Gecko Poison

dave111223

I agree with most here and just learn to live with them, in fact I quite like them. Our collection are very territorial, we have one perminant resident in most every room and the only time they seem to make a fuss is if the boundries are crossed, those living outside stay there. Not well house trained unfortunatley but do superb job of keeping the bugs at bay.

The gecko assigned to my office had taken to aiming his/her bowls into my printer so a strategicaly located newspaper at least has that room covered. :o

turn on all the gas outlets in the house, close all the windows and sit down on the sofa and read a good book until the geckos are all dead.

:o:D Love this post, t.s!

Not much to add. I'm another jin-jok fan. And tokays, for that matter (even got a gecko tatt, like you, eek! :D ). I can't understand why anyone would want to kill something that kills so many bugs. And they're really cute & inoffensive - shame! :D:D

Exactamundo!

They are cute & can be entertaining to watch.

Last visit, I sent TW over 2 weeks before I went. She claimed to see none before I got there.

I reckon they were waiting until it was safe for them.;-)

Got a couple of Siamese cats and have noticed that the gecko populations have reduced.

My cat frequently catches one (sometimes with the assistance of my girlfriend and broom) and devours it. I was initially horrified anticipating it would make the cat ill. Is there anything toxic there at all for a cat?

Only if you've just sprayed the gecko with bug spray :o

All kidding aside, my cat ate them when she was a youngster and suffered no ill effects. In fact, she lived to 16 years of age. Miss her still, but I am sure the geckos don't :D

Relieved. Sounds like they are an elixir rather than a poison.

Speking of relief - a lot of complaints here about their shit.....Never noticed it. What does it look like? Or maybe mine don't get to live that long.

:o Good job you aren't in Australia!! AU$5,000 for everyone you kill-they are protected here!!

But in Asia they mainly eat mosquitoes and moths-thats a good thing!

Learn to live with them and be grateful that's all you have to worry about!!

Some people have bombs dropping on their heads!!

Everyone has covered the insect eating aspect but I would add the Khmer think them good luck.

If you're freaked out they will come off the walla nd attack you, they wont. Youll never see one on the floor.

I love jinjok but tukae are too noisy. I call the small ones in my flat 'little guy' and clear them out of my room as I can because there is nothing to eat.

chucok: that is a tukae

> GASP... you could just shoot it with roach spray, with the long thin nozzle. but may you come back many times for killing poor little jinjoks.

Edited by theseveredhead

1. try to find out why they like your home and get rid of what is attracting them.

2. find out what they dont like and put it in your home.

3. sonic screamer

poisoning things does not work well and is not good for the humans either - ie you poison your self as well.

My uncle used to have a sonic screamer that you plug in the wall that would probably be more effective unless you have a dog. Then you will have a seriously stressed out dog.

My farmhouse has plenty of lizards (at least 4-5 different species...they all seem to get along ok). As it's Thai built from timber there are lots of places for them to come in so no point in trying to eradicate them. We'll just have to agree to live together, but I have to sweep out their droppings morning and night (they must eat a lot).

Just as there's plenty of entry points for lizards there's access for other creatures not quite so benign such as scorpions, spiders, centipedes, etc. Even a snake could find it's way in if it wanted.

Mostly I worry about scorpions as I'm least familiar with these. Anyone know where in the food chain they stand...ie..will lizards eat scorpions ? What does eat scorpions ?

I think the story of that Welsh guy has made me a bit paranoid.

turn on all the gas outlets in the house, close all the windows and sit down on the sofa and read a good book until the geckos are all dead.

You forgot the bit about lighting a fag around page 3.

(Of course if the fag objects, just give him 10 baht for the next baht bus back to Pattayaland)

really, you don't want to kill the geckos, because when you do, you've got other problems. the geckos eat an insane ammount of bugs every night, and if they're getting into your house, that means they're finding enough food to stay there, so you'll have a whole new set of problems to deal with if you kill them. basically, the geckos are extra little vacuum cleaners that get the annoying bits of dust that try to run away.

all in all, it's a matter of environmental hygiene. if you want a house full of bugs, go for it, by all means, because no matter how many geckos there are, no matter how annoying they are (not very), no matter how gross they are (they aren't, compared with the alternative), you're probably going to have some other problem in the bug department if you get rid of them.

wow, I sound like a hippy.

• 1 year later...

I have a big house and the gecko shit outside the house is incredible. I love the geckos as very cute animals but their poop is a lot of work to clean. If I had maids who clean everything, I wouldn't even care about the poop.

Some of them who manage to come in despite screens are so incredibly fast, I cannot catch them anymore. And I was proud to be a good catcher.

I would not want to harm them but also want them out and would like reduced numbers. I understand that readers were repulsed by the cold heartedness of Dave and I would not suggest he vacuums them anymore as this is terribly cruel.

But some people get freaked out by too much poop and want to keep their houses clean. So a lot of answers here were pretty hostile. Dave should know about the karma of killing and being cruel to animals but using the language here is answering cruelty with hatred. O.k. some were pretty darn funny.

I have started to throw them into our fruittrees from the balcony and I am amazed that after just one evening of doing that, they are now all hiding when I step out onto the lanai. I mean they ALL SEEM TO KNOW what I am going to do. Wow. But some of them are incredibly fast. These are not geckos but a lizard which changes colors.

I simply don't have flies inside the house and I don't want gecko poop inside the house. So I am also looking for a way to catch them with a liquid so I can safely throw them out where they belong. In nature -- that is. Dave has been cruel to geckos and I hope he is not vacuuming them ever again. Please Dave, don't do that.

But --- hey guys and gals, wishing him to die is a bit strong as well.

I

There is a product that you can buy which I've seen on the street in chinatown markets which sell rat and ant poison, that you put in your house and it stops the geckos from attaching to any surface . You sweep them up or catch them and take them outside

If you want to kill the little lizards, you must really love bugs. The geckos eat them you see, so be prepared to fight a double battle...

Nature is strange that way...

:o I admit I have a soft spot for those guys. We used to have them in Vietnam. They ate the mosquitos and other flies, so we just lived with them in our hooches. My OIC had one in his office once. He was a young guy, just out of officer training. Barely old enough to shave properly. Anyhow he walked into his office and saw this Gecko on the wall. "First Sargent", he yelled, "What's this d##m lizard doing in my office?"

The Gecko (we called them <deleted> You lizards from the sound they made) looked at my OIC and said clearly, "<deleted> YOU, <deleted> YOU)".

Good times.

:D

It is very interesting that the OP asks how to kill geckos and for an answer he gets 3 pages of social commentary. :o Although I may agree with the philosophy of not killing geckos, the OP states that he wants to kill them so the answer to the question is to place glue boards or sticky traps near a strong light source. My home is virtually insect free without using any poisons since I use alot of glue traps along the baseboards to catch crawling insects and they also eliminate the geckos along with centipedes, millipedes, scorpions, roaches, etc.

I see someone revived my thread.

Through vigilant gecko vacuuming i have managed to pretty much win the battle versus the lizards.

Although i have conceded the balcony where i allow them to hang around, they no longer come inside the condo.

The last one to come inside was probably a 3 or 4 months ago. They seem to have learned that the balcony door is the point of no return.