The Father Of Rock & Roll

cdnvic

The Birth of Rock & Roll  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Type "father of rock" into a search engine and you will get a dozen or more claims to the title, from legendary guitarist Les Paul, to self deluding wife beater Ike Turner.

Who would you say gave birth to Rock in it's modern form?

You can pick more than one if you want.

Edited by sbk
added Elvis

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching Elvis Presley on TV in late 1955 and thinking this was something really great. My parents preferred Perry Como. But Elvis was the guy who made rock 'n roll popular although an argument could be made that Chuck Berry and Little Richard were more inventive than Elvis. By the way, Jerry Lee did not become popular until 1957 by which time Elvis, Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps, Fats Domino and others had made rock and roll the in thing for teenagers. I can't remember the year in which Tommy Steele became a rock star in England or Screamin' Lord Sutch.

I almost forgot Bill Hayley and the Comets who put out, 'Rock Around the Clock' before Elvis. However, Elvis was the guy, and rock and roll would have struggled to be accepted by teenagers without him.

And teenagers were not invented until after the Second World War. Prior to that young people worked, and had little in the way of leisure time.

Cub Koda wrote, "Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers."

John Lennon was more succinct: "If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."

Berry was among the first musicians to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on its opening in 1986.

Born October 18, 1926 (age 80)

The Father of Rock & Roll, Mr. Chuck Berry:

00342692.jpg

Cdnvic, I've added Elvis. If you are going to include Jerry Lee, you do have to include Elvis as well :o.

No I don't. Elvis was a great singer but had little creative control and hardly wrote anything, or was much of a musician. That is why I intentionally left him out of my poll.

Start your own on Elvis if you like.

Edited by cdnvic

I think we'd all agree that Elvis was the king of rock n roll, but not the father.

I agree. I'm not aware that Elvis penned any of the songs he's known for.

Given that the son is not necessarily a clone of the father, I'll go abstract and say that I consider the Deep South Blues singers/composers to be the father(s).

I think we'd all agree that Elvis was the king of rock n roll, but not the father.

I agree. I'm not aware that Elvis penned any of the songs he's known for.

Given that the son is not necessarily a clone of the father, I'll go abstract and say that I consider the Deep South Blues singers/composers to be the father(s).

I think if you read early interviews of the beatles, etc., they would agree with you as I recall, but insofar as there is (1) father, it would have to be Berry, I suppose making his most famous son Elvis, and given how the beatles popularized the genre, they would have to be considered the apostles or famous grandkids??

My feelings on the subject are:

Bo Diddley. He was the one who originated the guitar as the lead instrument that drove the music, rather than just accompanying it. Without this innovation the music of Chuck Berry would have been much less exciting, and rock just wouldn't be rock. He was the first to transform R&B into rock. Among the musicians of the era he was given the title "The Originator" for that reason. He was also the full package. Singer, songwriter, composer, and musician. His influences are still heard strongly today in everything from country & western to rap.

Sam Phillips. When others wouldn't sign them, Sam Phillips gave a break to Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and other music legends such as Roy Orbison. Had they not gotten their breaks, the history of rock could have been very different...and very short.

Edited by cdnvic

Bo Diddley. He was the one who originated the guitar as the lead instrument that drove the music, rather than just accompanying it. Without this innovation the music of Chuck Berry would have been much less exciting, and rock just wouldn't be rock. He was the first to transform R&B into rock. Among the musicians of the era he was given the title "The Originator" for that reason. He was also the full package. Singer, songwriter, composer, and musician. His influences are still heard strongly today in everything from country & western to rap.

Sam Phillips. When others wouldn't sign them, Sam Phillips gave a break to Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and other music legends such as Roy Orbison. Had they not gotten their breaks, the history of rock could have been very different...and very short.

I mentioned the movie "Walk the Line" earlier about Johnny Cash. There is a great depiction of Sam Phillips in that film. You should all get it to get a feel for the roots of those guys, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Johnny, etc..

I mentioned the movie "Walk the Line" earlier about Johnny Cash. There is a great depiction of Sam Phillips in that film. You should all get it to get a feel for the roots of those guys, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Johnny, etc..

