BKK are afraid of couple of his calls to community radio stations?

Even though he said on multiple occasions that he was out of politics, he is still doing remote politics. Do you think he simply phoned in the radio show? It was previously arranged. The man keeps poking at the fire with a dynamite stick.

America, China, Japan, Singapore and now Russia. Quite a spectrum.

Well, I was also welcome in Japan, China, Thailand, Germany, France, Belgium, the U.K., Panama, Costa Rica, Barbados, Canada, the U.S., Singapore. I don't think anyone is impressed much about that, do you? .

Anyone with a plane ticket and a passport (watch out at McDonald's) can do the same.

He is now simply but a small time ousted politician who took things too far while being more concerned about his personal wealth, one man party and image rather than really caring about his country. He was always tricky and always will be.

Edited by Tony Clifton

O'K. So I was right: it is a Plekhanov institute. By the way, it is a serious, respectable organization. I am just wondering whether it can give a pause to at least one of khun Thaksin bashers: they like to present a man as a kind of malicious clown.

The Plekhanov institute? Probably just another institute he has managed to fool and blind with a large donation. Easy way to collect honorary degrees and other titles to keep his head properly inflated. What happened to his presentation at the IISS on March 2nd 2007? His name and picture were removed from the webpage. More recent and older addresses given by others are still shown with video along with question periods. He simply has vanished from the IISS website after giving his address named "Democracy at a crossroads". :o A decision the IISS seems to regret.

What about thinking about him as a honorable, smart man with great vision for his own country who was deposed by mediocre midgets fighting for their privileges?

Honorable. no.

He was smart, oh yeah, at surrounding himself with people who could help him break the law any way they could and foold people on a daily basis. His vision wasn't that good, he was talking of still being PM in 20 years from now but couldn't see a coup coming months ahead, you might say he was blinded by wealth and narcissism.

Why prestigious Academic institutions honor him?

Huge donations, new gymnasium or library, they haven't read much Thai news headlines or may have been given a propaganda CD of Thaksin 's scrapbook of accomplishments.

Why businessmen around the world show so much respect for him?

Name one. One who never did business with the man.

Why leading agencies want to have interviews with him?

Because he hired lobbyists to get the interviews. The are numbers for you to find to see how much he paid for lobbying. How much did he pay for interviews with journalists and airtime? They did not approach him, he approached them, the same way companies sell tampons and toilet paper, the same way oil companies buy airtime to tell you how much care they put into producing oil products while caring about the environment:rolleyes: , they buy airtime. He bought airtime, simpe as that.

Why midgets in BKK are afraid of couple of his calls to community radio stations?

Even though he said on multiple occasions that he was out of politics, he is still doing remote politics. Do you think he simply phoned in the radio show? It was previously arranged. The man keeps poking at the fire with a dynamite stick.

America, China, Japan, Singapore and now Russia. Quite a spectrum.

Well, I was also welcome in Japan, China, Thailand, Germany, France, Belgium, the U.K., Panama, Costa Rica, Barbados, Canada, the U.S., Singapore. I don't think anyone is impressed much about that, do you? .

Anyone with a plane ticket and a passport (watch out at McDonald's) can do the same.

He is now simply but a small time ousted politician who took things too far while being more concerned about his personal wealth, one man party and image rather than really caring about his country. He was always tricky and always will be.

taksin never goes anywhere on his own,i find it very hard to believe he could have it stolen ,he is just testing the water to see how difficult it will be to get a passport when he actually needs one :D

Ex-Thai Premier Robbed at McDonald's

Thailand's globe-trotting deposed leader, Thaksin Shinawatra, garnered an academic honor by visiting Moscow last week, but lost thousands of dollars and his passport when he stopped at a McDonald's in the city center.

Thaksin, who has been living in exile since a coup last year ousted him as prime minister, had entrusted his briefcase to an aide sitting at a nearby table as they had a meal Monday at the McDonald's restaurant on the Arbat, said his lawyer, Noppadol Pattama, in Bangkok.

When the party got up to leave, they found that Thaksin's briefcase, with his passport and about $9,200 in dollars and rubles, had been snatched, he said.

Kommersant reported Saturday that the amount of cash in the briefcase was closer to $20,000. It said the briefcase had also contained a digital video camera and a digital camera.

A woman who answered the phone at the restaurant confirmed the robbery but directed all other questions to McDonald's head office. Officials there were unavailable for comment.

