Entry procedure foreign dependents of Non Imm O retirement visa holder

Dependents are unable to piggyback on first 90 days of Non Imm O holder visa, only on the 12 month retirement extension.  Could the dependents instead enter on tourist visa and convert that to Non O in country, and thereafter piggyback on Retiree, assuming retiree has extended 90 day before the dependent's tourist visas expire. Otherwise the dependent have to wait outside Thailand until 12 month retiree extension obtained?

Edited by hapark

Immigration does not issue non-o visas for family members of a person on a extension of stay based upon retirement.

At this time most embassies and official consulates will not issue a non-o visa for family members unless a person is on a non-b visa or extension based upon working and etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration does not issue non-o visas for family members of a person on a extension of stay based upon retirement.

At this time most embassies and official consulates will not issue a non-o visa for family members unless a person is on a non-b visa or extension based upon working and etc.

Can you confirm where you saw this information that most overseas Thai embassies and official consulates are not issuing non-o visa for dependent spouse and children of retiree on non-O  12 month extension?  Never heard this before, and know some in this situation who have done it.

Edited by hapark

10 minutes ago, hapark said:

Can you confirm where you saw this information that most overseas Thai embassies and official consulates are not issuing non-o visa for dependent spouse and children of retiree on non-O  12 month extension?  Never heard this before, and know some in this situation who have done it.

I have seen many reports of the extension application being denied since the covid 19 restrictions went into effect.

This from a embassy website. Note the ones for family members and nonte of them are for retirement. 

image.png.f5ea354625a44b26a87b503693ac9385.png

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

On 2/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have seen many reports of the extension application being denied since the covid 19 restrictions went into effect.

This from a embassy website. Note the ones for family members and nonte of them are for retirement. 

Thank you for this information.  This seems like the dependant foreign spouse and children of foreign retiree in Thailand can no longer "piggyback" as a dependant on the father retirement visa?  That is a real game changer for many.

Edited by hapark

6 minutes ago, hapark said:

Thank you for this information.  This seems like the dependant foreign spouse and children of foreign retiree in Thailand can no longer "piggyback" as a dependant on the father retirement visa?  That is a real game changer for many.

I suggest you contact the embassy or official consulate where you applying for the visa about it. Some may still do them.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:57 PM, ubonjoe said:

I suggest you contact the embassy or official consulate where you applying for the visa about it. Some may still do them.

The only solution that comes to mind is some sort of Elite family visa but is fairly expensive

On 2/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, ubonjoe said:

Ubonjoe, any idea whether this was an announced change of policy (due to covid), and where to find more information? Or was this an re-interpretation of existing rules with different consulates having different rules. 

Any advice from all welcome.

Edited by hapark

32 minutes ago, hapark said:

Ubonjoe, any idea whether this was an announced change of policy (due to covid), and where to find more information? Or was this an re-interpretation of existing rules with different consulates having different rules. 

It started back 2020 when they first started allowing entries for more categories for entries to the country.

As I have advised people before is to check with the embassy or official consulate about getting the visa.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It started back 2020 when they first started allowing entries for more categories for entries to the country.

As I have advised people before is to check with the embassy or official consulate about getting the visa.

Thank you for the sound advice.  A small technicality, but I wonder if it would make any difference if the retiree is on a retirement extension to an originally issued non-B visa (reason for extension changed from employment to retire).  I still see some consulates are still asking for a valid work permit, so maybe the dependents still could not apply in such a case?

29 minutes ago, hapark said:

Thank you for the sound advice.  A small technicality, but I wonder if it would make any difference if the retiree is on a retirement extension to an originally issued non-B visa (reason for extension changed from employment to retire).  I still see some consulates are still asking for a valid work permit, so maybe the dependents still could not apply in such a case?

They would want to see a copy of your extension stamp since you non-b visa has expired.

As I wrote it would be best to contact the embassy about the visa for your wife.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 2:29 PM, ubonjoe said:

Hello,

Would it be possible for dependants to enter on a tourist visa and then do a TM86 to change to

non-imm O, once in country, based on being dependants to Non-Imm O 12 month extension holding retiree?

Thank you for advice

24 minutes ago, hapark said:

Would it be possible for dependants to enter on a tourist visa and then do a TM86 to change to

non-imm O, once in country, based on being dependants to Non-Imm O 12 month extension holding retiree?

Immigration does not have non-o visa for a family member of a person on a extension based upon retirement on its list for the visas. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

I have read report of people getting a non-o with the help of an agent.