Thai women and african-american relationships

mvdubu

I have heard it said (er, I read) that the Thai people and, most importantly to me, Thai women don't like Blacks.

Say it ain't so? We are thinking about visiting for some R & R in 2004 and would like to know if our dollars should be spent somewhere else in Asia....Thanks.

From what I have seen and heard in Thailand, the Thai's just unfortunately have a general distrust of blacks.  Now this is just from my observations and maybe others have seen different.  I think it might stem from the large number of Nigerians in the country that are always trying to run scams on people and this topic is well publicized in the local press.  Once again, this is just what I have observed and not necessarily the total truth.  You should always try forming your own opinion.  From my travels through Asia and many conversations with other Asia traveler's, it seems the Philippines is more acceptable to people of all race's.  I am not sure though.

In short, from what I read on other forums, you will have no problems at all.

Remember, Thai people have more contact with Black Americans than Africans.

It seems your demeanour and possibly dress sense will count far more in making an impression.

Thais are not more racist than anyone else.

I have never seen a post on a forum concerned with a black american/brit suffering abuse.

Mine you, I'm not overly keen on any Americans from the USA.  ::o:

You see, you can face preconceptions anywhere. Go and have a good time. Leave a beautiful footprint.

In my experience...Black tourists are most welcome (as much as any other tourist is). I agree with tripxcore about the Nigerians. There are a lot of them in BKK - especially around the clothes markets are export company areas - who are well known for being aggressive. This may not be particularly fair either, it seems to me it is simply their style of bartering etc - Asians just do not respond well to this apparant aggressiveness.

In the sticks you may get the odd look etc, (so do farang for that), but it is doubtfull you will see any animosity. Just realise this is because you are a novelty.

PS: You may find some bar girls a little wary - the rumours of 'Black-man tool size' is universal I believe.

You may be called Kon See Dum (meaning literally black person) - don't take offence, it is not understood as being in anyway racist, merely discriptive. White people are called farang (which, argueably, comes from farangset - french)

I have seen some anti black sentiment from bar girls in Pattaya but a black brit friend who I used to meet every year in Pattaya never had any problems and always had a very good time here.

Its what YOU make of it

Best of Luck