Life in the UK Tests

Admin , Please move to the correct area if this is the incorrect place

Last week my wife sat a Life in the UK test over in Newcastle 

After the test, My wife asked if she had passed or not and she was told that the results would be emailed to her and that she had to log into her account to find out if she passed or not.

The last 2 times she had sat her test over in Cumbria, She was given a form telling her the subjects that she failed on and the number of correct questions that she gave with a percentage 

The lady running the test told the wife that she needed to study the Government and the law since she done well on the others 

This time we got nothing, My wife failed the test with no information given , So she might have got all the questions wrong or 7 questions wrong but failed either way.

I wrote to the PSI asking for the details on the exam on which areas we failed and how many correct/incorrect answers and i got the following email

Thank you for your enquiry to PSI regarding your results 

I am afraid we do not offer a breakdown of correct and incorrect questions answered or offer a score in percentages in your test. We do this is due to protect the integrity of the test and to prevent publication of the answers 

Please be aware that the test questions are always random and the percentage score can differ each time. therefore we will not be able to send you a breakdown of your test scores.

Due to the randomness of this test We would advise to re visit the study material and to re book. I am very sorry you have not passed your test this time but wish you all the best for the future.

I trust that the information above has helped to resolve your enquiry. Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Yours sincerely,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have thought under the freedom of information , The results should have been given to my wife , Yes i understand, Not the questions that she got wrong , But a percentage on how she done.

With living on the west coast of the UK, It means a 200 mile round trip to sit an exam since their is nothing now over in Cumbria.

Fingers crossed for the next time

Yes I can confirm that that is the procedure now. My wife took the test last year and failed but took it again one week later and passed. Like your wife she had no idea how well she had done the first time. Whatever the reason for failing however it is just a question of practice practice and more practice. Having a good memory helps as well.

• Like 1

Its crazy the new rules "We do this is due to protect the integrity of the test and to prevent publication of the answers "   All these mock tests that you do on line will give you the answers, Its about remembering the answers .

Honestly, Its more down to luck, I am rubbish at history , She was asked about the battle of hastings and Stonehenge, Your either into history or your not.

I would hate to have to learn about the history of Thailand and pass a exam thats all in Thai. 

The people who do come to the UK and sit these Exams, I take my hat of to them. 

• Like 1

hastings battle a single date so just memory. stonehenge built in phases between 2800bc and 2200 bc, might be just memorizing date range ?

history vital to citizenship so the basics must be learned but evolution of democracy and western ideas is important not dates ….thats what gets history its bad rep. as easy or boring…….

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

hastings battle a single date so just memory. stonehenge built in phases between 2800bc and 2200 bc, might be just memorizing date range ?

history vital to citizenship so the basics must be learned but evolution of democracy and western ideas is important not dates ….thats what gets history its bad rep. as easy or boring…….

I went through all the practice sessions with my Thai wife when she was studying for the life in the UK test and it is basically just a pub quiz. There is nothing in terms of learning about the evolution of democracy and western ideas. It is simply a memory test  and my wife had to learn the answers to 384 questions to take the test. The test is 24 questions and the applicant has to get 18 correct. So there is a huge amount of work for I suspect very little return.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How many times can the test be taken and failed before LTR is refused and you have to leave the UK?

There is no actual limit to the number of times that the test can be taken as it is only required for citizenship or ILR. If someone has FLR and really cannot pass the test then they can,I believe, simply apply for another FLR Visa.An expensive way to go obviously but at least could still stay in the UK.

• 2 months later...

The Life In the UK Test is a pile of nonsense dreamt up by the Government to generate CASH. It does that very well as I read that the first time pass rate is only about 50%. The Government supposedly created it to help people "integrate into UK society". Those who come here without the need to sit such a test from  EU countries, some of whom speak no English appear to have "integrated" without the help of this test, which the Government conveniently never mention.  I might as well continue whinging while I'm here..........B1 English Test now £175 - another rip-off. My wife passed and was in there half an hour.  ILR Visa fee now £2400, but an FLR visa now costs MORE when you add in an NHS charge of £1560 for 33 months????. MORE ?? It costs more to stay for 33 months than for another 50 years??????

Edited by Rob180