Expensive Traditional Massage?

bangkoksingapore

the price doesn't quarantee the quality - just walking in is just pot of luck what treatment you will get. The best is to have a reccommendation from the locals, who know a little about thai massage, and know the market.

In Bangkok on Thonburi I have the best massages from the blind therapists for 150 - 180baht/2h - 3k is just a rip off, the worker will get only 100 baht (if they are lucky) and the rest is the profit for the owner.

I would thing some of the most expensive hotels and spas might charge it, but you can get massages for that price in the West, even in the most expensive cities.

The price goes up if it has the word "spa" on the sign out front.

THB 3,000 an hour sounds like something Chiva Som would charge which would be part of an expensive package. These places aren't for us locals (we know better). They cater to the wealthy international crowd who fly in for a few days of R and R.

I go to massage alotz ,as a girl all my massage is non sexual.

I will pay more to go to a nice comfortable place thatz clean and the first impression when u walk in to the place, how lovely smell it is ,the atmosphere ,tranquil surrounding.

Basically somewhere thatz going to make me like a princess for two hrs .

After saying thatz i dont normally spend more than 2000 baht for two hrs.

TigerLily

Ps fyi i normally tip 100 baht per hrs. :o

If I get a bad massage in a nice place I won't go back.

If I get a good massage in a cheaper place thats great.

But I don't enjoy to have a massage in a place thats dirty or smells bad.

I find that if I go to the cheaper places they often don't give me as much respect as I am a young Thai and not a foreigner. I think they expect I will not tip :o

Anyway I go there for the whole experience and if that means paying more for the surroundings thatz ok with me.

As an example you can find a hotel in BKK for as little as 120B /night , but who wants to stay there?

TigerLily

for me the question is - where to get a good value for money. Yes, the places I go for a massage are a bit of tatty, but I go for the treatment because I need one and not to show off - and that's the philosophy of the owners of those places. Despite being shubby the therapists are exellent, with tens of years of experience.

and I did stay in Bangkok in the guest houses for 120baht/night - good, clean places.

That way I can go for a 2h the treatment every single day and take a few weeks holiday - without breaking the bank

for me the question is - where to get a good value for money. Yes, the places I go for a massage are a bit of tatty, but I go for the treatment because I need one and not to show off - and that's the philosophy of the owners of those places. Despite being shubby the therapists are exellent, with tens of years of experience.

and I did stay in Bangkok in the guest houses for 120baht/night - good, clean places.

That way I can go for a 2h the treatment every single day and take a few weeks holiday - without breaking the bank

Who see's you getting a massage so you can show off?

I don't go to show off but to relax.

The surroundings do help me relax.

Maybe its also something to do with me being a girl and choosing a place that feels safe.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your massage.

TigerLily

Used to use the Marriott Spa in Bangkok when an expat (not in Thailand) and here on holiday but the then expensive day package went up from about Bt6000 for two people to about Bt12000 and will be even higher now and at that price, even the luxury is not worth the money.

I regularly go to Bt200 places now I live here and tip moderately.

The title sounds like an oxymoron!

Even 500B/hour often seems like a tourist ripoff to me now, although sometimes the slightly nicer surroundings you can get at that level are worth the extra money. I would guess that the thousands that "spas" and hotels charge go into "branding," the upscale environment, and maybe a tub or two full or roses or orchids- otherwise, what could the difference be in true Thai traditional massage whether given in a hotel or not? The only justification I can imagine for charge such huge rates is if the masseur/masseuse is specially trained (like, officially) in some *other* technique than traditional Thai massage, in which case you would be paying for the additional expertise.

I'm also a generous tipper, but we've had that thread already recently.

"Steven"

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I really wonder what you can get more when you pay 2'000 THB or even more for a traditional Thai massage.

I go to two places, one is in the Soi where I live and costs 300 THB for 2 hours. I give the lady an extra 100 THB tip. The place is clean, I get a foot wash first, fresh cloth and fresh linen on the massage bed. I always ask for the same lady, she knows me and where "it hurts".

Unfortunately sometimes just everybody seems to go there at the same time, so I have a back-up. This is a place, which looks like a very expensive Spa and truly has all the facilities you would expect. But the traditional Thai massage cost also THB 300 for 2 hours.

So just forget these overpriced hotel Spa's, in my experience they are not worth it.