Tourists Attacked On Koh Samui

On Monday of this week, I was over on Samui and my wife had bought one of the daily Thai newspapers. There was a small article in there about a western tourist that had been attacked by a yellow taxi driver concerning a fare.

As we were making our way to Maenam to catch the boat home our regular taxi driver told us the same story, he had said that the guy had been stabbed after a fight had broken out.

I have looked already on both the Nation and the Bangkok Post websites but no mention? Has it been kept quiet?

Has anyone heard about this already?

Maybe high time for a mass boycott of yellow cabs once and for all?

Regards. :o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Monday of this week, I was over on Samui and my wife had bought one of the daily Thai newspapers. There was a small article in there about a western tourist that had been attacked by a yellow taxi driver concerning a fare.

As we were making our way to Maenam to catch the boat home our regular taxi driver told us the same story, he had said that the guy had been stabbed after a fight had broken out.

I have looked already on both the Nation and the Bangkok Post websites but no mention? Has it been kept quiet?

Has anyone heard about this already?

Maybe high time for a mass boycott of yellow cabs once and for all?

Regards. :D

That's what I've been saying the last 3-4 years :o

I Use yellow cabs at least 4 -6 times a month from airport or pier.

We also use the same people for friends business associates and family on arrival.

when you find a good one get there mobile number easy...happily used the same family now for three years.

On the odd ocassion he cannot make the pick up he sends family in Private car.

Bophut to Nathon is 200bht

Airport to bophut 200bht.

To tarnish them all is a bit rough, I am aware however that there are some real Sh*t heads amongst them.

OK, a rough translation via my GF.

Front page news local paper the 7th. On night of 5th Aug. 2 Belgium tourists caught a yellow taxi in early morning from Q Bar to their hotel Malibu Resort. The taxi (#176) asked for 300 baht. The couple refused to pay saying the meter wasnt used. The taxi driver then started hitting both passengers.

Another 2 farang tourists passing by tried to help the 2 Belgiums. The taxi driver then got a knife out of his cab and proceeded to slash all 4 farangs (50 cuts reported). Taxi driver fled the scene. Photo of one farang front page messed up badly. Taken to Bangkok for blood, etc.

Next morning police searched for driver. Found he had gone to Hotel 99 (Bangrak ghost road) for the night and was met next morning by large black car without plates and wisked away. Taxi remained at Hotel 99.

He hasnt been seen since.

Taxi owned by a Samui woman. Driver rented for 18K month (no wonder they need to charge exorbitant fees!?!?)

Very strange neither western paper has picked this up. BIG news!

Also on front page of same Thai paper a story and pic. of an Aussie who had killed his girlfriend in Pattaya after finding she had cheated on him and then he killed himself. Again strange no mention in Bkk Post, etc.???

Anyway not a rumor, and bad/sad for Samui. Kiss the Belgium tourist trade goodbye.

Article was front page plus 1/2 column inside paper. Again, big news I would think????

i spoke with a friend from the local police about this and he said that the driver storry sounded different.

he took the tourist to the hotel afte they agreed on the price and when they got there the tourists try to make a run with out paying him. he then confronted them and had a fight. at some point 2 others joined in and he was taking a beating from them.

he then reurned to the car got a knife and went to close the deal... 1 thai against 4 tourists.

I guess the reason it is not headlined is that it has nothing to do with tourists its got to do with 4 idiots that tried to scam a thai and suffered the consequeces.

I agree with the other posts that argue not to use them untill the have a meter running or use a regular one that gies you acceptable prices. if they are cheats dot use them but dont be so stupid as to confront them... just smile and say no thank you.

i spoke with a friend from the local police about this and he said that the driver storry sounded different.

he took the tourist to the hotel afte they agreed on the price and when they got there the tourists try to make a run with out paying him. he then confronted them and had a fight. at some point 2 others joined in and he was taking a beating from them.

he then reurned to the car got a knife and went to close the deal... 1 thai against 4 tourists.

I guess the reason it is not headlined is that it has nothing to do with tourists its got to do with 4 idiots that tried to scam a thai and suffered the consequeces.

I agree with the other posts that argue not to use them untill the have a meter running or use a regular one that gies you acceptable prices. if they are cheats dot use them but dont be so stupid as to confront them... just smile and say no thank you.

One more story where stupid farangs (they DO all have small IQs ?) can't understand that a taxi bearing a large sign TAXI-METER in Thailand does NOT (always) uses its meter !!!!

All printed guides should inform the tourists that the purpose of the large sign on top of the car is to slow down the vehicule and that the mention being NOT written in thai has no value whatsoever !

Yes there are always two sides to every story.......

It sounds to me though that if you believe the thai drivers version of the story (which you obviously do), then he was within his right to stab "4 idiots that tried to scam a Thai".

From reading many of your posts it seems you will always believe the Thai persons version of events over the foriegners when more than likely the truth is somewhere in the middle of both versions.

Also I have noticed that you seem to condone violence from Thai's on tourists.

Why is that?

MengWan wrote:

One more story where stupid farangs (they DO all have small IQs ?) can't understand that a taxi bearing a large sign TAXI-METER in Thailand does NOT (always) uses its meter !!!!