Possibly one of the great jam sessions in music history occurred in Sun's studios with those guys....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Quartet

Bill Hailey and the Comets

Agreed 100%

It's really not a matter of who you like now, it's who made the biggest impact at the time. In my opinion, the "rock and roll era" began in 1955 with the release of "Blackboard Jungle" featuring a song by Bill Haley and His Comets "Rock Around The Clock".

Of course, I wasn't there :o but my understanding is that it caused quite a stir in the "over 30" crowd at the time.

Agreed 100%

It's really not a matter of who you like now, it's who made the biggest impact at the time. In my opinion, the "rock and roll era" began in 1955 with the release of "Blackboard Jungle" featuring a song by Bill Haley and His Comets "Rock Around The Clock".

Of course, I wasn't there :o but my understanding is that it caused quite a stir in the "over 30" crowd at the time.

By that time Diddley had already been banned from The Ed Sullivan Show for playing "that coloured music" :D

Agreed 100%

By that time Diddley had already been banned from The Ed Sullivan Show for playing "that coloured music" :D

Thats true, but does banning from the Ed Sullivan Show make him the Father of Rock and Roll?.....I don't think so.

In my opinion, there were "genre" movies that made an impact on the youth scene, Blackboard Jungle, Rebel Without A Cause, On The Waterfront and Easy Rider just to name a few. But since the topic is The Father of Rock and Roll, between the movie and the music, I still have to vote for "other" which would represent Bill Haley and His Comets in this poll.

Famous Quotes

Bo Diddley Quotes

I made 'Bo Diddley' in '55, they started playing it, and everybody freaked out. Caucasian kids threw Beethoven into the garbage can.

-- Bo Diddley

I opened the door for a lot of people, and they just ran through and left me holding the knob.

-- Bo Diddley

ps,

doubt that Sir Micheal and Kieth would argue.

Edited by Mid

I think if you read early interviews of the beatles, etc., they would agree with you as I recall, but insofar as there is (1) father, it would have to be Berry, I suppose making his most famous son Elvis, and given how the beatles popularized the genre, they would have to be considered the apostles or famous grandkids??

I suppose that Berry's recording of "My Ding-a-Ling" has stuck in my mind as a sort of abandonment of his roots but that's just a personal thing. Everyone has to make a living. As Clapton quit the Yardbirds because they were jumping on the 'popular music' bandwagon and he wanted to concentrate upon the Deep South roots of the blues. Then he sang "I Shot the Sherriff" - doh!

Thats true, but does banning from the Ed Sullivan Show make him the Father of Rock and Roll?.....I don't think so.

No, but developing the style that Bill Haley adopted did.

I'm not disputing the influence of Blackboard Jungle.

I suppose that Berry's recording of "My Ding-a-Ling" has stuck in my mind as a sort of abandonment of his roots but that's just a personal thing. Everyone has to make a living. As Clapton quit the Yardbirds because they were jumping on the 'popular music' bandwagon and he wanted to concentrate upon the Deep South roots of the blues. Then he sang "I Shot the Sherriff" - doh!

Well, but Clapton did one little rock history making stint in between called Cream, remember??? classic and tops

No, but developing the style that Bill Haley adopted did.

I'm not disputing the influence of Blackboard Jungle.

Did Bo Diddley record before 1953 to provide an influence on Bill Haley?

Crazy, Man, Crazy Bill Haley & His Comets

Shake Rattle and Roll Bill Haley & His Comets

Well, but Clapton did one little rock history making stint in between called Cream, remember??? classic and tops

Yes he did; and I remember very well. Unfortunately I couldn't see the farewell concert live (1973?) but saw it in the Leeds University 'cinema' a few days later. His days with Mayall were also awesome and to a lesser extent the short time with Blind Faith. Then it appeared to go to ratshit for a few years.

Yes he did; and I remember very well. Unfortunately I couldn't see the farewell concert live (1973?) but saw it in the Leeds University 'cinema' a few days later. His days with Mayall were also awesome and to a lesser extent the short time with Blind Faith. Then it appeared to go to ratshit for a few years.

I'm with you bro. I'm (was) a guitar enthusiast and his withdrawal from that genre was the saddest day for me, apart from when Stevie Ray Vaughn bit the dust.