Farang Motorcycle Snobs In Pattaya

bobbin

There is a Charity Run being held here in Pattaya today, with the proceeds going to one of the several worthy causes here. The entry fee is Baht 1000. The farang organizers are a few of the (wannabe Hells Angels) local motorcycle groups (wannabe "outlaws"). They even got some television coverage to publicize the event.

The only problem was that bikes of less than 250cc's were not welcome! So no CBR 150's. no Phantoms or Kawasaki Boss motorcycles.

There is no question the above mentioned bikes are capable of staying up with their "Hogs" on a run. The fact that more money could have been raised for their chosen charity seems not to have been considered. So to bolster their "image" they raise less money to help unfortunates than they could have done if they were more inclusive.

Bad move, boys. :o

There is a Charity Run being held here in Pattaya today, with the proceeds going to one of the several worthy causes here. The entry fee is Baht 1000. The farang organizers are a few of the (wannabe Hells Angels) local motorcycle groups (wannabe "outlaws"). They even got some television coverage to publicize the event.

The only problem was that bikes of less than 250cc's were not welcome! So no CBR 150's. no Phantoms or Kawasaki Boss motorcycles.

There is no question the above mentioned bikes are capable of staying up with their "Hogs" on a run. The fact that more money could have been raised for their chosen charity seems not to have been considered. So to bolster their "image" they raise less money to help unfortunates than they could have done if they were more inclusive.

Now bob, I can understand your frustration and agree totally that more money could nave been raised for the charities had smaller cc bikes been allowed to enter. On this part I agree entirely and personally feel that as the event is for charity, exceptions could be made (but not for Honda Waves though :D ).

On the otherhand, you've shown your own form of snobbery by referring to the local motorcycle groups as "wannabe Hells Angels" and "wannabe "outlaws"" and by assuming that the only reason these events take place is to 'booster their image'.

I guess they were right to exclude riders of smaller bikes after all, if this is the type of attitude they have towards riders of larger machines

I've met a few of these guys in Pattaya and what's refreshing is that they show none of that boring aggression occasionally found in certain motorcycle 'groups' in the west.

Decent guys with whom to have a beer. They just enjoy riding Harleys, that's all.

What's your problem?

I think you got this all wrong, the charity run was started by Jesters back in 99 and they are not what you describe, driving a Harley dont make you an outlaw, and if all "thai bikes" were allowed, then how would there be room enough in Pattaya, it would be floated with bikes.

I have been in that run several times, and enjoyed it. Instead of acting like a pist-off childpassifier.gif, then start your own run for local bikes, or get one with some more CC.cool.gif

Chill out dude.

Well you don't have to ride a motorbike around to give money to charity. Find out where the money is going and send your 1000 baht.

That should satisfy you if it is the charty you are concerned about.

(you could even ride your Dream around a bit on your own if it makes you feel better)

In your Dream(s) :D

You first!!

And BTW this was not a Jesters sponsored Run. They have proved themselves to be very community-minded, and my (crash) hat is off to them.

The sponsors of this run included Mad Dogs , Bad Boys etc and my original description of their style stands.

They can't find me thru this forum can they? :o

Not sure of their reasoning, but i've been on a couple of runs not in Pattaya- a big problem is thai kids with their 100cc bikes jumping in, showing off, riding like idiots thru the line. Other than that i've never seen a problem at a thai bike event- no guns, knives or fights. Bikers (HD or any other big bike owners) in thailand, thai or farang, are overall real decent people.

Let me put the record straight. The event was organised by members from all the Motorcycle Clubs in Chonburi in aid of the Sawang Boriboon Rescue service to raise money to buy and equip an ambulance every penny raised was placed in a secure bank account until they have enough funds.

We raised over 400,000 baht on the day no small task, and will be repeating the event some time in November.

Many people and small business contributed to the fund that did not ride on the day.

The 150 plus bikes took up over 1 kilometer of road the logistics of marshalling organising stops with enough parking and getting everyone home safe through at times heavy traffic and more than our fair share of traffic lights was not something we only thought of on the day hence we had to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

As for the wannabee remarks, we are who we are a bunch of guys who like to ride big motorcycles nothing more nothing less.

