Enforcement Of 90-day Reporting

Dr. Pat, lopburi 3, what about number six on the TM6 regarding tax clearance.

Can anyone read Thai and let us know what an accurate translation of this #6 is.

It makes no sense, that a retiree must provide a tax clearance certificate when he is forbidden to earn income while in Thailand.

Even when reading the translation in the conjunctive, is makes no sense unless you assume that that negative in English is actually a positive in Thai, thus those earning income and staying over 90 days in Thailand have to have a tax clearance?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Pat, lopburi 3, what about number six on the TM6 regarding tax clearance.

Can anyone read Thai and let us know what an accurate translation of this #6 is.

It makes no sense, that a retiree must provide a tax clearance certificate when he is forbidden to earn income while in Thailand.

Even when reading the translation in the conjunctive, is makes no sense unless you assume that that negative in English is actually a positive in Thai, thus those earning income and staying over 90 days in Thailand have to have a tax clearance?

Don't worry about it. :o They stopped enforcing it about 15 years ago. But if we talk too much they may start again. It was more trouble for everyone than it was worth. Think the US had, or has, some such thing called ? (something that reminds me of ship travel) to try and catch those skipping on tax payments.

The note in room 401 stating the possibility of one week before and after the due date was still there when I reported in May 2004 and somehow I have the feeling that it will still be there when I report next time on August 2.

It has been confirmed on other boards that the official policy has not changed and that the poster who was fined was unfortunate. It remains plus/minus 7 days.

• 1 month later...

I have just got a new visa and asked the officer about this. She told me not to worry about it unless I plan to leave the country in the next year. If I don't report and leave the country I may be fined 2000baht. this is from the horse's mouth.

When the officer at the desk tells me this, why bother, but I may do so anyway as it isn't any real hassle. I have never done it before and been allright.

She was very friendly and asking about my family and where I stayed in the country.

I have just got a new visa and asked the officer about this. She told me not to worry about it unless I plan to leave the country in the next year. If I don't report and leave the country I may be fined 2000baht. this is from the horse's mouth.

When the officer at the desk tells me this, why bother,

What does it say in paragraph 5 on the departure card in your passport? It says you must report every 90 days - so do it every 85 days, just to be sure.

Why bother? - you may have met a very nice, helpful, friendly immigration lady. But they are inconsistent. Maybe next month she'll be working in a 7-11... If you do what the rules say, you'll be 100% OK. Why take a chance? Maybe next year you'll meet a normal "rules are rules" officer? Not worth the risk to me - I can afford it, but don't like those nasty "90 day fine" stamps they put in your passport. I've got just one and don't want any more :o

but I may do so anyway as it isn't any real hassle. I have never done it before and been allright. She was very friendly and asking about my family and where I stayed in the country.

I can understand people who live miles from an immigration office for not doing it, but I think you can do the reporting at a police station too - and there must be one fairly close to everyone.

If you leave the country then no-one will notice that ou have not reported,

it is when you stay and then need some service from the Immigration office that the problem arises.

Better to report every 90 days anyway. As stated, the local police station will suffice.

Sounds like your horse had it's mouth at the wrong end.

If you leave the country then no-one will notice that ou have not reported,

it is when you stay and then need some service from the Immigration office that the problem arises.

Better to report every 90 days anyway. As stated, the local police station will suffice.

Sounds like your horse had it's mouth at the wrong end.

Might also want to read the notice http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/ as to the fine being 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day. My advise would be to get on track now as it might be a lot more costly later.

Seems like a lot of good information concerning the 90 day reporting (well, most of it anyway). I reside far from Bangkok or other immigration office, therefor I am most interested in the "filing by mail". From the previous posts, I think I am now quite clear on the procedure, addresses, etc. I have one furthur question. I live in a "small" village and the post delivery here is terrible, at best. I generally get no letters unless EMS or registered mail is used. Doesn't matter whether the address is in Thai or English. So, for the "self-addressed stamped" envelope for the return of the stamped 90 day form from immigration, is there a way to do this using some kind of EMS/Registered letter. :o

Seems like a lot of good information concerning the 90 day reporting (well, most of it anyway). I reside far from Bangkok or other immigration office, therefor I am most interested in the "filing by mail". From the previous posts, I think I am now quite clear on the procedure, addresses, etc. I have one furthur question. I live in a "small" village and the post delivery here is terrible, at best. I generally get no letters unless EMS or registered mail is used. Doesn't matter whether the address is in Thai or English. So, for the "self-addressed stamped" envelope for the return of the stamped 90 day form from immigration, is there a way to do this using some kind of EMS/Registered letter. :o

I don't believe you could do it registered as you need to be there to register but perhaps EMS has an option that could be used. But perhaps the fact that it is a letter coming form "Immigration Police" would get it delivered.

If your service is that bad I might be tempted to go on vacation every 90 days to someplace that has an immigration office; or talk with local police and see if they can help.

