Seperated From Thai Wife

I have a 1 year visa that I attained with my wife who is Thai. She is also an American resident. We came to Thailand together in January and planned to live with and help her family in Isaan. Due to difficulties we have seperated and she has gone back to America to live and work again. I plan to stay in Thailand for as long as possible but have a feeling my 1 year visa might be in jeopardy. I would like any feedback on what I must do. Do I need to contact the Thai Embassy and inform them of my situation?

I have a 1 year visa that I attained with my wife who is Thai. She is also an American resident. We came to Thailand together in January and planned to live with and help her family in Isaan. Due to difficulties we have seperated and she has gone back to America to live and work again. I plan to stay in Thailand for as long as possible but have a feeling my 1 year visa might be in jeopardy. I would like any feedback on what I must do. Do I need to contact the Thai Embassy and inform them of my situation?

When you obtained your visa you did so according to your situation at that time.  Why on earth do you think the Thai Embassy would be interested in your personal life.  You may get together again next week, then split up again the week after.  The embassy are hardly concerned that you may see out your visa  without your wife being in Thailand with you.  Anyway your still married.

Maybe you should contact them just to let them know your a bit upset - just incase they worry about you :o

**abusive flame removed***

I wouldn't do anything. Once you get divorced, then you should probably say something, but that would probably be well after your visa expires, so it probably won't matter.

Edited by sbk
abusive post removed

"due to difficulties have separated.................." does that mean divorce? That never crossed my mind, i was thinking more along the lines of financial difficulties, i hope i'm right.

I to hope it is finacial. More importanly depending on her "status" back in the States her long term position there is more precarious than yours! (in Thailand)

Edited by maprao

In American English, or at least my western dialect :o , for spouses to be "separated" usually means to be living apart as a formal prelude to divorce. Of course some couples reconcile, but we would not say "separated" if we were just living apart due to financial or logistical reasons...

My sympathies to Naturk, and I would agree that your current permission to stay should still be valid, but the next renewal won't work on the grounds of marriage if things do not improve.

For what it is worth, unless you have actually completed the divorce process and still hold your Thai marriage certificate (tubplian som rot) you may continue to renew your visa for as long as you like. The ethical considerations of doing this are something only you can deal with...

When you obtained your visa you did so according to your situation at that time.  Why on earth do you think the Thai Embassy would be interested in your personal life.  You may get together again next week, then split up again the week after.  The embassy are hardly concerned that you may see out your visa  without your wife being in Thailand with you.  Anyway your still married.

Maybe you should contact them just to let them know your a bit upset - just incase they worry about you :o

What a lousy post. I hope that you live well with your sarcasm and maybe one day this will happen to you.

I wouldn't do anything. Once you get divorced, then you should probably say something, but that would probably be well after your visa expires, so it probably won't matter.

Great entertainment

Hahahhaha

Officially you are still married to a Thai which means your non immigrant visa as married to a Thai is still valid. Only need to report to immigration if you get divorced or your spouse dies. This situation has nothing to do with any embassies if you are residing in Thailand.

Your big problem is when you have to apply for your next visa extension as married to a Thai. Your Thai spouse needs to go with you to immigration for your application. Even getting a quicky divorce and remarrying another Thai lady would be no use as Thai immigration rules impose that an applicant should be married to their new spouse for a minimum period of one year after divorce.

You have 4 options:

1. Patch things up with your wife and convince her to go to immigration with you when your next visa extension is due.

2. Apply for a visa extension as a pensioner if you are 50 or over and have funds a minimum of 800,000 baht or equvilant pension of 65000 baht per month.

3. Renew your visas using the visa run system.

4. Pack up and return to America.

The odds are that if your wife is an American citizen, she will try and grab any assets you have in the states and maintenance money from you. The lawyers will do that for her. If you have children together, you will have to pay.

Maybe in your case, options 1 or 3 would be the best bet.

My dear friend, I am gutfully sorry for your situation, been there. I am a lawyer and giving you the hard facts of the case.

Hope all works out for you and good luck for the future.

Edited by RagingBrit

...Your big problem is when you have to apply for your next visa extension as married to a Thai.

The original poster did not say that he has ever applied for an extension of stay. Nor did he say that he plans to apply for an extension. Please try to stay on topic. Thank you.

He said that he arrived in Thailand with a “1 year visa”. This is a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa category O for the purpose of visiting his Thai wife.

--

Maestro

I have a 1 year visa ... with my wife who is Thai. ... Due to difficulties we have seperated..... Do I need to contact the Thai Embassy and inform them of my situation?

Please do read the VISA-regulations again. Some permits are given under special circumstances only so the permit/visa might be revoked (if they find out).

Please do read the VISA-regulations again. Some permits are given under special circumstances only so the permit/visa might be revoked (if they find out).

They, who?

Visa = permission to travel to Thailand. Issued by a Thai consulate, ie outside Thailand. We do not know what “purpose of visit” the OP gave on his visa application. A man married to a Thai national usually states “visit family and friends”

Entry stamp (admitted <date> until <date>) = permission to stay in Thailand. Stamped in the passport by an immigration official. This official does not know what purpose of visit was given on the visa application. No note is made in the passport regarding the purpose of visit.

--

Maestro