I am certain if you have the misfortune to be picked up from the road by Sawang Boriboon they wont ask you the cc of your motorcycle first if that makes you feel an better.

Gremlin

I'm honestly pleased to hear that your Charity Run raised 400,000 Baht. My point was that if you had been more inclusive you would have raised much much more.

There are literally hundreds of Pattaya residents who ride the 150-200cc Thai made bikes. Many of us are true motorcycle enthusiasts who enjoy the two-wheel experience, which is the same no matter what machine you are riding.

Your groups could have acted as Road Marshals.

BTW, I have often times been on Runs many times larger than 150 bikes.

You first!!

And BTW this was not a Jesters sponsored Run. They have proved themselves to be very community-minded, and my (crash) hat is off to them.

The sponsors of this run included Mad Dogs , Bad Boys etc and my original description of their style stands.

Just wondering,

who are Mad Dog mc.

They turned up at a food and beer joint in Issan.

Back patches, boots and all.

But when they left it was by mini bus/van.

You first!!

Just wondering,

who are Mad Dog mc.

There butts would hurt to much if they have to drive a Harley from Bangkok to Isaan.

I had an small incouter with 2 of them in a bar in Bangkok a few years back, and they aint that tough, as they want to be.

Regards

Gremlin

I'm honestly pleased to hear that your Charity Run raised 400,000 Baht. My point was that if you had been more inclusive you would have raised much much more.

There are literally hundreds of Pattaya residents who ride the 150-200cc Thai made bikes. Many of us are true motorcycle enthusiasts who enjoy the two-wheel experience, which is the same no matter what machine you are riding.

Your groups could have acted as Road Marshals.

BTW, I have often times been on Runs many times larger than 150 bikes.

Well as they say you cant please all the people all the time.

I have suggestion for you get the hundreds on smaller cc bikes together and organise your own event. I am sure the Sawang Boriboon Rescue would be happy to receve money to enable them to purchase the Ambulance sooner rather than latter.

In fact I would be happy to stick my neck out and organise a meet with you guys to pass on our experince of getting a large group around the provence.

• 2 weeks later...

Should of let the 150 cc boys in too, more coin more people, better blast all round. It increases the size the 'pack' thats a good thing, if people can't ride a bike properly then they'll learn the hard way or learn on the fly.

Thailands for the adventure and riding pleasures, its important to keep that spirit going. The bike clubs are ok in LOS. I've found a few (in Hua Hin) to be a bit snobbish and lame compared with other places in BKK etc. Could be worse, could be better.

No response Bobbin? lets say i am hardly surprised, talk is cheep, money buys ambulances. :o

Gremlin

While I appreciate the offer to help organize an "also Run" event, it does not respond to my original post.

Why am I not welcome to participate in your Run simply because the engine in my motorcycle is smaller than the engine in your motorcycle?

Your previous suggestion to simply donate my Baht 1000 to your charity while accepting the fact that I won't be allowed on your Run is disingenuous.

Disingenuous: definition. not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating

Both of your suggestions merely reinforce your non-inclusive policy.

Why are my choices either to donate without the fun part or organize my own Run? I have already posted that I am pleased you raised Baht 400,000. This acknowledges your efforts and the planning that went into the event.

I want to join your event, not start my own. :D

Edited by bobbin

Just wondering,

who are Mad Dog mc.

Ask the ladyboys in the sally bar in Jomtien, they know them well :o

Yeah, it surprised me too. Not what i expected from 'ard looking bikers. Must be a yin and yang thing

[quote

I want to join your event, not start my own. :o

Then buy a bigger bike. Or rent one for the day. Its pretty simple- a big bike run is for big bikes.

The cut-off was 250cc. The Honda CBR is 150cc. Kawasaki Boss 175cc. The Honda Phantom is 200cc. There is no Thai motorcycle that qualifies. See my sub-title to the thread.

Any of the above Thai bikes are capable of staying with the pack.

Next thing you know, they'll screaming in the streets to allow tricycles, rollerblades, and wheelchairs into the event.

Start a club, dude. Personally, I don't see how anyone would want to come down and watch a horde of little bikes go by. Harleys, Triumphs, and Indians are not only rare in Thailand, but a treat to be seen (and heard) no matter where you are.

Anybody feel me on that?