ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

even if you don't mind the slow charging, taking a rest break, eating while charging, the current charging network is not enough on busy Thai holiday long weekends where even petrol pumps and service areas are jam packed, if there's even a few EVs ahead of you in a queue, each doing 20min-half hour at least (likely more) that's too long of a queue for the fast charger. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I don't think the issue is how we mobilise the energy we consume, it is more about limiting our consumption. Flying 10 time around the world, every year for leisure of frivolous work meetings is criminal, we can have perfectly good lives while staying within a few hundred kilometres from where we live.

Thats rather strange , unless you are a Thai . Most people here are people living in Thailand or going holiday Thailand , and also most people birth nation is much further away then a few 100km .

It doesn't mean that we shouldn't limit our consumption , if i see many peoples electric bills over here , there's still a lot of work to be done. 

11 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Are you implying that only Thais will admit their past errors? 

Strange indeed.

No , i agree that we all make errors , we are all human . But you are saying:  i did that , but you cannot . People must be able to travel , far or close , that's personal choice . The travel industry does need to adapt also , but saying you can't anymore is a different thing .High speed rail is 1 thing which can already be a big thing , if the price is not more then a plane ticket .

7 hours ago, thaibook said:

If the technology is better and the price competitive people will choose, but I object to coercion.  And assuming a moral point of view with regards engines is similar to assuming it on homosexuality or prostitution.

I disagree. One engine is killing the planet, the other can (help) save it.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, thaibook said:

Have you not noticed the treasure and brain power invested recently in early planning for colonies on Mars?

The approach to "climate change" is the same as towards Covid.  No consideration of the cost benefit of alternatives; simply an all out frenzy by fanatics who have scared others into thinking that the end of the world is nigh.

Nothing but wasted $$$ and brain cells, till they can figure a way to travel at warp speed.  Your tax $$$ at work, going into someone's pocket / slush fund.

They can't even get to the moon, or keep shuttles in the air safely.  By the time they figure it out, there will be so much trash orbiting the planet, it might be impossible ... ????

And the ambient temps on Mars ... ????

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, thaibook said:

Have you not noticed the treasure and brain power invested recently in early planning for colonies on Mars?

The approach to "climate change" is the same as towards Covid.  No consideration of the cost benefit of alternatives; simply an all out frenzy by fanatics who have scared others into thinking that the end of the world is nigh.

And (coincidentally) it's the intelligentsia that benefits from both. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing is killing the planet, the planet is fine.  Human WILL eventually destroy the natural resources then need to live on the planet, and become extinct, or close to it.   But the planet is fine.

Someone else who thinks they are making a serious point by taking a figure of speech literally.

Edited by placeholder

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Someone else who thinks they are making a serious point by taking a figure of speech literally.

Don't think it was a figure of speech, and yes, took it literally also.  Implied, killing the natural resources humans need to survive; air & water being polluted  Yes, that is real and on topic, whether ICE or EV, both are detrimental to the resources (air & water) for humans to live on the 'planet'.

Debate which is better, leave that up to y'all, because I simply don't care.  But the planet, it's doing fine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Don't think it was a figure of speech, and yes, took it literally also.  Implied, killing the natural resources humans need to survive; air & water being polluted  Yes, that is real and on topic, whether ICE or EV, both are detrimental to the resources (air & water) for humans to live on the 'planet'.

Debate which is better, leave that up to y'all, because I simply don't care.  But the planet, it's doing fine.

Maybe you should try reading what you wrote Here it is again:

"Nothing is killing the planet, the planet is fine.  Human WILL eventually destroy the natural resources then need to live on the planet, and become extinct, or close to it.   But the planet is fine."

What you wrote, clearly takes it literally. Whether you actually believe that to be the case, and especially whether you care about the issue or not, are irrelevant. I'm holding you accountable for what you wrote. Whether that corresponds to what you believe or what you feel, who cares?

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

And (coincidentally) it's the intelligentsia that benefits from both. 

"Yes Brother Number One, shall we round up all the schoolteachers to start with...........and maybe everyone wearing glasses?"

Edited by Enoon

20 hours ago, fdsa said:

main-qimg-cf4ae668fe67f7dcebfc2053520721

Hydrogen ICE is the only true "green" engine, but Z.O.G. does not allow it to be mass produced.

Utter nonsense. Green hydrogen is still very expensive to produce although the price is falling rapidly thanks to recent advances in electrolysis. Hydrogen filling stations are also very expensive to build since storage facilities for hydrogen are not cheap.

And as the percentage of renewable power grows, EVs will progressively become less polluting. By, the way, that same proviso would apply to hydrogen power.