South To North By Train In 2 Days Incl Kanchanaburi

nokia

Hi folks,

I'm planning to travel from South (Surat Thani), to North (Chiang Mai), with a stopover in Kanchanaburi by train in 2 days during October.

If i depart from Surat on any overnight train, i'll reach Nakhon Pathom before 0800 hrs, transfer to train257 at 0853 hrs for Kanchanaburi, and hopefully reach Nam Tok by 1220hrs. Then I'll do a u-turn at 1258hrs, going back to Nakhon Pathom by 1623 hrs or Thonburi / Noi station by 1735 hrs and transfer to Hualamphong either by a train or bus respectively. Then hopefully again catch a overnite train to Chiang Mai, departing 1920, 1935 or 2000 hrs . If the trains are full, the alternative will be a bus from Mor Chit to Chiang Mai.

The train timings are from http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm. And any delay will probably will mean spending a night in BKK's hotel which i'm trying to avoid if possible. Any comments or advice especially on the transfer between Nakhon Pathom/Thonburi to Hualamphong? Thanks.

Cheers!

...and hopefully reach Nam Tok by 1220hrs. Then I'll do a u-turn at 1258hrs...

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing the immediate turnaround? Just for the sake of having made the trip to the end of the Nam Tok rail spur?

Any comments or advice especially on the transfer between Nakhon Pathom/Thonburi to Hualamphong? Thanks.

The buses from Nakhon Pathom are more frequent than the trains. Just walk south from the train station a couple blocks towards the temple and you will see the bus queues for Bangkok.

If you do take the train to Thonburi, be advised that the train station is no longer right on the river. It's now about a half-kilometer inland from the river.

Best bet in Bangkok is to simply take a taxi from wherever you wind up arriving straight to Hualamphong.

makes 3 days to me, all together

1.all trips can be booked (and should for a good night rest in the sleeper) at any SRT station with computers, also at PunPin=Surat station. start at haad yai (if youre not too scared about rebellions) for a longer and full trip So to NO

2.expect DELAYS; the quoted times are just paper. Ive NEVER seen overnight ex South into BKK less as 1 hr late.

3.actually the JUNCTION for the main line south toward Kan is called NONG PLADUK, a tiny wayside halt. all stoping trains stop, and only some of the expresses.

4.the Morning train toward Kan ex BKk ONLY does 100 bt special seats for farang, ditto the return,

5.the slow train ex Kan/Nam Tok (means just waterfall, but the actual things are near dry in dry season and a few kms on), ends at BKk- TALAD THONBURI and NOT at the former NOI anymore, thats NOT on the river and NOT where all guidebooks still say it is. as you arrive in the mid of BKK's evening peak, its jammed up all the way to HLpong by taxi

6.check times (I dont have them at hand here for any possible later/connecting trains ex South [f.e. the diesel ex Hua Hin) that switch off this line into Noi and go as all expresses do over the bridge into bangSue, then SamSen and finnaly HLPong=main.

7.as ALL trains North/isan ALSO stop at these stations, you avoid 2x12 kms andf potential awful delays by not doubling up this section. In fact many trains will WAIT loose connections THERE. And if youve got more time at hand, an excellent TescoLotus hypermarket with good foodcourt is just 3 mins from there, behind the cement factory

if youre a dedicated railfan: the forum on 2bangkok.com is far more knowledgeable as seat61 (which mainly repeats dumb tourist moanings)

8.BUSES ex Kan (busstation is some 3 kms from SRT, all passing Nakorn Patom) and even far more ex NPatom (special AC express, very close to SRT) end at SAI THAI=BKK';s southern terminal which by now is likely to have moved t some NEW location much further west and NOT shown on any normal map.

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing the immediate turnaround? Just for the sake of having made the trip to the end of the Nam Tok rail spur?

The buses from Nakhon Pathom are more frequent than the trains. Just walk south from the train station a couple blocks towards the temple and you will see the bus queues for Bangkok.

If you do take the train to Thonburi, be advised that the train station is no longer right on the river. It's now about a half-kilometer inland from the river.

Best bet in Bangkok is to simply take a taxi from wherever you wind up arriving straight to Hualamphong.

I'm doing the u-turn because i've not been to Nam Tok, but i've been to Kanchanaburi. Besides the scenic journey along the river from Kanchanaburi, i dont think there's much to see at Nam Tok unless going further to Hellfire Pass.

It seems that any train delay plus the infamous BKK traffic jam may make it rather a tight deadline to reach Hualamphong in 2-3hours for the overnight train to CM.

makes 3 days to me, all together

1.all trips can be booked (and should for a good night rest in the sleeper) at any SRT station with computers, also at PunPin=Surat station. start at haad yai (if youre not too scared about rebellions) for a longer and full trip So to NO

2.expect DELAYS; the quoted times are just paper. Ive NEVER seen overnight ex South into BKK less as 1 hr late.