Thaksin, a billionaire, was in Moscow to accept an honorary degree in science from the Plekhanov Russian Academy of Economics.

Noppadol said the Thai Embassy in Moscow had helped Thaksin, issuing him a new passport and other temporary travel documents.

A Foreign Ministry spokesman said the ministry had not received full information about the theft and as a result was not in a position to comment.

A city police spokesman said he could not immediately comment on the case.

The Thai Embassy could not immediately be reached for comment.

Thaksin made a fortune in the telecoms business before entering politics, and has been living the life of an idle billionaire since losing his post, traveling between a residence in London and various countries in Asia. He is currently seeking to buy the English football team Manchester City.

- Associated Press

Maybe he went to Russia to drum up support from the Mafia who are a force to be reckoned with now in Thailand.

For someone who knows Russia as well as I do, it is absolutely not surprising that he was robbed. Surely, he was an object of special attention from local mafia the moment he stepped on sacred Russian land. Thus, I do not believe that it is something self-organized.

By the way " Prekanov institute" should be "Plekhanov institute" I believe . To give you the idea that I know what I am talking about.

Very funny, Russian mafia chasing Thaksin...they operates with oil, gas, diamonds and gold...give me a break with your theories. Erunda:)

You talk as if mafia is something monolite in Russia. It is absolutely not the case. Some do oil, some gold, some diamonds, some watch wealthy people coming to Russia. If you are trying to say that this theft was purely accidental, well, this is erunda (nonsensense).

A2006092136C.jpg

Kommersant

- Kommersant (Russia)

www.tigerzoo.com

Welcome to Sriracha tigerzoo.

If you ever visited the place, you should know that it has other inhabitants beyond tigers...

A2006092136C.jpg

Kommersant

- Kommersant (Russia)

www.tigerzoo.com

Welcome to Sriracha tigerzoo.

If you ever visited the place, you should know that it has other inhabitants beyond tigers...

oh... I know the place you mean now...

You're talking about the Sriracha Tiger Parts/Bile Production Center, In-Breeding Farm, Tiger Death Pit & Freak Show Company, Ltd.

.... it's not a zoo. They just call themselves that because it's a shorter title than the real business they run.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1034576

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...&pid=979294

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...&pid=764508

Not sure what these tigers have to do with Thaksin.... other than their dental similarities... but ok.

Edited by sriracha john

Very harsh words about the man who led his party to three election wins (twice by overwhelming majority). I am not going to argue with you,

cause obviously you made up your mind and will not change your opinion. Time will tell who was right and I think junta is running out of time...

It is probably very difficult and unpleasant to live in the world of Tony Clifton where

everything and everybody can be bought. Well, I live in a different world...

Edited by mumbu

Very harsh words about the man who led his party to three election wins (twice by overwhelming majority). I am not going to argue with you,

cause obviously you made up your mind and will not change your opinion. Time will tell who was right and I think junta is running out of time...

It is probably very difficult and unpleasant to live in the world of Tony Clifton where

Harsh words about Thaksin??? Mumbu Go back to about July last year and read what Thaksin had to say about you in one of his blanket one size fits all insults, then tell me if you still feel the same. Wonderful words coming from a head of state mind you.

Edited by John K

Harsh words about Thaksin??? Mumbu Go back to about July last year and read what Thaksin had to say about you in one of his blanket one size fits all insults, then tell me if you still feel the same. Wonderful words coming from a head of state mind you.

Thaksin talked about Mumbu?

QUOTE(mumbu @ 2007-05-26 06:41:08) *

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Honorable?" Look at the charges against him.

"Great Vision for his country?" Yes, as long as he was able to make billions of baht for himself, his family and his corrupt cronies.

"Mediocre midgets?" The coup was accepted by a majority of Thais as an inevitable end to 5 years of his pillaging the economy, making deals with other countries,particularly Burma, to enrich himself.

The "midgets" merely took him out to prevent further social and financial damage.

"Mediocre"..... yes, they have been less than spectacular in nailing him!

"Prestigious Academic institutions"? Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Oxford, Cambridge, M.I.T. etc etc.

No, just minor academic institutions and honorary degrees.

"Businessmen respect him" ? They love his money. As for respect.......I doubt it.

As for his globetrotting travels, a desperate man going round in circles, keeping his image in the news in a desperate hope that one day he will be back in power and can exact revenge on those that deposed him.

After all, you have to admire his taste in cuisine. Dining at McDonaldski's and getting his valuables stolen.