How does it follow that a tourist is supposed to know that the sign on taxis stating that they are taxis with meters is not to be taken seriously? How does one's IQ equip him or her to divine this information? (Insert smiley shaking head as if listening to small child)

AAARHH, how can you believe this nonsense story? You dont know this country.

MengWan wrote:

How does it follow that a tourist is supposed to know that the sign on taxis stating that they are taxis with meters is not to be taken seriously? How does one's IQ equip him or her to divine this information? (Insert smiley shaking head as if listening to small child)

Because it is EVIDENT !

It is evident as the fact that straight lines on the roads here do NOT mean "forbidden to pass", that red road signs do NOT mean "stop" and so on ...

Here, everything is different, it is ... thaï !

I Use yellow cabs at least 4 -6 times a month from airport or pier.

We also use the same people for friends business associates and family on arrival.

when you find a good one get there mobile number easy...happily used the same family now for three years.

On the odd ocassion he cannot make the pick up he sends family in Private car.

Bophut to Nathon is 200bht

Airport to bophut 200bht.

To tarnish them all is a bit rough, I am aware however that there are some real Sh*t heads amongst them.

i agree with you,i use the same guy for my airport runs but tourist here for the 1st time cant do that,its time for the government to sort it out now ,besides theres far to many anyway ,they park all day and you cant stop in chaweng or lamai if you have a car.

It sounds to me though that if you believe the thai drivers version of the story (which you obviously do), then he was within his right to stab "4 idiots that tried to scam a Thai".

From reading many of your posts it seems you will always believe the Thai persons version of events over the foriegners when more than likely the truth is somewhere in the middle of both versions.

Why is that?

add me to the list that would like that question answered ,

guess I'm not the only one who's seen your slip highdiver .

Why is that?

come on, dont you get it? highdiver is a farang in the midst of an identity crisis. he thinks he is thai, so accordingly thais can do no wrong in his view

Why is that?

because after living here for over 9 years i am sick of hearing over stuffed ego maniac forigners with a false sense of supiority bitching an whining all day about how thailnd is bad... :o

i condem any act of violence and i also condem hearing only one side of the story.

you are right that the truth is somehwere in the middle. its just that on Thai visa we usualy get only the forigner side of it.

There are 3 sides to every story, i think if 4 guys attacked me and a knife was handy id use it, who knows when they would stop beating you and if,!

There are 3 sides to every story, i think if 4 guys attacked me and a knife was handy id use it, who knows when they would stop beating you and if,!

yes you are right.

i dont know if the thai taxi drivers story is 100% true and the truth as you said has many sides.

I agree with you that a knife is very handy in evening up the odds of 1 versus 4

yes you are right.

i dont know if the thai taxi drivers story is 100% true and the truth as you said has many sides.

I agree with you that a knife is very handy in evening up the odds of 1 versus 4

i would hate to use a knife and never have but if i felt my life was threatened like most id have to protect myself,.

Hello,

could you tell me please the name of the Thai newspaper you got your report from? I would be very grateful for this information.

Thanks!

Rajah

No idea? It is one of 3 daily's all in Thai. It always has gory pictures on the front. This one (I dont have it now I am afraid) had pic. of 1 farang man on a hospital stretcher and 2 more farangs looking over him. Had some sort of neck brace (?) on.

Other photo had pixelated pic. of murdered bar girl by Aussie. No pic of Aussie guy though. BTW bar girl from Patpong not Pattaya my GF tells me.

I'll try to get my girl to point out the name tomorrow at paper shop and will advise if I can find out.

Defitely paper dated 7th. Maybe old copies exist? I know most are also online but all in Thai.

AAARHH, how can you believe this nonsense story? You dont know this country.

without commening on right or wrong, it the same story with 2 different levels of understanding:

they said no meter no pay.

he said they refused to pay.

how do they differ? each attempted to justify themselves in the situation.

he ######ed up, they were ignorant, the result was violence, the truth resides somewhere in between.

Word in the Thai community is that the price was agreed before departure.

It doesn't call for violence in that manner though.

Razzell;

A fiver for you may mean a lot more to a Thai person. 300 Baht buys a lot of things for a person that is on a typical Thai wage of anywhere like 5 to 10K a month. Not saying the taxi driver makes less or more, but in the context of this thread your remark is not in place, although I understand where you are coming from.

Whatever the truth it...It's not worth the aggro over less than a fiver... :o

(That's five pounds sterling to non-Brits :D )

RAZZ

Agree, in the sober light of day it will all seen pretty petty.getting stroppy and principe uptight in thailand does not do you any good whatsoever,

Staff of Q-Bar has been complaining, before this incident, that Cabbies ask exorbitant fees!

Sorry, but Q-Bar to Malibu Resort 300 (even it is less then a "fiver") is outrageous!

In Bangkok it would have been much less then a hundred, for this distance.

If the Cabbie was "attacked", why then he mysteriously disappeared, why hide?

That alone makes him guilty as anything, in my eyes!

Next will some tourist who argues about the incredible high fare, get shot, will this be just O.K. then as well?

Why didn't he call the coppers in the first place?