Thai Tennis Open

I am thinking of attending the Thai Tennis Open later this year for the first time. I am looking for advice from those who have attended before on what's the best way to approach this. I live in LOS so don't need advice on accomodations or things like that. What I want to know about is any tips on geting to the venue, Muang Thang Thani, what might be the best days to attend, and what seats to get.

Also, how does it work? THe Thai Ticket Master site has prices listed at like a daily entry ticket price and then another price "per session." What does this mean? Do you add the prices together to get the ticket price and does this mean that you are buying a ticket to a specific match or what?

I am already planning to most likely only attend nite-time matches to avoid the sun and heat as it is my understanding that the matches are played at an outdoor venue. Is that correct?

Also, any tips on getting out to MTT from the central Bangkok area would be appreciated. Is it best to just cab it out there and back or some combo of skytrain/subway/taxi?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am thinking of attending the Thai Tennis Open later this year for the first time. I am looking for advice from those who have attended before on what's the best way to approach this. I live in LOS so don't need advice on accomodations or things like that. What I want to know about is any tips on geting to the venue, Muang Thang Thani, what might be the best days to attend, and what seats to get.

Also, how does it work? THe Thai Ticket Master site has prices listed at like a daily entry ticket price and then another price "per session." What does this mean? Do you add the prices together to get the ticket price and does this mean that you are buying a ticket to a specific match or what?

I am already planning to most likely only attend nite-time matches to avoid the sun and heat as it is my understanding that the matches are played at an outdoor venue. Is that correct?

Also, any tips on getting out to MTT from the central Bangkok area would be appreciated. Is it best to just cab it out there and back or some combo of skytrain/subway/taxi?

I'm assuming things are as they were the past couple of years at the Muang Thani events center. If so, the matches are held indoors. There are two sessions held daily--day and evening. Of course, the evening sessions generally have the best matches probably because they are the best attended. I can't tell you about the thai ticket master "daily entry ticket price" as I am not familiar with that concept. I do know that there is rarely a bad seat in the house, as compared to the US Open, where there is rarely a good seat in the house (leastwise at a decent price). Most of the seats are located within a decent distance from the courts and you will likely get a good if not great look at the players. In the past, guys like Federer, Safin, Blake, Murray, Ljubijic, Roddick and of course Roddick have participated in the tournament.

As with any tournament, the tickets for the semis and finals are hardest to obtain, as they are played on the weekend. Which days to attend is a personal preference, in my book. Often, I find the final to be the most boring match of the tournament. I find the quarterfinal matches, or semi-finals the best days to attend because with more matches naturally you have a better chance of seeing a great match. Finally, watching Paradorn (or maybe now Danai) as the best attended matches, with lots of Thai entertainment between the games (drum beating and lots of cheering and screaming).

There are minivans to the tournament. I have only caught the minivans going back since I don't know where you catch the minivans in central Bangkok. They end up dropping you off at Victory Monument near Phahonyotin Road. If you don't know where that is, you are better off catching a taxi, which will run you about 150 baht plus tollway fees. Good luck! Maybe i will see you there.

Edited by mauiguy90

Mauiguy: Thanks for the info...

Further...how long does it generally take to get to the MTT arena? Also, what are the start times for the day and evening sessions?

Hey JonnieB,

From mid Sukhumvit, using the tollway (tangduan), it takes about 40 minutes or so by taxi. Its a pretty convoluted route especially when you get close to MTT, the taxi will probably take a couple of u turns and such which seem suspicious but are apparently necessary to get there.

Don't know the exact start times for day sessions. I think night sessions start 6-6:30 pm. Also, in the past, all night matches were covered by local television. Khun Andrew, who I think is Australian who speaks thai fluently, does some match commentary.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Further...how long does it generally take to get to the MTT arena? Also, what are the start times for the day and evening sessions?

Johnny B,

Tickets for the Thailand Open apparently went on sale last week. I just picked up tickets the other day from the thaiticketmaster location at Central Chidlom 6th floor. You can order tickets online at http://www.thaiticketmaster.com/sport/atp2007_eng.php . Tickets for the first 3 days are cheap 500/800 baht per ticket. Tickets for the quarters/semis/finals are a bit higher at 1000/1500 baht per ticket. You can also get more detail at the Thailand Open website, which should be listed on the ticketmaster website. See you there!

Day; 11-12 am depending on tournament day

Evening; Usually about 7pm

http://www.thaiticketmaster.com/sport/atp2007-matcheng.htm

How long getting there ?

Depends on when you leave Bkk/Sukhumvit.

I drive and going to a day session at 11am or so, I can get there in 20 minutes.

No traffic on Sat or Sun mornings.

If I were to leave at say 5pm to catch an evening session I would hit the

commute traffic back out of the city and it could take an hour or more.

I would never do that.

I sometimes go all day and catch both day and evening sessions.

But that burns one out fast though.

I prefer the early rounds seeing players I have never heard of.

They are exceptionally good and I love seeing their different techniques.

You think you have seen it all and this unknown fellow shows you

a FH technique that you have never seen before. Great fun.

Enjoy ..... Rafa will be here this year I am told.

Edited by paulfr

• 1 month later...

To Johnnie B. and any others attending the Thailand Open,

Just made a quick trip to qualifying tournament of the Thailand Open. FYI, there is a shuttle service from Mochit BTS station, which can be found in the parking lot next to the station. It is called the IMPACT link, costs 30 baht a trip and takes about 30 minutes to get to the arena in good traffic. You need to buy a ticket from the BTS platform (Ladprao side) at an office called Total Reservations, which is located close to the bakery Yamazaki. FYI the bus drivers will not accept cash so make sure you buy the ticket before going to the shuttle in the parking lot. The shuttle runs only until 10 pm so you will probably have to take a taxi or find another shuttle service(on the main road leading to the IMPACT arena) to get home.

Enjoy the tournament!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Just a few observations about the Thailand Open. I just came back from watching the day session at the Thai Open today. Saw a good match with Canadian Dancevic and Argentinean Del Potro. Del Potro is an up and coming player, as are most Argentineans and looked unbeatable in the 2nd set. Dancevic looked like he was beaten after almost losing the 2nd set 6-0 (lost it 6-1 eventually) but then he proceeded to make a good effort in the 3rd set. Again looked done when he lost serve at 2-2 but finally came back to tie it at 4-4 then later won the tiebreaker.

A funny but probably irritating thing for players (I would think) happens when the ball boys do give the players their towels between points. Its not their fault but after the ball boys collect the towels, they immediately throw them on the ground until the next point. Don't think the players are thrilled to wipe their faces with dirty towels. Rather absurd for a tournament that has hopes of being a highly regarded tournament which could be simply resolved by sticking a stool or something else to place the towels on (as happens in most tournaments.)