I never carry my passport anywhere but on my person. Got him on the front pages though, didn't it..

The man is a publicity junkie. :o

After so much effort, there are no substantial charges against him.

(Yes, they tried very hard to nail him as you say but no substantial results as you admit).

I saw an interview with Mark Faber on CNBC, where he very respectfully talked about khun Thaksin. Now, in fact, I never saw anybody from business world (outside Thailand) ever spoken negatively about khun Thaksin. The reason why I brought about the name of Mark Faber is because he is a very well known investor (and world known book writer) based in Thailand. By the way, his interview was after the coup.

If I were you, I would not speak on behalf of Thai people. Thai people

did not have their say yet about the coup.

Very harsh words about the man who led his party to three election wins (twice by overwhelming majority).

My Thai family are poor farmers. They have always been poor. They have never had access to acceptable medical services or care. They have never had the chance to acquire an education of a reasonable standard. They have always been treated with contempt by the 'authorities'. Several of them confided in me that they thought all politicians were crooks, and Thaksin was probably the worst that they had had to endure. I asked who they would vote for in the coming election. TRT they all said. Why? Because I get 200 baht. The others give nothing.

I doubt that Thaksin will get his just deserts since evidence will not be forthcoming or at least be made readily available. Those who could testify will not on the grounds that they would incriminate themselves. A bit like straining diarrhoea through a sock.

Very harsh words about the man who led his party to three election wins (twice by overwhelming majority).

My Thai family are poor farmers. They have always been poor. They have never had access to acceptable medical services or care. They have never had the chance to acquire an education of a reasonable standard. They have always been treated with contempt by the 'authorities'. Several of them confided in me that they thought all politicians were crooks, and Thaksin was probably the worst that they had had to endure. I asked who they would vote for in the coming election. TRT they all said. Why? Because I get 200 baht. The others give nothing.

I doubt that Thaksin will get his just deserts since evidence will not be forthcoming or at least be made readily available. Those who could testify will not on the grounds that they would incriminate themselves. A bit like straining diarrhoea through a sock.

" Among the staunch Tai Rak Thai supporters are 80,000 taxi drivers and about 100,000 motocycle taxi drivers..."

The CNS spokesman said.

The Nation 2007-05-29

I am with CNS spokesman on that one. Surely, he has no reason to exaggerate the support THAI Rak THAI party still has.

A2006092136C.jpg

Kommersant

Due to my preconceptions, maybe I am framing this wrong, but that really looks like the photo of a man who doesn't give a shit.

My Thai family are poor farmers. They have always been poor. They have never had access to acceptable medical services or care. They have never had the chance to acquire an education of a reasonable standard. They have always been treated with contempt by the 'authorities'. Several of them confided in me that they thought all politicians were crooks, and Thaksin was probably the worst that they had had to endure.

It would be interesting to know why your Thai family thinks that Thaksin was the worst politician that they had to endure.Can you explain given that their view is at odds with most farming families outside the South? I'm sure you have some corroborative background and are not just projecting your own distaste for Thaksin.

It would be interesting to know why your Thai family thinks that Thaksin was the worst politician that they had to endure.Can you explain given that their view is at odds with most farming families outside the South? I'm sure you have some corroborative background and are not just projecting your own distaste for Thaksin.

Can you explain how you know what the views of farming families outside the South are? Are you not aware of the 'Rent a Crowd' tactics of Thaksin and his cohorts? Have you considered the probable results of raising your head above the political parapet in Thailand?

Can you explain how you know what the views of farming families outside the South are? Are you not aware of the 'Rent a Crowd' tactics of Thaksin and his cohorts? Have you considered the probable results of raising your head above the political parapet in Thailand?

Even the opponents of Thaksin concede that he had widespread support in the rural population, although they would question the way this support was obtained.In practice this support for Thaksin could also be found in the urban lower middle and working classes.Nevertheless you seem to be saying that this was obtained by Thaksin financed mobs, perhaps threatening those who had different opinions.I'm not for a moment suggesting the TRT didn't have a thuggish presence in some places, but it's absurd to suggest that that strong arm tactics had a major influence on the rural vote.

I am afraid your version of the rural majority's view is rather eccentric and would not be supported by any detailed analysis of opinion.Having said that if your Thai family could see through Thaksin's rather cynical strategy, then good for them but it's fanciful to think this reflects the majority perception in the countryside (leaving aside traditional Democrat strongholds).