การได้มาซึ่งอำนาจ

DavidHouston

การเมืองเป็นเรื่องเกี่ยวกับวิธีการได้มาซึ่งอำนาจในการปกครอง และการบริหารราชการแผ่นดิน และการใช้อำนาจที่ได้มาเพื่อสร้างความผาสุกให้แก่ประชาชน

"Politics is concerned with the process of acquiring power in government and the administration of the country. [it is also about] the use of such acquired power to bring contentment to the people."

Does the phrase "การได้มาซึ่งอำนาจ" mean "the acquisiton of power"? What is the function of "ซึ่ง" in this construction?

Thanks.

"ซึ่ง" is used as a relative pronoun or used in a context to introduce a noun in the objective case after a transitive verb, where in ordinary language no preposition is required.

"อำนาจในการปกครอง และการบริหารราชการแผ่นดิน" is the noun in the objective case.

"ได้มา" - transtitive verb.

"การได้มาซึ่งอำนาจในการปกครอง และการบริหารราชการแผ่นดิน" is a sub clause which act as an object of the main sentence. That's why you have to add the word "การ" to change it to be a noun clause.

I think the choice of grammatical construction in this case is also influenced by the the length of the object, and it has also become a convention in formal writing.

If the object is a list of several things, or as in this case an entire clause, and you would normally have another auxiliary/serial verb following the object, this is a way of making the sentence clearer. It also makes it sound very formal, which is why you only see it in writing, really.

Let me try to give an example:

ผมซื้อข้าวมา "I bought rice."

ผมซื้อข้าว น้ำพริก ไข่ไก่ ไก่ทอด และขนมปังมา "I bought rice, chili paste, eggs, fried chicken, and bread."

In regular informal speech, you would probably not tack มา on to the end, because the length of the object makes it awkward (and possibly unclear). In formal writing, you could restructure it like:

ผมซื้อมาซึ่งข้าว น้ำพริก ไข่ไก่ ไก่ทอด และขนมปัง

This would be a silly topic for formal writing, but that's the idea.

Edited by Rikker