Warning: Shopping At Mbk Center Is Not Safe

scott69

When I learned to drive, I was told that you should not rely on anyone. If you can't see something, you must wait and check it yourself. I always follow that rule here. If there is a guard that is waiting to "help" me, I generally go look for another spot--I find that you don't have to go far to find a guard who is sleeping and can't be bothered.

Once in a while, I will wave them away--nicely. Most of these guys don't drive and couldn't park a buffalo cart! They've tried to get me to park in a space that was so small it wouldn't be possible to exit through either door!

I'm the driver. I'm responsible.

By the way I have been in MBK several years ago when there was a fire. It was extremely crowded, but most people got out rather quickly. One of the good things to remember is that the parking garage is attached to the building, which means there are a lot more exits. There is also the concourse to the BTS on the second floor. By the way, the fire turned out to be a small electrical fire and we were allowed back in about 5 minutes later--only to have the same thing happen about 10 minutes later. Then I decided to go home.

Places that I worry about being in are huge shopping centers like Central World Plaza where there is no exit except through the ground floor. Good luck getting from the movie theatre to the ground floor if there was a fire in there.

Even a small fire at MBK would kill hundreds Im afraid. I stick to the first couple floors since the prices there are less than impressive up stairs anyway. The culture here does not prepare in advance for hardly any emergency, most feel speaking of or preparing for bad things will bring them about. Just start talking about ghosts or go somewhere where something bad has happened and start talking about it and see what happens :o

There was actually a small fire at MBK a few months back, anyone remember? It killed nobody I believe but it was very small. Everyone was in a panic and it took many a long time to get out. Many in uniform supposedly acted like they had no idea what to do. If it was a bigger fire, than for sure a lot could die from the smoke. Something to think about in that big, crowded place with not enough evacuation space.

Edit: I couldn't find a better article that I remember reading about the panice, but here's a link about the fire.

Edited by Jimjim

Gee...let's see, a Thai security guard probably makes 3-5000 baht a month, and you expect that anybody is going to take the time (or burden the expense) to train him or her?

I agree with the comments about the "parking guards" only getting in the way. If that uniformed kid at my condo keeps standing behind my car blowing his whistle and impeding my efforts to back my car out, I'm going to run him over one of these days.

Gee...let's see, a Thai security guard probably makes 3-5000 baht a month, and you expect that anybody is going to take the time (or burden the expense) to train him or her?

I agree with the comments about the "parking guards" only getting in the way. If that uniformed kid at my condo keeps standing behind my car blowing his whistle and impeding my efforts to back my car out, I'm going to run him over one of these days.

Yea,

I think he should be trained. Should pass a test or somthing. Have some minimum qualifications for being the security guard. Burden and expense? For 15 minutes of intense study?

Posted at a Farang condo, he should know the words HELP or FIRE or AMBULANCE.

You don't agree with that?

I do agree, the whistle blowing is distracting and makes the parking much more difficult.