Proof of onward travel

I was boarding a flight from Taipei to Bangkok (Tiger Airways if I remember correctly) in 2018, intending to enter on visa free and extend, and had a flight to Germany about 58 days later. I had a printout of the (then fairly new) possibility to extend a visa-free entry, but that didn't help, airline wanted to see a visa or flight out within 30 days. So I bought a fully refundable flight Bangkok to Taipei with the same airline (about 650 EUR, to get things done quickly so I don't miss my flight) on the spot and paid by credit card. Once in Bangkok, I the cancelled the flight and got a full refund from airline, however fees by my bank and others added up to about 50 EUR, more than a cheap ticket would have cost.

I once entered on a METV and was asked by immigration officer for proof of leaving (my history of many years on tourist visas must have flagged up; I guess if I had argued that visa holders are not required to show proof of leaving, they would have looked for something else) and I booked a flight on the spot on my phone, showed the flight confirmation on my phone, and got stamped in.

I would allow plenty of time, and check times and prices and test how do everything on your phone (I usually book flights on computer), and go without flight out within 30 days.

Edited by ChristianPFC