Farang retiree death in thailand

Martin

The only thing certain in life is that it ends in death. So since it is going to happen sometime, it is probably sensible to know exactly what does happen (bureaucracy-wise).

I am told that your corpse has to be carted off to a hospital, and only a hospital can issue a death certificate, and your passport must be cancelled.

Is this so?. And does the passport have to be cancelled before the death certificate can be issued. Or does the death certificate have to go to the Embassy with the passport for cancellation?

Martin..as you say the only certain thing in life although many of the people I meet seem to think they can avoid it.

Please have a read at brief report from our friends at Pat Ex Pats I posted on the subject.I will look into it further regarding the details,embassy,airlines (get insured and keep it up)and also the undertaker situation.I have had some friends cast off their mortal coils over in Cambodia and the routine was pretty straight forward.Hospital issues death certificate and then down to the wat for a cremation..then back to the pub.If it was to be sent home the only requirement was for someone to travel with the "buddy"...again back to insurance...otherwise £££$$$.

Dieing in thailand  (under travel and survive.) :o

Recently a friend passed away after a lengthy illness and his wife got the village kamnan to sign death cert. Was told by hospital that because he died at home don't bring him in. She is now collecting pension benefits from UK as he was retired gov't worker and they were legally married in UK.