Seems like a lot of good information concerning the 90 day reporting (well, most of it anyway).  I reside far from Bangkok or other immigration office, therefor I am most interested in the "filing by mail".  From the previous posts, I think I am now quite clear on the procedure, addresses, etc.  I have one furthur question.  I live in a "small" village and the post delivery here is terrible, at best.  I generally get no letters unless EMS or registered mail is used.  Doesn't matter whether the address is in Thai or English.  So, for the "self-addressed stamped" envelope for the return of the stamped 90 day form from immigration, is there a way to do this using some kind of EMS/Registered letter. :o

I don't believe you could do it registered as you need to be there to register but perhaps EMS has an option that could be used. But perhaps the fact that it is a letter coming form "Immigration Police" would get it delivered.

If your service is that bad I might be tempted to go on vacation every 90 days to someplace that has an immigration office; or talk with local police and see if they can help.

As has been mentioned here before, you don't need to actually go to immigration, and, in fact, immigration does encourage you to register at your local PD if you are not local to an immigration office. Never done it myself, but a neighbor has, anf his local PD just gave him a slip of paper confirming he made the report. He said is was much easier than going into immigration.

undefinedAs has been mentioned here before, you don't need to actually go to immigration, and, in fact, immigration does encourage you to register at your local PD if you are not local to an immigration office. Never done it myself, but a neighbor has, anf his local PD just gave him a slip of paper confirming he made the report. He said is was much easier than going into immigration.
I guess I would be concerned about validity the piece of paper from the local police department verifying my address. The Thai Immigration Web site makes no mention of doing it this way and the TM Departure card in the passport specifically says "notify...the Immigration Office".
undefinedIf your service is that bad I might be tempted to go on vacation every 90 days to someplace that has an immigration office

It would certainly be much easier for me to report to the local Police Department for the 90 day thing. However, I already had to go there with the "Village Headman" and my wife to verify my address, etc. for my "marriage visa" approval. The "poor" police man had to type out, on one of those old mechanical Thai typewriters, two very long and separate reports for immigration, one signed by the "headman" and the second signed by my wife. So, it would "seem" that this should have sufficed as my 90 day report, but from reading the previous threads, I don't think so.

And indeed "Lopburi3", I wouldn't mind doing a "vacation" every 90 days to somewhere that has an immigration office, it's just that the timing is not always convenient nor do I always desire to "vacation" where there is an immigration office. Oh well.

Service with a smile....... though I still had to pay 2000 bht.

Just came back from the Immigration office in Bkk, I must say the lady-officers were all very helpful and smiling. But I was too late and did have to pay.

Oh, well, lesson learned.

It wasn´t a big deal anyway. The officer asked if I would pay now or next week? The fine was the same, so they don´t really care how much you overstay.

One more thing, earlier in this discussion there is a list of the needed documents when sending by post .

Strangely the lady gave me a form for the next time saying I could fill this in and send it by post or messenger. She did not mention anything else.

But I guess it is better to follow the mentioned list, to be save.

Steadirob

:o

I wonder why this thread is still rumbling on.

It is such a simple procedure.

66Fergy clearly stated the procedure back on page one.

If you buck the trend you just make life more difficult for those

who want to live a peaceful life within the rules.

Edited by astral

By the way, under "Notice" on the departure card, there are 6 numbered paragraphs. Number 5 says: "Must notify your place of residence to the immigration office if you stay longer than ninety days and are required to do so every ninety days".

Couldn't be clearer, could it?

Yes it could. I had taken it to mean:

A: If you stay longer than ninety days and are required to report your place of residence every ninety days, you must report it to the immigration office.

To exclude this meaning, it would need to be reworded as:

B: If you stay longer than ninety days, you must notify your place of residence to the immigration office and do so every ninety days

I wouldn't be surprised if a language analysis program could find further interpretations.

By the way, under "Notice" on the departure card, there are 6 numbered paragraphs. Number 5 says: "Must notify your place of residence to the immigration office if you stay longer than ninety days and are required to do so every ninety days".

Couldn't be clearer, could it?

Yes it could. I had taken it to mean:

A: If you stay longer than ninety days and are required to report your place of residence every ninety days, you must report it to the immigration office.

To exclude this meaning, it would need to be reworded as:

B: If you stay longer than ninety days, you must notify your place of residence to the immigration office and do so every ninety days

I wouldn't be surprised if a language analysis program could find further interpretations.

Very well put Richard! I hearby nominate you "Official Thai Translator for the Immigration Division" :D

Another alternative (which is the way I read it) is: "Must notify your place of residence to the immigration office if you stay longer than ninety days and you are also required to do so every ninety days thereafter". Crystal clear! (-ish?) :o

• 2 years later...

Hi I have retirement visa and report every 90 days,i have just returned back from a trip home , my question is ? does my 90 days start from when i enter thailand or do i have to report when my originel 90 days expires?