Buying An Elephant

epicstuff

Does anyone know anything about buying an elephant. Or preferably saving one.

( thankfully I've never seen a baby elephant at Chakachak market) there must be some conviscated elephants from these bastards that walk em round the streets, half staved, so as to sell overpriced rotten bannanas. or an injured one from over work or accident. And I'm sure they're always complaining about overcrowding and lack of finance at the elphant sancturies.

What do they cost ? Is some kind of licence required? How long does it take to train an elephant to do light work on land ( not washing up ). or take tourist on a stroll up a hill.? How long does it take for an elephant to accept a new owner? Do they need a partner to prevent loneliness ie would I need to get 2?

Strikes me as being an exellent Animal to take care of , useful, intellegent and a great companion; compared to my girlfriend anyway.

Who hasn't wanted to have there own pet elephant, but why not?

I'm sure there must be some downside, otherwise everyone would have one!!!

Any good links on taking care of an elephant anyone???

Edited by epicstuff

Hmmmmmm Male elephants can be agressive when in musk I read, the food bill would be huge I would imagine but it sure would beat the "average" pet, sorry cant help more than that except maybe "Google" about elephants. Beautiful things, my wifes terrified of them.

goto Pai and speak to some of the people at the elephant camps there.

there are a few new elephants brought in the last few years (including a baby one)

and they will know the hows of how to purchase.

Good info sources, try Joys, Thoms and Twins

( thankfully I've never seen a baby elephant at Chakachak market) there must be some conviscated elephants from these bastards that walk em round the streets, half staved, so as to sell overpriced rotten bannanas. or an injured one from over work or accident. And I'm sure they're always complaining about overcrowding and lack of finance at the elphant sancturies.

What do they cost ? Is some kind of licence required? How long does it take to train an elephant to do light work on land ( not washing up ). or take tourist on a stroll up a hill.? How long does it take for an elephant to accept a new owner? Do they need a partner to prevent loneliness ie would I need to get 2?

Strikes me as being an exellent Animal to take care of , useful, intellegent and a great companion; compared to my girlfriend anyway.

I owned an elephant in Thailand for about 18 years. My father-inlaw has owned elephants in Thailand for decades.

As for costs, well that depends on many things such as age, disposition, gait, gender, and yes, even personality. We finally sold our female and her young female offspring for around B600,000. Your mileage may vary as well as trunk space. And as you note, there are many unemployed elephants so prices might have fallen over the past few years.

Yes, there is an ownership deed that should be registered at your local Amphoe office.

Elephants do need to be trained and training can start around 3 to 4 years of age. But the elephant will need an independent Mahout (kwaan chaang) even before then. A mahout runs anywhere from B4,000 to B6,000 a month. As an owner, you are quite irrelevent to the animal. Unless of course you wish to become the mahout and spend half of each day caring, washing, and feeding your charge.

Elephants are very social animals and do not function very well living solitary lives, especially females. And there are many downsides: medical costs; transportation costs; damage costs after pachyderm grazes in your neighbors fields; and unless you live in a forested area, food costs are indeed rather high. If you have a male, then there are also security costs once it develops tusks.

They are highly intelligent and who knows how they compare to your favorite lass. And the tips of their trunk are surprisingly sensitive. For a select few, they maybe a viable alternative. So if you are a well heeled neo-sahib with some 10 rai of land, then it might be doable.

get in touch with Milton Bentley...he has a lot of experience with elephants and I am sure he will be able to assist you in what you need to know...you will nomally find him lurking on the Chiang Mai forum

Edited by ThaiPauly

Beautiful creatures, elephants. First time I was in Pattaya, in 2001, a mahout was leading a baby elephant - asking tourists to buy some bananas for 20 baht to feed the elephant. Somebody else was with him, a lady photographer who would take you picture with her Polaroid camera and sell you a picture of you feeding the elephant for 100 baht. The picture came in a nice little frame.

Yours truly was very merry (drunk, if the truth be known!) and wanting to practice my (very limited) Thai.

I thought I was saying: 'yes, I will buy some bananas and get my photo taken.' What the mahout thought I said was: 'yes, I will buy your elephant and get my photo taken.'

