Credit Card Safety

CMMCB

A Thai friend noticed that the check-out sales-person at one of the big supermarkets in CM was looking at the back of his credit card and making a note of his 3-digit security number. He complained and the note was destroyed, but he didn't take further action. Maybe keep an eye out for this when you're paying your bills.

Or maybe don't use credit cards at all until mega companies like Visa come up with the most basic of security. (Requiring you to enter a personal code before the transaction goes through, for example)

How hard would that be?

Why aren't they doing it? If I look at your credit card for 4 seconds then I can use the info to order up a storm off the internet.. Is that insane or what? Where else would such non-existing security be tolerated?

Or maybe don't use credit cards at all until mega companies like Visa come up with the most basic of security. (Requiring you to enter a personal code before the transaction goes through, for example)

How hard would that be?

Why aren't they doing it? If I look at your credit card for 4 seconds then I can use the info to order up a storm off the internet.. Is that insane or what? Where else would such non-existing security be tolerated?

Well, I'd say the US, UK, to start.. To order off the internet, you need at least the current billing address, which ain't that easy to get.

The 3 digit number is needed for manual charging, ie you telephone for the authorisation code

With the automatic machines at big places like Big C etc they should be able to get authorisation automatically from the bank.

However if they require the code they should be punching it straight in rather than making a note of it.

A Thai friend noticed that the check-out sales-person at one of the big supermarkets in CM was looking at the back of his credit card and making a note of his 3-digit security number. He complained and the note was destroyed, but he didn't take further action.

Good for him! My bf refuses to get a credit card, as I've scared him with too many stories from the U.S.

How hard would that be?

I bank with Nationwide.They have advised me that they are introducing "Visa Approved" which will entail using a further 4 digit number when using over the internet and I think at retail outlets. My next card will have this facility they tell me.

• 3 weeks later...
On the back of mine I wrote in big black print, "PHOTO ID REQUIRED", not that that would help with the internet, but if I lost my wallet it might stop the fraud.

I do the same on my card, and that works in the states--no one checks the signature anyway.

At Rimping and Lotus, they freak out when they see that. Apparently my signature on the receipt doesn't match my "signature" on the card. Eventually, they let me go. I guess the fix is to start signing the receipt with "Photo ID Required".

Citibank has long offered credit card numbers for single internet transactions to protect its customers.

Citibank where. Here, the US, or ?

I had heard of this (numbers for "one off" internet use) and I would think that this is perhaps the most secure system that you could have.

As I noted I had heard of it but never found out who had the facility available.

The good news is that some jurisdictions limit the amount of liability for the cardholder.Several Canadian provinces and US states set it at $50. Got rid of my euorpean card so I don't know what the score is there. My only fraud occurred 3 months ago and Visa reversed everything. Check your issuing jurisdiction rules.