Your Cars Tyre Pressure

john b good

I had the pleasure today to visit Maejo's for a wonderful roast NZ lamb late lunch with all the trimmings.

Apon my arrival he said "I think you might need a bit of air in your RF tyre" I took a look and at first glance I conceded that he might have been right. But as the wheel was "off the straight" I thought that that might have been making it look as if the pressure may have been a bit on the low side.

I straightened the front wheels and Maejo agreed that it didn't look so bad.

Then we got into a bit of a debate about the frequency of checking the pressure in ones car tyres (you know how he can be) I run low profile tyres so they do look as if they need a bit of air. But everytime (first time I drive the car each day) I walk around and have a good look at the tyres.

I always do this. I have had this car for a little over three years (purchased it new) Do you think that I should take it in to check the tyre pressure?

Why I ask is that gas stations here in the realm don't have the same tyre air pressure checking service as "back home" and also whether you think that once in three years is about right to check the pressure. (or should I check more frequently)

Why I ask is that gas stations here in the realm don't have the same tyre air pressure checking service as "back home" and also whether you think that once in three years is about right to check the pressure. (or should I check more frequently)

You can just ask them to check when you go to fill up, but personally prefer to do the check myself and have my own gauge kept in the car. Personally I think every 3-4 months, rather then 3-4 years would be more appropriate. :o

However the Safety Division of the DOT suggests once a month.

And here > Car-care

personally prefer to do the check myself and have my own gauge kept in the car.

I do this also. Usually when I have the car washed, about every 2 weeks or so.

I used to ask the service attendants to do it, but one time they put 45 psi in one of my front tires, 32 psi in the other front tire, and somehow managed to get the rear tires at a matching 26 psi. The handling of the car was off and noticeable immediately. As such, I don't trust them to do it anymore.

As such, I don't trust them to do it anymore.

My reason for doing it myself also. And now that the station that I use have the 'automated' air filling terminals which don't seem to work worth a darn, even more reason to have my own gauge. I compared what the punched in value was and what was actually put in the tire, off by at least 5 psi on the high side!

As such, I don't trust them to do it anymore.

My reason for doing it myself also. And now that the station that I use have the 'automated' air filling terminals which don't seem to work worth a darn, even more reason to have my own gauge. I compared what the punched in value was and what was actually put in the tire, off by at least 5 psi on the high side!

The guages at these filling stations are notoriously inaccurate. You should always either carry your own guage or have your pressures checked at tyre retail and fitting establishment.

So many motorists also omit to check the spare tyre pressure. Only when they have a reason to use it do they find it is flat also.

and also whether you think that once in three years is about right to check the pressure. (or should I check more frequently)

///////////////////////

Once in three years ! I wonder what is the longest time that somebody has neglected the air in his tyre ?

So many motorists also omit to check the spare tyre pressure. Only when they have a reason to use it do they find it is flat also.

You're absolutely right- and I'm guilty of this. I've never given the spare tire a second thought.

You're absolutely right- and I'm guilty of this. I've never given the spare tire a second thought.

funnily enough, today I rotated the tyres from from to rear due to uneven wear (front had less tread) the spare was flat so I need to take that to the filling station.

Incidently, are there any stations in CM where you can top up air yourself? Thus done properly with your own gauge.

I really think you should check at least every few weeks or so (1 month max).

The reason is, often the tyre itself, or the wheel, or the valve can have a very slow leak, hardly discernable over a short time.

The danger is, when you have an underinflated tyre, and you drive at a sustained speed of say 100 kph (or more) for any distance (say CM to Lamphun) the tire sidewall will flex excessively, heat will build up, and (you guessed it ) the tyre could suffer a delamination (tread separation) or worse, a sudden blowout. This could have serious consequences...

You can buy a reasonably accurate gauge in many places. I bought a dial type at a motorcycle accessory shop on Chang Moi Rd.- reads in both psi and bar.

The Shell that I usually patronize next to Central KSK has had their air fill out of service recently, so I have been going to the service station just north of Huay Kaew on Superhighway (is it a Jet, PTT, Petronas...can't remember) on the left as you head north. They have an excellent long hose on an overhead arm; easy to do a car/full sized SUV etc.

BTW, depending on tyre spec from manufacturer, try about 32 psi/225 Kbar.