I still remember the moment the mahout handed me the lead to the elephant and started to walk away.

My BF said to me 'why did you buy an elephant? We live on 13th floor in condo!'

I had to do some fast talking to convince BF and mahout I did not want to buy the elephant - only to feed it.

Peter

:o:D wonder if you have to pick up their crap...........in doggy bags :D:D have fun :D:bah:

I owned an elephant in Thailand for about 18 years. My father-inlaw has owned elephants in Thailand for decades.

As for costs, well that depends on many things such as age, disposition, gait, gender, and yes, even personality. We finally sold our female and her young female offspring for around B600,000. Your mileage may vary as well as trunk space. And as you note, there are many unemployed elephants so prices might have fallen over the past few years.

Yes, there is an ownership deed that should be registered at your local Amphoe office.

Elephants do need to be trained and training can start around 3 to 4 years of age. But the elephant will need an independent Mahout (kwaan chaang) even before then. A mahout runs anywhere from B4,000 to B6,000 a month. As an owner, you are quite irrelevent to the animal. Unless of course you wish to become the mahout and spend half of each day caring, washing, and feeding your charge.

Elephants are very social animals and do not function very well living solitary lives, especially females. And there are many downsides: medical costs; transportation costs; damage costs after pachyderm grazes in your neighbors fields; and unless you live in a forested area, food costs are indeed rather high. If you have a male, then there are also security costs once it develops tusks.

They are highly intelligent and who knows how they compare to your favorite lass. And the tips of their trunk are surprisingly sensitive. For a select few, they maybe a viable alternative. So if you are a well heeled neo-sahib with some 10 rai of land, then it might be doable.

wow ,really that much for 1 female elephant and a baby.... I had no Idea they were that expensive. you certainly know how to put someone off. Maybe an orphan elephant might be cheaper.

I have 50 rai of jungle that I thought an elephant might be a good investment on, easier to get to the land by elephant than by bike thats for sure. save me money building a road for a while. And damned useful for dragging logs about.

Are they like horses in the respect that the more trained and large they get the more valueble they get,? ie an appreciating asset? that and the breeding aspect could mean they still could be a good investment; although as I said already so much more than I imagined. maybe I should think about getting a JCB instead.

An elephant would be cool though.

Hmmmmmm Male elephants can be agressive when in musk I read, the food bill would be huge I would imagine but it sure would beat the "average" pet, sorry cant help more than that except maybe "Google" about elephants. Beautiful things, my wifes terrified of them.

Food costs are less than you'd think actually. Last time i was at Koh Chang we went to the elephant trekking place (didn't actually ride them but just like to go and feed some bananas).

We asked one of the girls working there how much the elephants cost in food everyday. I can't remember the exact number, but just remember being shocked as it was much lower than i thought it would be.

Seeing as the elephants seem to mostly eat some kind of leaves from the local jungle.

If you took the elephant out of it's natural surroundings then i assume it would probably cost alot more if you have to transport the food from a distance.

wow ,really that much for 1 female elephant and a baby.... I had no Idea they were that expensive. you certainly know how to put someone off. Maybe an orphan elephant might be cheaper.

I have 50 rai of jungle that I thought an elephant might be a good investment on, easier to get to the land by elephant than by bike thats for sure. save me money building a road for a while. And damned useful for dragging logs about.

Are they like horses in the respect that the more trained and large they get the more valueble they get,? ie an appreciating asset? that and the breeding aspect could mean they still could be a good investment; although as I said already so much more than I imagined. maybe I should think about getting a JCB instead.

An elephant would be cool though.

Elephants are not cheap and ownership has become more centralized amongst the owners of the major elephant camps as compared to say 20 years ago when individuals rented them out to these camps. It is just that the cost of the camps and bringing food into the camps no longer makes it economical to rent the animals from outside owners, although many of the smaller camps do rent them.

They do not appreciate in value per se, although they are more valuable during their prime working years, around 20 to 40, than when still young or getting old. The extra value comes from females giving birth or from males by selling their tusks. But the main concern is that there is less traditional work available in the forests and only so much work available in the tourist market. I did not want to sell my elephants, but finding them work was becoming an issue, and many of the smaller elephant camps are, to be polite, just not well managed, and the animals suffer.

