Customs Duty On Shipment

lotus eater

I am about to have a container of household effects shipped. Shippers quotations of course exclude customs duty - and on the phone they talk about 'tea money' in lieu. However they will not - at least not so far to me - be pressed into putting an approximate figure to this tea money. My stuff is mostly books and after that very normal stuff and personal bits and pieces.

I'd be interested to know the level of tea money people who've shipped a container have been hit for. Realize amounts will vary and depend on the clearer's contacts and sheer luck, among other things - but still any actual figures will be better than the zero info I presently have. Just want to foresee/budget my overall costs.

I run the Eastern Seaboard office of a shipping company and we have handled many times such imports in the past.

What is your status in Thailand? Do you have a Work Permit? Returning citizen? In that case your goods are most likely duty-free.

If the above does not apply, you have to pay import duties on your goods and your shipping company must be able to give you according to the packing list a good estimate on the duties expected.

There is no need for tea money whatsoever!

First I apologize for this duplicate posting which I tried to stop, but evidently too late.

Secondly I was given to understand that the tea money is in lieu of, not in addition to, to customs duty 'by the book'. But of course you knew that but for whatever reason decided to post 'by the book'.

lotus

i did paid tea money ( about 5000 baht ) half container .

my shipment was under the name of a Thai student , who return to Thailand .

the tea money was to get everything clear fast, without looking at everything .

First I apologize for this duplicate posting which I tried to stop, but evidently too late.

Secondly I was given to understand that the tea money is in lieu of, not in addition to, to customs duty 'by the book'. But of course you knew that but for whatever reason decided to post 'by the book'.

Dear Lotus Eater, as I said, there is no need for any tea money which technically is bribing and illegal in Thailand. That's all I can say on a public forum. :o

We had to pay customs here when our stuff arrived from the Netherlands a few years ago (1 container load) or they would not release it to us. I can not remember exactly how much it was now, about 20,000 THB I think.