New Diesel-powered Small Cars Available In Thailand ?

North

Hi all,

I wonder, if it is possible to buy a new small car with a diesel engine in Thailand ?

Small = like a Toyota Yaris up to the size of a Corolla (but it does not have to be a Toyota)

Greetings

North :D

Oooops ! :o

I just found out, that I posted in the wrong forum !

Forum moderator, can you please move this topic to the Motor forum, thank you !

Edited by North

• 4 weeks later...

Although I am not addressing the question directly, a huge number of Thais are now using NGV gas in their cars. And from what I've seen most taxi cabs are as well. It burns cleaner than gasoline and costs only a fraction as much. It does not develop as much power however, and I've been told one sacrifices about 10 percent on the performance end. In fact my giflriend and I just visited Chiang Mai for six days with a couple of friends and for three days straight we hired a car and driver. The car was a nice spacious Nissan. The driver said it's the same as the Maxima although in Thailand this model is called by a different name. Performance seemed entirely adequate although on one very steep grade going up a mountain the going was slow but that was on one helluva grade.

Well, I guess I will have to buy a pickup if I want a diesel engine.

Too bad really for more than one reason. Many small diesel cars consume very little fuel and therefore does not pollute the environment as much as the big pickups. The cost of fuel is lower and therefore the need for Thailand to import fuel will be less, finally the owner of the car saves money too.

So I really wonder, why the big car manufacturers does not sell small diesel powered small cars here in Thailand, it does not really make sense, or ?

I once heard the argument that Thai diesel is not to clean enough. I guess it's ok for big engines and Euro techonoly, but not for smaller Japanese ones.

There was also a report on diesel Yaris trip from Bangkok to Trat, but it appeared in Euro magazines, not here.

I once heard the argument that Thai diesel is not to clean enough. I guess it's ok for big engines and Euro techonoly, but not for smaller Japanese ones.

There was also a report on diesel Yaris trip from Bangkok to Trat, but it appeared in Euro magazines, not here.

Its quite surprising really that a great car like the Yaris diesel is made but not sold here.

Can we get Toyota reading TV?

Cheers