If you have 50 rai, then indeed an elephant may be an option, but you would have to hire a Mahout, usually either Karen or Suai, full time and develop a relationship with other professionals, such as a vet. And remember, although great for hauling logs, riding an elephant is pretty much a once in a lifetime experience. Hanging out with elephants never gets old. From an investment standpoint, I doubt you will ever see a profit.

Beautiful creatures, elephants. First time I was in Pattaya, in 2001, a mahout was leading a baby elephant - asking tourists to buy some bananas for 20 baht to feed the elephant. Somebody else was with him, a lady photographer who would take you picture with her Polaroid camera and sell you a picture of you feeding the elephant for 100 baht. The picture came in a nice little frame.

Yours truly was very merry (drunk, if the truth be known!) and wanting to practice my (very limited) Thai.

I thought I was saying: 'yes, I will buy some bananas and get my photo taken.' What the mahout thought I said was: 'yes, I will buy your elephant and get my photo taken.'

I still remember the moment the mahout handed me the lead to the elephant and started to walk away.

My BF said to me 'why did you buy an elephant? We live on 13th floor in condo!'

I had to do some fast talking to convince BF and mahout I did not want to buy the elephant - only to feed it.

Peter

do u still hv the elephant in your condo? hahahahahahahahaahahahahaha!!!!!!

:o:D:D

Since I love animals and have owned or worked in businesses related to animals for some part of my life, I thought Chiang Mai would be a good place to come so that I could get the opportunity to maybe work with elephants. I went to and did the mahout training thing at the Elephant Conservation Center, in Lampang twice... (I think that is the name but maybe not exactly the correct name.)

From what I learned, everything Johpa said is correct.

Elephants are very difficult to just start working with, it seems to take a real lifetime devoted to them to know a lot about them, and since they are very dangerous, not knowing everything can be fatal to your health. Also, they don't seem to make good pets, in the sense that the mahout will know everything about them, because they spend almost every minute of their life with them, and the elephants don't just respond too much to a nice pet and some food treats. They know their owner as the mahout, know that guy's voice, respond only to them, etc. Yes, they are trained to do certain commands but I am not sure that they will just do them if anyone comes and gives those commands, like a horse usually will with any reasonable horse person.

(I don't know because I always had the real mahout with me, to back me up if I didn't ask for something correctly, or to give authority, etc. Yes, the elephant answered to leg commands, but probably didn't understand the things I was taught for 5 minutes to say in Thai. Yes, I could control the elephant by myself for simple things, but if he had decided to misbehave, surely not.)

Also, there were things I was surprised about, in the way they train elephants, the way the mahout stays the dominant being, that I could just not agree with, and would not enjoy being part of if I owned an elephant. I think there are probably other ways to train them, a more positive way, this feeling is only based on what I know about training and owning horses, and maybe is not relevant or practical at all. But I do know that I felt like crying due to the basic morning routine the mahouts put the elephants through in order to stay dominant. And I think this is probably how most places in the world treat elephants, and have no idea that my ideas would work, only that they work with horses (who don't really have the same personality as elephants, just that they are the most similar things I worked with.)

However unless you get an elephant as a baby, and DON'T get a traditional mahout, your elephant will be trained this way, and I am not sure you could change much, although it would be interesting to try, you might end up dead. But I am sure you could find out this info from some other elephant experts as I am certainly not one, but must not be the first person who has my feelings about it.

I think if you have the land, the money to feed, medicate and all, and the time to invest, and most important after the land, if you have the interest to check it out ... why not? But consider your commitment to this animal that can live maybe 80-90 years, that you may not be able to find a home for if you don't like it, even if you give it away, and how you will find a mahout if the one you have dies or leaves, because I am sure you don't want this job.

There is a woman around Chiang Mai who has a lot of elephants she has bought from mahouts or that have been donated to her because of illness or disability. I forgot her name, but she has a charity here, has been on National Geo and a bunch of programs. If you look on the internet for elephants around CM, hers will come up. She could help you find a mahout who is looking for a new job or new owner probably.

Anyway, good luck.