3.actually the JUNCTION for the main line south toward Kan is called NONG PLADUK, a tiny wayside halt. all stoping trains stop, and only some of the expresses.

4.the Morning train toward Kan ex BKk ONLY does 100 bt special seats for farang, ditto the return,

5.the slow train ex Kan/Nam Tok (means just waterfall, but the actual things are near dry in dry season and a few kms on), ends at BKk- TALAD THONBURI and NOT at the former NOI anymore, thats NOT on the river and NOT where all guidebooks still say it is. as you arrive in the mid of BKK's evening peak, its jammed up all the way to HLpong by taxi

6.check times (I dont have them at hand here for any possible later/connecting trains ex South [f.e. the diesel ex Hua Hin) that switch off this line into Noi and go as all expresses do over the bridge into bangSue, then SamSen and finnaly HLPong=main.

7.as ALL trains North/isan ALSO stop at these stations, you avoid 2x12 kms andf potential awful delays by not doubling up this section. In fact many trains will WAIT loose connections THERE. And if youve got more time at hand, an excellent TescoLotus hypermarket with good foodcourt is just 3 mins from there, behind the cement factory

if youre a dedicated railfan: the forum on 2bangkok.com is far more knowledgeable as seat61 (which mainly repeats dumb tourist moanings)

8.BUSES ex Kan (busstation is some 3 kms from SRT, all passing Nakorn Patom) and even far more ex NPatom (special AC express, very close to SRT) end at SAI THAI=BKK';s southern terminal which by now is likely to have moved t some NEW location much further west and NOT shown on any normal map.

1. Yup, i plan to start at Hatyai, and take a bus (4 hours?) to Surat. I didnt know i can book all trips at one SRT station (ie Surat) but i'm worried about missing or being late for the final leg to CM after booking the tickets.

2. Yes delays are common, even BKK-CM trains can be 1-2 hrs late in reaching CM.

3. Interesting name for a rail junction, Nong Pladuk, i wonder what it means.

4. I hope the 100baht seats will not be fully sold out else i'll be stranded somewhere out there (Nakorn Pathom, Nam Tok etc)

5. From the new BKk- TALAD THONBURI, it will be mission impossible to reach Hualamphone by taxi, tuktuk or any form of transport within 2hours.

6. Well, it may be possible to catch a BKK bound train from Nakorn Pathom (after alighting from the train NamTok-Thonburi), catching train262 at 1659hrs or train40 at 1815hrs and reaching Hualamphong at 1845hrs/1935 hrs respectively.

7. Are you saying that Nong Pladuk is a common intersection for south & north/issan trains so that i even have time to go shopping at Lotus?

8. With the new Southern bus terminal moved to Phutthamonthon Sai 1 in late September 2007, i have absolutely no idea where is it, so i will avoid this terminal if possible and remain a rail fan.

Re 7

The common intersection for south/north/northeast lines is at Bang Sue Junction.

As Asanee says, u r better off getting a train from Nakhon Pathom to Bang Sue & picking up a north bound train from there.

There are more trains running than are shown on the computer - go to a train station [Had Yai is good for this] & get the paper timetables that show all trains. There are a lot of commuter & ordinary trains that run to BKK.

The platform for south bound trains is separate from north/ne trains by about 100 yards at Bang Sue.

Even if u think u r running late keep going coz the trains r often late out of BKK. travel time from hualamphong to Bang Sue is 45 minutes

If u do miss out Mor Chit is close by...........

Edited by my friend I

Re 7

The common intersection for south/north/northeast lines is at Bang Sue Junction.

As Asanee says, u r better off getting a train from Nakhon Pathom to Bang Sue & picking up a north bound train from there.

There are more trains running than are shown on the computer - go to a train station [Had Yai is good for this] & get the paper timetables that show all trains. There are a lot of commuter & ordinary trains that run to BKK.

The platform for south bound trains is separate from north/ne trains by about 100 yards at Bang Sue.

Even if u think u r running late keep going coz the trains r often late out of BKK. travel time from hualamphong to Bang Sue is 45 minutes

If u do miss out Mor Chit is close by...........

From http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

it only shows north & north east line stopping at Bang Sue Jn. South lines are shown Nakorn Pathom -> BKK.

Are you sure that All south lines stop at Bang Sue Jn since it is not shown on the paper timetable?

Yup, Mor Chit will be the alternative, but not sure what time is the last bus to CM, maybe 9pm?

From http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

it only shows north & north east line stopping at Bang Sue Jn. South lines are shown Nakorn Pathom -> BKK.

Are you sure that All south lines stop at Bang Sue Jn since it is not shown on the paper timetable?

