Australian “work And Holiday Visa”

I am wondering if anyone has had experience of getting an Australian “Work and Holiday Visa” for a Thai national. I understand only 100 are issued each year, so is there much competition?

Situation is as follows:

• Thai National is 28 and wants to explore the world before he is 30!

• Currently has a professional job in an office that he is getting sick of

• Has a degree (BA) in architecture

• Has about 100,000 baht in savings which he has accumulated over 2 years.

• Has no contacts in Australian, other than a cousin he speaks to very occasionally.

• (I am British and live in the UK and have offered to find out any information for him)

• Good English, both written and speaking which he learnt whilst doing his degree.

What are his chances?

I am wondering if anyone has had experience of getting an Australian "Work and Holiday Visa" for a Thai national. I understand only 100 are issued each year, so is there much competition?

Situation is as follows:

• Thai National is 28 and wants to explore the world before he is 30!

• Currently has a professional job in an office that he is getting sick of

• Has a degree (BA) in architecture

• Has about 100,000 baht in savings which he has accumulated over 2 years.

• Has no contacts in Australian, other than a cousin he speaks to very occasionally.

• (I am British and live in the UK and have offered to find out any information for him)

• Good English, both written and speaking which he learnt whilst doing his degree.

What are his chances?

He has an excellent chance, my tip would be to check out exactly when the period of visa applications is being processed as they do this 100 person quota yearly (check with the Embassy for the period the application is open) it is not open all year. Obviously getting in at the right time is of vital importance. He stands to get in, no probs. Good luck, and check with Australian Embassy for more details. ( I did it, great experience, miss oz dearly!)

Edited by kratindaeng

I don't know the full details but there are also special 1 year visa's for uni graduates to go and work in aus for 1 year. Not sure if that is the same as the one you have mentioned above. It is worth a call to the visa office to ask.

What he should be looking at is called a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462). You can read about it further on http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-ho...y/462/index.htm . It is intended for tertiary educated people from Thailand, Chile and Turkey aged 18 to 30 who are interested in a working holiday of up to 12 months in Australia.

It is a sub group of another Working Holiday Visa.

I believe it's all a matter of what professionals/trades people are in need at the time the aplication is submitted.

The government here constantly montor job vacancies and placements and alicate working visas to suite these needs.

I believe there is a constantly updated news letter that provides this information but i'm not sure where to access it.

Good luck

I believe it's all a matter of what professionals/trades people are in need at the time the aplication is submitted.

The government here constantly montor job vacancies and placements and alicate working visas to suite these needs.

I believe there is a constantly updated news letter that provides this information but i'm not sure where to access it.

Good luck

not really. You are confusing the WHV with permanent migration, which has a qualfication criteria which is indeed based on skill sets, especially those in demand.

The WHV is on a first come, first served basis, so long as you meet the requirements.

For the OP - Additionally, there is a level of English that is required for Thai's to be eligible for the WHV. So they'll have to sit an IELTS test as well. Other than that, it sounds like the 'friend' has an exellent chance.

What he should be looking at is called a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462). You can read about it further on http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-ho...y/462/index.htm . It is intended for tertiary educated people from Thailand, Chile and Turkey aged 18 to 30 who are interested in a working holiday of up to 12 months in Australia.

It is a sub group of another Working Holiday Visa.

That is the one I was thinking of and as pointed out it is slight different to other working holiday visa's for say people from the UK and other places.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I couple of further questions.

Does he need a "goverment letter" ie something from a Thai government departments that gives permission?

Does anyone know about application dates? I have seen July written in a couple of places. I am presuming if he were to try now all 100 places would have probably gone.

The link given by Sunstate gives you all the relevent info.....you will have to look at other links on the site....

but a quick run down here for you.

He qualifies as far as most of the regulations go....he will need at least 150,000 baht in proven savings before he can apply. This is the savings required upon landing in Oz so he needs to show funds for the air ticket on top of this.

He will need a letters from the following;

The original letter of approval from the Office of Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups in Bangkok and a letter of consent from his parents or guardians.

There is a limit of 100 per annum and he needs the visa approved before he can make any bookings.

He must change jobs and/or locations after 6 months or the visa may be cancelled.

Any job he undertakes must be temporary...If he wants to work in a field for which he is qualified he needs to check if any licences are required in Oz and/or if the qualifications he has are sufficient to work in that field in Oz.

He will need to be assessed or show prove of his English language proficiency

He may require a police clearance and also medical clearances.

There is a study restriction in place for that visa also.

The visa cost is about 6000 baht....non refundable which must also be on top of the savings requirement.

The fees and costs quoted are actually higher than real terms as it is based on the rate of $1 = 30THB

Yeah I am a bit lazy tonite, just done a 14 hour day.

Hope this assists......... :o

Brilliant, thank you so much gburns. All that after a 14 hour day!!! Thats good going!

Oh yeah and the per annum is based on the finacial year......not the January to December year which is why July was mentioned.......

Sorry I missed that bit before....

###### that fatigue.... :o