Newbie Questions

siridupe

I am new to Bangkok. Just got an apartment here. I have some questions - I use my aircon all the time because I am working in the apartment. What are costs for this? Some one told me about 1500 a month. Is that about right? Or am I really running up a bill? A second question - where can I find an English Map with Bangkok bus routes? :o

Thanks so much,

Siri Amar DEv

For your questions

1)The rate of electricity is depends on your landlord. You had batter ask him/her about what is the rate that he/she charge from you (Bht /Unit). It may be either his/her rate or the Bangkok Electricity Authority's rate

2)Free online map is http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/bangkok_ma...metro_area.html

or buy a map from a book shop

I am presuming that you are paying 5 baht/unit for electricity. A single air-conditioner costs about 5000 baht per month, if you never shut it off. Calculate accordingly, based on actual number of hours used per month.

For English language bus maps, try Bookazine. Asia Books may hav some too.

between 1500B - 2500B is a reasonable budget for electricity. If you use your AC only at night + fridge + microwave + notebook + washing machine, you're probably near the 1500B mark, but if you use your AC all night + during the day, then it will be highter (around 2000B - 2500B).

Check out the discussion "Am I paying too much for electricity". It's a long-running, mind-numbing thread detailing some people's electricity usage down to the baht. God-willing, BKK will have more to offer you than watching your electric meter spin, and you won't be sucked into this morass.

• 2 weeks later...

Great. Thanks everyone. My aircon is new, but works like old. Its under warrenty, may get a new one. My bill last month wasnt bad. Hopefully same this month. Thanks for your replies! I have yet to get a bus map - been busy.

Thanks again!