Bondi Vs Patong

khall64au

As far as world famous beaches go - I have witnessed the struggle over years gone by... and since the most iconic of both my chosen "homes" now stand - I'd like to ask my fellow Phuketians:

Has our most famous Thai beach ( PATONG) improved?

OR

Will it go by way of Bondi ? (of which I was disgusted way back in the early '90's and apparently nothing has changed?)..... the following diatribe sounds just like the blah blah we hear here, year in, year out!!!!!!!!

WHAT DO WE THINK?????????????

:

Bondi Beach $3.1 million upgrade begins

The first sod was turned on a $3.1 million makeover of Sydney's most famous beach this morning - but not before some political theatrics.

Federal Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull joined Waverley Council mayor George Newhouse in launching the works at Bondi Beach.

Mr Turnbull said Bondi was iconic and "the greatest beach in the greatest city in the world".

"It represents Australia to the rest of the world like the Opera House, like Uluru," he told reporters at the beachfront.

But before Mr Turnbull could grasp the shovel to turn the symbolic sod, he drew fire from a Labor councillor over his remark that the beach had been neglected.

"It has not been neglected," Waverley Labor councillor Ingrid Strewe shouted repeatedly.

"I can't let you get away with that."

Mr Turnbull acknowledged the interjection by telling his audience: "I'm being heckled by the Waverley Council".

Earlier, Mr Turnbull, the member for the local electorate of Wentworth, told the crowd that he'd arrived at the beach on the 381 bus as a way of "mixing with everybody" and described Bondi as "the international beach in our most international city".

Cr Newhouse, also a Labor councillor, told the crowd the upgrade was "great news for tourists and locals alike".

"It's a three-stage plan," he said.

"We're hoping this work, which is the second stage, will be completed for this summer."

The federal government has contributed $2 million to the project, with Waverley Council funding the balance.

:o

The hotel on Patong Beach in which I stayed in January has just been demolished, and the one next door where I stayed this week will be knocked down within the next month.

(Patong Bungalows and The Beach)

In their place the Safari chain plan to build a 5 star resort a la The Holiday Inn. I suppose thats an improvement, but I wont be able to afford to stay literally on the beach any more!

Addittionally, one of my favorite little beach bars for a sundown drink, The Bavarian, just closed. (I drank the last beer they sold - a Loenbrow)

Apparently the Savoey Restaurant is expanding to the beach side location.

So I guess progress is happenning on Patong Beach as well. :o

I lived in North Bondi for 6 months in 1998 and recently moved out of Patong (last month). I have to say that Bondi beach and the surrounding area is (was) far superior in terms of natural beauty, cleanliness and atmosphere. They are both famous but that is where the comparison stops as far as I can tell. Not been since 98 so maybe Bondi has gone downhill as well? Has much changed since then?

However, I assume you are talking more about the place than the beach? If you are talking about beaches/swimming, I would have thought better choices for comparison would be Surin (when the rip is not in effect), Laem Sing, Karon, Kata (Yai), Kata Noi, Naiharn, Paradise or (perhaps) Kamala. Then, of course, there are the island's northern beaches. Kata Yai water can get a bit iffy at times, but the Patong water seems to be a repository for sewage more than anything else. If you are talking about comparing Patong and Surfers as holiday resorts, then Patong wins hands down over Surfers IMHO (now that you can get most things in Patong without having to go to Central Festival, Tesco Lotus or Big C).

Would you really call Patong Beach - as in the beach itself - 'World Famous' though? I would think it is one of the lowest rating beaches by World standards.

Edited by Ping

Seems that rigormortis has set in to this thread. Was it something I said?

Nothing you said Ping ... I think Mid wants us to solve the riddle and guess which beach (&environs) really compares to Patong. He doesn't seem to agree with my Bondi/ surfers paradise suggestions :o

Seems that rigormortis has set in to this thread. Was it something I said?

Nothing you said Ping ... I think Mid wants us to solve the riddle and guess which beach (&environs) really compares to Patong. He doesn't seem to agree with my Bondi/ surfers paradise suggestions :o

Thanks - a little light has just appeared. A beach village/town comparable to Patong... sorry, the buzzer has sounded.

Travel picks: Top 10 island beaches

Reuters

Published: Saturday, July 07, 2007

NEW YORK, (Reuters) -- Ever wanted to feel like a castaway in a warm, secluded oasis of tranquility and beauty? Conde Nast Traveler has scoured the globe to find the best island beaches.

Following is a list of their top 10 choices:

1. Shipwreck Beach, Zakynthos, Greece -- This is an idyllic, isolated beach scooped out of a vertical wall of white rock.

snip

9. Kamala Beach, Phuket, Thailand -- The western shores are thick with beaches, and many of those beaches are bustling with commercial activity including food vendors, gift shops, bars and other distractions. Kamala is the antidote. Kamala Bay's main street is a convivial integration of seafood restaurants, shops, and bars that are notably tamer.

So Reuters rates Kamala Beach #9 in the World. Well, with the greatest of respect to people who live in Kamala - and I would add that it is a pleasant enough place - but #9??? Pardon me while I pick myself up from the floor. :o