Taskbar/explorer Hangs

tigerbeer

I have this weird problem with my computer. All of a sudden the taskbar hangs. Everything else works but you when you get to Start button, it does not work. And realised that whenever my wife plays her series thats downloaded onto the computer, after that, this happens.

It hangs for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes and then able to shut down safely, reboot and its ok. Anyone has same problem? Some problems cause by codecs loaded during the playing of the video? please help, this is driving me crazy.

thanks..

A couple of thoughts here. I assume you are running a Windows OS. If that's correct, when things go back to 'normal,' go to Start -> Run and type in msconfig and click on OK. Then click on the top right tab, which is Startup.

Check to see which programmes are scheduled to load when you start your machine. Untick all but the esential ones - usually just your anti-virus programme.

While you are having the problem of your taskbar 'hanging' or not responding, use the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys at the same time. Under the Processes tab, check to see what proceses are running. Usually there are number which are not necessary. Some you can not close as they are critical to the running of your OS.

Another though is to edit your Registry. Do not attempt this if you are 100% sure of what you are doing. I have found a useful programme to be Registry Mechanic.

Finally - fill your computer with as much RAM as you can afford. OS these days are very memory hungry.

Peter