Yes, all of the southern trains originating/terminating at Hualamphong stop at Bang Sue. Note: there are two sets of platforms at Bang Sue, one for the southern trains and the other for the northern and north-eastern trains.

I'm doing the u-turn because i've not been to Nam Tok, but i've been to Kanchanaburi. Besides the scenic journey along the river from Kanchanaburi, i dont think there's much to see at Nam Tok unless going further to Hellfire Pass.

On the way to Nam Tok, Wampo Viaduct

large.jpg

large.jpg

and then at the end of the line you have at Nam Tok

large.jpg

Saiyok Noi Waterfall. Just walk straight passed the old Steam Engine in the mountain cutting and there is the Waterfall.

Hope this helps you.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

Hi folks,

I'm planning to travel from South (Surat Thani), to North (Chiang Mai), with a stopover in Kanchanaburi by train in 2 days during October.

If i depart from Surat on any overnight train, i'll reach Nakhon Pathom before 0800 hrs, transfer to train257 at 0853 hrs for Kanchanaburi, and hopefully reach Nam Tok by 1220hrs. Then I'll do a u-turn at 1258hrs, going back to Nakhon Pathom by 1623 hrs or Thonburi / Noi station by 1735 hrs and transfer to Hualamphong either by a train or bus respectively. Then hopefully again catch a overnite train to Chiang Mai, departing 1920, 1935 or 2000 hrs . If the trains are full, the alternative will be a bus from Mor Chit to Chiang Mai.

The train timings are from http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm. And any delay will probably will mean spending a night in BKK's hotel which i'm trying to avoid if possible. Any comments or advice especially on the transfer between Nakhon Pathom/Thonburi to Hualamphong? Thanks.

Cheers!

:o we travelled from Kanchanaburi to Surat thani recently on the sleeper what a nightmare eaten to death by mossie and fleas people fartin and snoring and on the hour somebody walking through the compartment selling drinks and food we were in 2nd class suggest u buy 1st class ticket for sleeper as I believe the compartment is for 2 persons only god news is Kanchanaburi is a great place to stay for a 2 day stopover

Yes, all of the southern trains originating/terminating at Hualamphong stop at Bang Sue. Note: there are two sets of platforms at Bang Sue, one for the southern trains and the other for the northern and north-eastern trains.

Yes, Bang Sue Jn is a good option if there's not enough time to reach Hualamphong.

On the way to Nam Tok, Wampo Viaduct

large.jpg

large.jpg

and then at the end of the line you have at Nam Tok

large.jpg

Saiyok Noi Waterfall. Just walk straight passed the old Steam Engine in the mountain cutting and there is the Waterfall.

Hope this helps you.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Very nice pics Kan Win. As i'm doing a u-turn at Namtok, reaching 1220 hrs and leaving 1258 hrs on the same day, i dont think 38 minutes is enough to go to Saiyok Noi Waterfall. How far is Saiyok Noi Waterfall from NamTok ?

:o we travelled from Kanchanaburi to Surat thani recently on the sleeper what a nightmare eaten to death by mossie and fleas people fartin and snoring and on the hour somebody walking through the compartment selling drinks and food we were in 2nd class suggest u buy 1st class ticket for sleeper as I believe the compartment is for 2 persons only god news is Kanchanaburi is a great place to stay for a 2 day stopover

Did you take the airconditioned sleeper or the fan sleeper? Which station did you change trains to go south, Nakorn Pathom?

I'm under a time constraint otherwise i will plan a longer stopover.

Cheers!

Very nice pics Kan Win. (Thank You) As i'm doing a u-turn at Namtok, reaching 1220 hrs and leaving 1258 hrs on the same day, i dont think 38 minutes is enough to go to Saiyok Noi Waterfall. How far is Saiyok Noi Waterfall from NamTok ?

300 to 500 meters or so, never did count my steps. :o

Ask around when you get there.

It would be a shame to go all that way and miss this place (I did miss it the first time around BTW).

Kan Win :D

P.S. More photos of Thailand, just visit my profile page and the link is there "Thailand as I see it" :D

It's been over a year since I travelled between Hua Hin and Chiang Mai by train, but both times the connection was late and I transferred at Bang Sue. The tricky part, as mentioned, is walking over several tracks and then down the 100 yards or so to the other waiting area.

• 2 months later...
It's been over a year since I travelled between Hua Hin and Chiang Mai by train, but both times the connection was late and I transferred at Bang Sue. The tricky part, as mentioned, is walking over several tracks and then down the 100 yards or so to the other waiting area.

I think it's not only tricky, but slower. Since there're mini-vans from Khao San Rd to Kan city, are there also mini-vans going from Kan city to Khao San rd? It should be faster than a train, and from Khao San Rd, i can take a public bus to Mor Chit.

Thanks!