McG

I reckon that the Jet petrol station on Maneenopparat Road has a pretty good accurate automatic gauge. I take my own gauge to double check when I do my bike tyres & it aint that far off. Every couple of weeks seems reasonable to check for city driving, but if you're going up country check 'em every time before you go. And yeah it's best if you check them yourself.

Holding the gauge on straight 'n tight is best.

When does Maejo have shepherds pie coming up next on the menu?

"...whether you think that once in three years is about right to check the pressure. (or should I check more frequently)"

You trolling here ? For safety and efficiency from your vehicle check it once a month or so. And get that oil changed every couple years too!

That would depend alot on your driving style ..

i had 32-35 for my front and 35-37 for my rear , cos my car is rear wheel drive .

but what you need to see is that the tire is fill to the pint that both edge on both end is flat .

tire can take up to 55psi . and is still running especially some truck can be loading as high as 60 psi .

some go for 40 psi for the rear and 35 for the front .

some go for all balance .

do remeber this .. if you going for long distanct go for 35- 37 even .

if you travel in town .. go for rear strong then front .

good luck

My car manual recommends different pressures depending on the load (number of passengers and degree to which boot is full).

Those pressures are meant to be showing on cold tyres, whereas they are of course hot, and therefore showing increased pressures, by the time one gets to a petrol station. This means I check the pressure at home and note how many psi to add or remove from each tyre to reach the recommended pressure - a cumbersome process.

Every two weeks or so, using my own gauge that I keep with me, and the good electronic one at the PTT on the Superhighway more or less across from the Mae Jo turn off (which just went out of order yesterday). Correct tire pressure is important for handling, gas mileage, and safety. With modern tires it's not really possible to judge inflation just by looking, unless the tire is seriously flat. You can be off by 25% and the tire will look OK, so check often.

I hate having to wait while some git checks his tyres so I have bought one of those little compressers that work off your incar lighter socket, so that I can check them myself when ever I feel like it.

Incidentally. I find that Bridgestones are good when you need new tyres.

I bought two new Firestones, the latest type, and they fitted and balanced them for 4010bht. Realignment on a super electronic machine was 300bht.

But, they blotted their copy book by putting more air in one tyre than the other. So she pulled a bit to the left........good old Thailand.

A little trick that I have used for decades is to carry a short but stout stick in my car/motorcycles and regularly give the tires a whack.

You will likely be surprised at how quickly you can learn to identify the sound of correct inflation (I can tell within 2 lbs) and a simple knock-five-times takes mere seconds while the 'modern' method takes squatting down, unscrewing the cap, fiddling with a possibly inaccurate guage, screwing the cap back on, trying (we old geezers anyway) to get back up without falling into the Cosmic Snicker's Perpetual Mud Puddle, then finding a place to wipe your (by now) soiled paws..

The 'stout stick' is also handy for resolving domestic disputes. :o

Proper inflation is less important than equal pressures unless you are going long distances at high speed. In fact slightly lower pressure increases the amount of rubber on the road and marginally increases traction while unequal lateral pressures can negatively affect steering/handling of the vehicle.

Kinda like drinking..

Trust the station attendant? Umm, don't think so. Yo butt is riding on those few square centimeters of rubber that contact the surface of the roads, toads! Do your own preflight inspection...

"...whether you think that once in three years is about right to check the pressure. (or should I check more frequently)"

You trolling here ? For safety and efficiency from your vehicle check it once a month or so. And get that oil changed every couple years too!

Trolling ?? No !

Expounding on Maejo's cooking ?? No ! (everyone who has had the priviledge of partaking of this man's cooking needs no reminding)

Actually it (the OP) was a bit tongue in cheek however there have been some good replies with sound advice. And thanks for those who took the time to do so.

Today I did stop by the tyre shop (with the Goodyear sign above it and about 200 metres before you get to Chotana when your heading S/W on the superhighway.

I asked them if they would check the tyre pressures, which they did including the one in the trunk.

When I asked the guy how much he said "mai pen rai"

I gave him 50 baht and when the time comes to fit new tyres this outfit will get my dollars.

Changing the oil, yeah, had that done a year or so back so should be alright for a while yet.

Yes, or every 100,000 kilometers, whichever comes first. :o

................................................................................

When does Maejo have shepherds pie coming up next on the menu?

Next week mate, and Grumpy doesn't get a gurnsey :o

What about me Mr. MaeJo Man? idhitit.gif

Anytime you're in town mate....Always welcome :D