Selling Stuff From Thailand On Ebay

Ruperts

Lets say Muay Thai shorts, for arguements sake.

I can just buy these in Thailand, set up an ebay account from Thailand, using my UK paypal account. Sell shorts on Ebay, ship individually to the UK direct to the buyers address and hey presto, 50 baht profit.

Is it really that easy? Is it illegal? Why don't more people do this? Or is that what all the people who are running 'export' businesses already doing?

What other factors need to be considered for a small operation like this?

i know someone that sells to usa from Thailand on ebay and does very very well .

Yes, I know of a guy who sells Thai jewelry through eBay to the U.S. But it is illegal.

Funny that his business address isn't on his website.

Edited by expatwannabe

I think the guy has just used 50 baht as a pull a number out of the air figure , ok lets say he buys and sells and makes 1000/2000 profit per item and sells many .

Now whats wrong with his idea other than its work and most are too lazy to do it LOL .

Gosh .. I went to Uni to learn business. So I don't think I'll share.

:o

I went to Uni to learn business as well. But whats that got to do with the price of fish?

Joeuk1, thanks,

It just seems a bit obvious, thats why i thought i'd ask. So anyone got any straight answers they feel like sharing?

I buy and sell watches on ebay over here.

It works for me but I only do it as a hobby.

If the OP is serious about this, he'll have to register as a business with ebay.

And how difficult would that be?

How much profit or how many items do you think I could ship out without finding myself in trouble?

I've just done a search and there are some good threads, it seems to be a bit of a grey area.

Nothing wrong with the idea except that everyone and his grandma are doing it. Have at it, but stay legal. It only takes an interested customs official showing up at your local post office with some of your seized packages asking... "who is sending these (insert illegal item here: counterfeit football jersies, t-shirts, shoes, bags, etc.) in great quantity?" Somchai or Somying the helpful postal clerk then points in your (or your peon's) direction and says... oh, that would be that pasty fat guy over there. "Thanks."

:o

I buy and sell watches on ebay over here.

It works for me but I only do it as a hobby.

If the OP is serious about this, he'll have to register as a business with ebay.

And how difficult would that be?

How much profit or how many items do you think I could ship out without finding myself in trouble?

I've just done a search and there are some good threads, it seems to be a bit of a grey area.

Not difficult at all to trade.

You will however be liable to scrutiny by tax inspectors.

And you'll have a guarantee commitment which ebay will hold you to in case of complaint.

Also, read Heng's post and take note.

There are internet snoops just waiting for you to slip up.

I know guys over here who've had to cough up plenty after being caught selling pirate copies of football shirts, watches and CDs.

P.S. I only buy and sell genuine stuff and I have no probs.

As a private seller you can post a written guarantee waiver.

Edited by qwertz

There used to be loads of cash in fake football shirts. You should already have a handle on the Rugby World Cup and be lined up to supply already if you're into that. Not the margins there once were and like some say, every man woman and dog is trying it but like most people they bullshit saying they are doing great but they are still driving around in a 10yr old motor and 6 months behind on the mortgage etc. Most people make bugger all.

I do ok. I have some issues I deal with but I moved out of one by one ordering ages ago and prefer now to sit in the middle, taking commissions. That said, I may move back into direct selling with a couple of new ideas which I need to finish research on.

From the Thai end, you've go to make sure it actually leaves the post office, then the district, then the country. A lot doesn't, even legal stuff. There are thieves at every point in the system.

Just a bit of advice and feel free to PM me if you want but work backwards in your calculations. If you want $10 per deal then start there and see what price you have to charge. I feel you will end up having difficulties if you are doing any work. Drop me a line.

A friend of mine had been selling counterfeits on eBay and he was arrested by trading standard upon return to the UK. :o

Exactly what I meant.

A Breiting Bentley was offered here on ebay for auction or €150 immediate sale.

I mailed the man and asked if it was genuine; his answer "Genuine for €150? Don't make me laugh."

He disappeared from ebay soon after that.

Another had his dole stopped after someone blew the whistle on him.

Stay straight and there's no problem.

Just remember, buying counterfeits is not illegal, selling them is.

And don't ever forget, you're being watched.

Must be some sad people out there who snitch on someone selling a few fake shirts or the odd fake watch. probably the same people who buy copy DVDs and smuggled tobacco etc.

I agree with the legal arguments put here but lets face it, plod has better things to do than track down such people and if you have half a brain, they will never know who you are.

Must be some sad people out there who snitch on someone selling a few fake shirts or the odd fake watch. probably the same people who buy copy DVDs and smuggled tobacco etc.

I agree with the legal arguments put here but lets face it, plod has better things to do than track down such people and if you have half a brain, they will never know who you are.

Torrenova, it may be just snitches or defrauded buyers, I don't know, but this I can tell you: there are law firms here who employ cheap labour to cruise ebay all day and finger the possible counterfeiters.

The firm then approaches the real manufacturer and offers to sue the vendors on a no hit-no fee basis.

The big football clubs and sportswear manufacturers use them.

UK sounds like a nazi state.

Nearer to the truth than you think, look at my address. :o

But they have branches in the UK too, it's lucrative work.

They do make money from ebay.

Haha qwertz, you crack me up! :D

I use to have a roommate who was an exchange student from Germany; we were both very fond of risque humour. One day we were comparing stereotypes about our respective countries ("What, so you mean all Germans don't run around in lederhosen and drink beer out of big steins all the time?" "What, so Canadians aren't all lumberjacks who live in igloos?"). After I revealed that one of my cousins is a lumberjack, and he noted that people from Bavaria do drink beer out of big steins, I said "hey, do something German!", and out of the blue, he did a Hitler salute. I nearly fell off my chair laughing. :D

CG, If I'm giving you a chuckle or two I'm glad to have justified my existence; enjoy, it's free.

Yes, the Germans are gradually learning to laugh about their past again.

My father in law (RIP) loved a good argument about WW2.

He once told me about his march all the way to Stalingrad and how hard he was.

I agreed and told him if only the Germans hadn't left their footprints in the snow when they retreated, the Russians might not have followed them to Germany.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention to torrenova, these law firms are said to pay bonuses to their diligent snitches too.

Edited by qwertz

Just remember, buying counterfeits is not illegal, selling them is.

Your sure about that, I thought it was an offence to knowingly buy counterfeits?

At least not in Germany.

The police and customs attitude is - how can we prove it was knowingly bought?

It also depends on the amount you're carrying, the customs write their own rules.

If it's on the current hot list it can be confiscated but the buyer is rarely fined.

The last time the customs searched my bags in Hamburg I noticed the officers were wearing Rolex copy watches.

Knowingly paying someone to counterfeit things for you however is a different story.